Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mike Adler TWELVE STRING BASS????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, Jan 19, 2005.

1. I just checked out Mike Adler's site and it says in bold caps:
    "THE 12 STRING IS COMING":
    http://adlerguitars.com/index.html

Where are the specs????? 12 string WHAT????? Pix?????

How would you tune it? With a low F#???? More information needed!!! :)

JT

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, if it's going to be a non-doubled 12 string, it will surely go below low F# to a low C# striing.

3. the 12 is coming!!

i know jauqo usually knows a lot about adler...maybe he can fill us in...plus i wish those jauqo vids would work...i couldn't find where i could watch them!

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Its probably a new bass for Garry Goodman, I think he was planning to take the extra step and add one more string, woa I cant wait to see this behemoth :hyper:

5. The 11-string already have a low C# string, so I guess they will add a high string. Darn, this one will have to be really thin!

6. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Didn't the guy that got an Adler 11 str talk about the possibility of pushing to a 12 string in an article? I thought I recall reading that. If so, perhaps this is for him?

7. According to Garry Goodman, the Adler 11-string is tuned C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb.

I guess the 12-string could be tuned C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab.

C# is low enough already (even a bit too much, IMO).

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    yes, I had the impression that Garry Goodman had mentioned that somewhere...

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd be impressed with a string that can be tuned to Ab on a 34" scale.

Tuning a .009 to high G on a 25.5" scale is scary enough.

10. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i cant wait till i see whoever got it tear it up. ive heard goodman play and if its his i thiink im going to crap my pants. he is sooo good.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    OMG! I love being a bassist, stuff like this never ceases to amaze me.

What's wrong with a low G#, the 12-string could be tuned G#, C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb.

:eek:

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    cool, a new instrument i get to ridicule :D

:ninja:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ditto. It's not the instrument, it's the strings, at this point.

14. Very cool! I wonder if it'll be at Winter NAMM or Summer NAMM?

15. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    the only 12-string basses i've seen are with 4 trippled strings, i believe Hamer makes one... *shrugs*

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Given the amount of 9, 10 and 11 strings that are being made, I now refuse to be impressed until someone brings out a 15-string bass.

:D

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

C#00 is 17 Hz. That would make G#000 what, around 14 Hz? And the C# string is .198 IIRC.

As difficult as it is to imagine being able to tune a high Ab string to pitch without breaking it, it has to be another high string.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree-think it will be fanned to accomodate the tension of the higher strings?

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    COuldnt you make the higher strings a substantially shorter scal by adopting something similar to the drone string on a banjo? Ie the tuner for the higher strings start about 2/3 of the way up the neck rather than at the headstock. It would look kinda unconventional, but not significantly more than an 11 or 12 string bass does anyway.

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Dang! I was really hoping to hear about another step in the lower direction.