1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW Line6 G30 wireless - REVIEW !!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Mar 18, 2010.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My new pedalboard is almost complete.
    I had sold my Pedaltrain PT2, EHX BMS, Hardwire Chorus and X2-Plus wireless in order to get some new smaller, simpler and compact setup.

I purchased a Pedaltrain Jr, new MXR MicroChorus and got this new Line6 G30 wireless system today.

REVIEW...

Construction:
    I came from the X2-plus wich was had a metal chassis, but also used to have the regular simpler X2 wich had a plastic casing. This G30 is the substitute for the lower range "plastic" X2. The G30 is made of plastic, but if feels and looks way more sturdy, compact and well made. The unit is so lightweight that you feel that something's missing.

The receiver is a little bigger than a regular Boss pedal and a little bigger than it's predecessor. It does offer "power", "signal" & "battery" LEDs; unlike the X2 which didn't have a "battery" life meter on the receiver.

The transmitter is super small.
    And the major reason I was sold on this unit, a 1/4" to 1/4" CABLE, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!.
    I had 3 custom Neutrik cables made for my X2-Plus because the 1/8" connection always became flimsy and damaged. The stock cable is short and not bad, but I'm going to get a straight =angled cable to use on my basses. Since any instrument cable works, it should be no problem.

It now used 2 AA batteries which should be less expensive than buying 9Vs.
    Comes with a DC Adapter, but I powered it with my BBE SupaCharger using a regular cable (not the red ones) into input 5 or 6.

Sound:
    Line6 did not mess this up. The sound is crystal clear and has no compression or bass loss. The CableTone switch can give you the sound of a 15 or 30 foot cable. You notice a little treble loss when you go through them. The 15ft cable setting sounded the same as my 6ft DiMarzio cable.
    With CableTone off, you get the full-range lows, mids and specially high end that we miss with most cables.

Range:
    I went through all my house playing and only had the signal broken, not lost, when I had gone through 4-5 cement walls and about 60-70 feet away from the receiver. Pretty impressive since I never stray that far away on a gig, and either way, with no cement walls in between I should have no problem if I did.

Cons:
    Only one.
    The battery door compartment may be a problem in the future. It has a small "knob" that you move to once side and the latch door opens. I prefer when you actually have to move the whole door to one side for it to open.

Overall. I got exactly what I wanted.
    Same sound quality as the X2s but with better construction, smaller size, better look and 1'4" cable!

Will give more info about battery life when I get to use it for a while.

Attached Files:

2. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Thats a nice review. I was looking on buying this wireless system but wasn't sure. This review convinced me and I'm going to buy this wireless system to put in my pedalboard as soon as I get some money!!:bassist:

3. how much are they, I did not know they were available yet !!!

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Nice! And the price aint too bad. I might just get rid of my shure now.

MF has'em at 299

5. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Mike....less talking and more creating. Mutron III, Mutron III, Jet Phaser, Jet Phaser, rah rah rah!! ;)

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Odd, not a single one I can find on ebay. That rarely happens.

7. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    The 1/4" to 1/4" might just make me sell my X2 and get one. The stupid cable with the X2 is really annoying. I always clip my wireless to the bottom of my strap, so I only ever need a 6" or so cable.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They're $299 and I got it from Sweetwater, I had them contact me as soon as they got some, and they did.

Great service as always from them.

9. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Got mine yesterday. I also have a G50 on order, so I plan to send back one of them. So far I'm very impressed. Haven't checked the range on a gig yet, but the 1/4" cable rules. I had a very short right angle to right angle 1/4" and it works perfectly. With the transmitter on my strap, the cable is the perfect length with no dangling or anything. The transmitter fits very snuggly on my strap, so it should work fine. Plus, the battery door is excellent.

Am I the only person who thought the WORST feature on the X2 was the cover for the 9-volt on the transmitter? That's how mine finally died. I was changing the battery during a set break, my fingers slipped as I was attaching the battery to the 9-volt clip, and I must have jerked a wire loose inside. What a piece of crap. The door was always fidgety and I was always afraid it was going to break, then you have to deal with the 9-volt clip and the short wires for it. Ugh!!!

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Glad you like it. I love the 1/4" for sure.
    I'm gonna buy a pair of 1.5' cables that are the perfect length for my basses and strap.

11. bunny10

bunny10

Mar 11, 2006
    How do you know when the battery is getting low?

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    As sad as this may sound, that 1/4'' inch plug is A BREAK THROUGH. These are flying off our shelves in my GC store. They sound great as well. I'm glad to see a review on it though, thanks.

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of course, no problem.
    But yes, that cable is one of those things that made me think: "so I had to wait till 2010 for somebody to finally use regular cables on wireless systems??????".

Really, why didn't anyone think of that before????

14. The G50 will be mine. I was beginning to doubt that I'd ever have GAS for a Line 6 product.

15. ...*and then he realizes that the G50 transmitter has a TA4f input.*

:rollno:

16. Glad you're liking it. After I went on about it I'd feel bad if you hated it... ;)

17. The transmitter has a led. It is blue normally. It starts flashing red when power is getting low, solid red when it really is getting low. Or something like that. The best part is that there is a power indicator on the receiver as well!
    On the receiver you have 3 green bars that indicate full battery. It goes down to two, then one, then it flashes (red, I think?) when it's getting low. I'm lazy to look at the manual now. I tried to play until the battery ran out once when I noticed it was already very low... and I got bored with it. It was well above the 8h that Line6 state batteries should last (straight AA Duracells).

I buy big packs of Duracells from CostCo, and I use a set per couple of gigs, then the semi-used batteries get finished during rehearsals. I use the wireless all the time now.

18. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, that's exactly true. The battery indicator on both transmitter and receiver are a big addition to this, the cheapest of the new Line6 wireless. The past X2s you needed to get the Plus or Rackmount version to get a battery indicator on the receiver.

19. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    Never had a wireless set up before, and this one sounds like it'd be a good one to get in on. My question for you guys is, which do you use; the passive or active input on your amp with these?
    thanks,

20. bunny10

bunny10

Mar 11, 2006
    Where is the ta4f input?

Are you saying it doesn't have a 1/4" connector?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020