1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Kinal DK-5 Custom is nearly complete

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I posted a while back about a custom Kinal DK-5 that's being made for me. There has been several delays, but the end is near. Here's pics of what has been done so far:

DSC02082.
    DSC02083.
    DSC02084.
    DSC02085.
    DSC02086.
    DSC02139_1.
    DSC02138.
    DSC02143.
    DSC02144.
    DSC02149.
    DSC02150.

He's making a different thumbramp from figured walnut before the final finish work is done. Let me know your thoughts.;)

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Lookin good man....Kinal puts out some of the best looking hollow bodies.

3. Looks beautiful.

4. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Awsome! I love the figuring on the back of the body.

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Mmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

6. You can NEVER have too many clamps!!

Looking good!!!!

7. That looks amazing so far man, I can't wait to see/hear the final prduct!

8. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    In case you're wondering about the crescent shaped truss rod cover, he sent me the original pic with the pickups in place and I could tell there wasn't going to be enough room to slap between the end of the fingerboard and neck pickup. So, he moved the neck pickup back and redesigned the truss rod cover. You can see that in the pics I posted. I'm not too crazy about it, but it looks like it will work and not be a big deal. Does anyone have any comments on that?

9. I noticed that. Compared to the before picture, it looks like ***. Sorry.

10. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Dude, that was harsh. :crying: I don't like the way it turned out, but there's not much I can do about it now. On the bright side, I'll have slapping room.

11. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    DSC02161.
    DSC02160.

More to come....these shots are pre color and finish.

12. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Here's a few of the headstock. There will be some black stain around the edges.... Bass to be complete within the week.

DSC02166.
    DSC02165.

13. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    My new Kinal bass is almost here! It's supposed to arrive on Tuesday! :hyper:

14. Looking forward to seeing completed pics!

15. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    That looks stunning! I wonder what it'll sound like...

16. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    amazing Kinal!!

Mike is an outstanding guy and builds instruments that are hidden gems in today's boutique clique of names.

too bad you had to do a 'post build/cut/glue' mod but as for the truss rod cover covering up the newly requested stuff... well, I'd like to know what any other luthier would've said or done. in that pic, doesn't quite look NAMM ready but hey, at the end of the day it's about playability and tone and for the money to quality factor, you're always ahead with a Kinal! :)

gonna be a great week for ya!!

3 cheers for tuesday! :bassist:

17. Wowowowowow!

18. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    It wasn't so much "newly requested" as much as it was miscommunicated. The pics I've posted up until now don't show what he's done with finish or really touching it up. I'll have to see how it sounds and if it will bug me or not. The negative before would have been not enough room to slap, and now it is the change in the truss rod cover. However, it might not look so bad, and I can always get a custom pickguard out of macassar ebony if it really is a problem. I haven't seen pics of it since it's been finished. I just tracked it and it is here in town scheduled to be dropped off tomorrow. I hope I'm home for it...I'm leaving UPS a note just in case! :hyper:

19. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    The new bass is incredible. The finish is gorgeous. Balance is perfect. Everything is immaculate. The truss rod cover is not a big deal, but eventually I'll have a custom made pickguard cover it up. Looking underneath, there is no structural issue at all. I'm glad I had him move the neck pickup--I wouldn't have been able to slap and pop otherwise. Construction quality is top notch, as good as it gets. It blows my MK5-B out of the water, which is another incredible bass, but not in this league. The East pre is amazing and the Kent Armstrong pickups and Graph Tech piezos are fantastic. The new bass reminds me of a Kenneth Lawrence Chamberbass. I will be posting pics this weekend when I replace the batteries in my camera. You won't believe it when you see it. :D

20. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    PICS!!!!

heheheheheh

so cool to hear, can't wait to see it.

cheers!