New Metallica album. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NortyFiner, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Just heard Metallica's "Moth Into Flame" on the radio, and for the first time in years, I'm actually impressed by a Metallica tune. I don't know what the rest of the new album is like, but at least this one song definitely has some of the old "Kill 'em All" Diamond Head vibe to it. Must investigate further. Anyone have any input on it?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    There are three new songs up with videos on YT.

Very good, I think, as a guy who really enjoyed the s/t "black" album but basically lost real interest after "...AJFA" and I only really loved "Lighting" and "Puppets".

The singing sounds a bit laid back. Good balance of pitch and delivery, for Hetfield, but the sound and tempo of the songs needs more energy I think. In the latest video "Atlas Rise" we see James looking fairly sedate while recording the vocals, as he reads the lyrics off a sheet. I hope that's just footage of scratch vocals, but the real thing sounds like that's how they may've been actually recorded. You need the lyrics memorized and veins bulging in your neck and forehead to do that #### right.

Very glad that Kirk is finally laying off what Wah-wah pedal, and playing some solos that are nearly tasteful. Live, Lars has never played better.

Kudos to them for enduring, sticking it to the nay-sayers and haters, and doing an exceptional amount for the genre including smaller/forgotten bands deserving of the massive royalty checks Metallica has provided them. Multi-platinum arena bands will never be my thing, but "Godpseed ye, Metallica" I say.

Atshen likes this.
  3. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Get ready. The Metallica haters will be here soon, like sharks to chummed water.

4. Tectonic

Tectonic

Oct 14, 2010
    They rock for old geezers

5. I was at Barnes and Noble today and noticed they had the new Metallica album and Megadeth right next to each other on vinyl. In fact they had a little metal section so I bought Rust in Peace and Hardwired... deluxe edition.

StayLow likes this.
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Best they've done in years but I'm still uninterested. They used to be my favorite band.

jfh2112 likes this.
  7. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    They're still together ?

8. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    The only "metal" band my GF, a classical composer, likes, so she is getting the new CD for Christmas. I'll always remember them as a punk band, though!

9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That's an ironic statement given how many ancient artists people still fawn over on TB. Or how old Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and especially Black Sabbath are.

10. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    I've had some time to chew on this album now, and as a long time Metallica fan, I have to give my full approval of the whole album. Even the slower, "load era" type songs that aren't really my thing, seem to have a bit more bite to them, and the renewed thrash sound on about half the songs makes me extremely happy. I also enjoy that they seem to be set on making every song on the album a "single" and filming at least a studio video for it. Pretty cool.

In regards to their age, while they took a detour out of the thrash realm for a while, age is not a determining factor on bad assness. Check out anthrax's new album. They're still on tour (with slayer and death angel last month) and absolutely killing it. Megadeths latest was awesome as well.

MHT75 likes this.
  11. Tectonic

Tectonic

Oct 14, 2010
    All of those bands rock for their age.

12. Tectonic

Tectonic

Oct 14, 2010
    i am not a fan of Anthrax's new stuff. They still rock though.

byoung93888 and kikstand454 like this.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Was this another Bob Rock effort?

14. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I think its just weird that a lot of people keep bringing up Metallica's age. No one brings that up about the bands I mentioned, about Testament releasing probably their heaviest album this year, or about bands like Napalm Death and Carcass (who are close to Metallica in age) still being heavier than most bands could dream of.
    How did Metallica get saddled with the "dad metal" name?

byoung93888 and MHT75 like this.
  15. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Haven't heard it, don't have any intentions of hearing it and don't really care.

Lars Ulrich is a major jerk and sucks at playing drums (I played with drummers who would be able to play circles around him, just to put things in perspective.) and James Hetfield is not too good either.

They can't come up with anything new and just circles around like vultures of the corpse that once was Metallica to extract the last money they can squeeze out of that concept.

The last decent record they made was ...and justice for all, and that despite Lars Ulric didn't think we deserved to be able to hear Jason's bass.

The stuff they made from there is as good as anything on Mc Donald's menu card, you might as well pick up a Justin Bieber record, it's no better, a product made for them and their record company to earn more money, no more.

That's my honest thoughts about Metallica and their new record!

Also Lars Ulric ought to put down that Danish flag on his drums, I am ashamed of him representing my country!

It's quite some riddle what ever
    Robert Trujillo see in that band, he's a killer bass player and seem like a really nice down to earth kind of guy as well, but I guess they pay him well.

I guess if someone payed me millions to be a laughing stock, I would consider it as well, even if I could do way better musically.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  16. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Quick version:
    If you like Metallica's work since the Black Album, you will like Hardwired. If you don't; you won't.

Longer Version:
    Hardwired is probably Metallica's best post-Black album release; but that is a hour late and a buck short. If they had released this in 1991, and then none of the albums that came after, I'd be happy. The music is aggressive, the production is better than on most of their recent releases, and the songs are a manageable length. That's the good.
    The bad is that Rob's bass is still too far back, doesn't sound very good, and he isn't being allowed to realize his full potential. The drums are still a little loud and the kicks are pointlessly piercing. Then, after four songs, you really have heard the whole album. There aren't a lot of diverse musical or lyrical themes being explored, so they all kind of blend together.
    For me personally, I just don't care anymore. In recent interviews James has made it pretty clear that the change in the bands focus wasn't accidental, and that they made a decision to go a little more mainstream. That doesn't work for every band, and kudos to them for rounding that corner so they could become one of the most recognizable metal bands in the world. Cool. However, as a consumer, I'm not going to get on board. I've been burnt too many times by them and don't want to take a musical journey that leads me somewhere I don't want to go. When a band changes, I've learned to just let go. Opeth, The Sword, and Metallica- sorry but I just can't take that ride.

17. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    @NortyFiner and @NoiseNinja You would actively have to work to have not heard the whole album by now. They literally released videos on YouTube for the majority of the album. You can go on to Spotify and listen to the whole thing for free. Just hook your phone up to the car stereo and listen to it on your way to work. Super easy.

18. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    As I said I really have no intention deliberately to expose my ears to that kind of garbage.

It might be something for people who like sniffing other peoples farts, and peace be with that, it's just not for me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Pretty decent, but suffers from the same issue that death magnetic had where songs could have been a little more concise. A little bit to long, they need a better producer to help edit out the filler.

20. Tectonic

Tectonic

Oct 14, 2010
    Because they are in general the most popular. I love the Melvins and those guys still can churn out some heavy stuff.
    I can't argue nor do I want to about the bands you've mentioned

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021