1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New IRON ETHER Pedal: Arcing Prisms

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Mar 25, 2020.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    This just showed up in the world:
    463492370432_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=LXUCRtBq01IAX8T8sVA&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Arcing Prisms is a new pedal I'm introducing today. It combines a frequency shifter and a comb filter/delay line, locked together in a spiraling feedback loop of warped modulation.

"The frequency shifter works differently from the more common pitch shifter - instead of shifting all of the harmonics of your signal proportionally, a frequency shifter shifts everything linearly. At low shift amounts, this results in watery, phaser-like modulation. With larger shifts, it transforms the harmonic makeup of your sound to create a variety wooden and metallic tones similar to marimbas, vibraphones, bells and gongs. Unlike synthesizer pedals, there is no pitch tracking, so it is fully polyphonic and all playing techniques can be used without glitching."

753058938880_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=3rGCy0e0De0AX9P07WJ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

The frequency shifter is placed inside the feedback loop of a delay line, so that every time the sound is repeated, it gets shifted again. With subtle shift amounts and short delay times, this feedback accentuates the phaser-like filtering and cancellation of various frequencies, accessing an unexplored realm of sounds with elements of phasing, flanging, filtering, and vibrato all at the same time. With larger shift amounts and longer delay times, this feedback creates otherworldly gamelan-like arpeggios with timbres that shift with each repeat, or evolving synthetic textures.

The large hexagon mode gives access to the full range of delay times (up to around one second) and frequency shifting, perfect for far-out sound design. The small triangle mode limits the delay line to very short times and the shifting to only a small range around 0, making it easy to dial in more mellow modulation tones.

Expression control can be routed to delay time, frequency shift amount, or feedback, with an expression attenuator built in to dial in the perfect range of control. Using an expression pedal with Arcing Prisms opens up many unique and musical avenues of articulation.

I have one incoming...

2. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Nice. This seems like an amazingly fun toy, but I have no idea where I would use these sounds in a band. If I had less gear, I would be buying one of these...

3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    i have a place Or two I could use this on stage... but I’d totally have some sounds in front of it (synth, envelope, fuzz, etc)

Grahams Groove likes this.
  4. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    I did not need to know this thing exists...

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    You're welcome. ;) I've been not ordering any new effects (in effect since whenever in the fall I got my SA C4 & Aftershock) but I decided this one looked interesting and that it would be fun to get in on the ground floor of @Taylor Livingston's newest.

DrMole, AlvarHanso and Bassgeer like this.
  6. Bassgeer

Bassgeer

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    Ordered!!! Some of the sounds in the demos are almost ring mod-ish and beautifully dissonant. Can't wait to put it through its paces. Cool that it can get some normal-ish delay sounds as well.

Really cool finish on the pedal as well!

BurningSkies likes this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yeah, I think it will shine once you play with what you're feeding it too. It reminds me of some of the delay sounds out of pedals like the Particle too.

Bassgeer likes this.
  8. Bassgeer

Bassgeer

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    I have a C4 and an Iron Ether FMeron that I plan to pair with this, it should get pretty trippy pretty quickly, especially with the FMeron!

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I obviously play with a bunch of layers anyway, but I have one really aggressively noisy and weird thing I do with a Mantic Flex-Pro, that really does it's best work when you're on your knees manipulating the controls and switches in a live setting...and it's gonna love this behind it.

Bassgeer likes this.
  10. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    I just ordered the new Oceans 12, which I am fine with waiting on as long as NYC needs to be shutdown. It's getting crazy up there. Hope you and upstate is doing okay @BurningSkies .

I am even sadder to hear there's a video for this already. I may as well get it over with so I at least know whether it's I gotta have this now or can hold off. Damn these pedalmakers and their anticipation of my needs before I even know it's a need! Also, check the Oceans 12, it has a Tide feature that washes the sound across the stereo field, and imagine Arcing Prisms across the stereo field...

cosmicevan and BurningSkies like this.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I'm REALLY glad I subbed out a gig in NYC on 3/11. ; ) Then I made a judgement call to say then that I wasn't doing any gig traveling for March and possibly April. Things have unfolded from there. I'm one of the few lucky ones with a regular day job that has transitioned to work from home right now, and I live outside of the Syracuse metro area, so it's a bit thinner out here. But people are sick and dying just the same. Lucky to be hunkered down in a house I own, on a decent bit of land with heat and internet and enough space that Mrs. Skies and I don't feel like we're living on top of each other. Still waking up every morning at 6am and playing bass for an hour or two and keeping to my routine. That kind of stuff helps in the chaos.

Happy to give Taylor a little hard earned cash right now too.

9c1ny, catcauphonic and HolmeBass like this.
  12. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    How much for one of these little beauties?

13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    We will all probably be home bound for the balance of 2020 if not longer. Now is THE time to get a pedal that would have no use in the real world. Get them toys.

14. JES

JES Supporting Member

I haven’t used the pedal but in software, the Valhalla FreqEcho, which works similarly, is one of my secret weapons.

That said, I do wish it had tap tempo, a must for any pedal delay I use.

BurningSkies and expatmuso like this.
  15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like an awesome sauce box.

HolmeBass likes this.
  16. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    +

17. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Ever since I recently got a v2 Polytope I'm finding myself to be a big fan of Talor & the IE pedals. I was just looking on the site a few days ago for an F Meron but didn't even notice this one on there. Did I somehow just miss it? What's it retailing for new??

(Sidenote: He'll be releasing a handful of F Merons "in a week or two" he wrote on Sunday.)

DrMole and BurningSkies like this.
  18. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Damn that sounds cool.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    They're $225, which is just about where most of the IE stuff prices out.

I have a Polytope that gets used every live set. It's a great chorus, in my mind the best of the bass-centric ones in the world.

catcauphonic, HolmeBass and HG1180 like this.