1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Pigtronix compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Has anyone (particularly Bongo) gotten to try the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone yet? I was just curious to see if there's any word on it yet. It looks... intriguing, at the least... as it's apparently a new design, instead of a clone of some sort (not that there's anything wrong with various Ross clones, etc.).

Brian

2. I have read a few guitar reviews and all point to it sounding great. Not sure how different it would be on bass.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's on my radar for sure, but money's too tight for me ATM.

Edit: interesting how "radar" doesn't need to be capitalized anymore. I wonder how long before web acronyms become official as dictionary words in their uncapitalized form.

4. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    My spell-check still tries to change internet to INTERNET.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I saw this for the first time a couple days ago and had no idea how long it's been around. Did it just get released?

At first glance I figured it was a stripped down version of the Attack Sustain the same way the PolySaturator was just the overdrive taken from the Disnortion. Is that not the case?

6. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    HIjack!!

Bongo, your review page says you are looking to review the comps in multi-effects. any interest in reviewing a Boss Gt-6B? I have one that's not getting used right now

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Sure! I can't afford to buy it off you right now, but I'd be happy to pay for postage both ways if you were willing to lend it to me for a while.

Also, I just now sent an email to Dave at Pigtronix asking if he'd send me a Phil.Tone for review. :)

8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I got to see the lot of them fooled with on guitar (at the dallas show), Dave was busy each time I went by so I didn't really get to introduce myself or chat. He was very nice to everyone that came by.

9. Cool. Keep us updated!

Brian

10. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    interested!

I am looking for something small to add sustain, this could be the ticket..

looking forward to hear some clips!

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Be sure to try out a Guyatone ST2 if you can. ;)

12. Radar is an acronym? :confused:

(You guys have spellcheck in your browser? I want to spel good too...:atoz:)

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  14. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    I have had one for a few weeks. It reminds me of the Barber Tone press except it has extra features.
    The controls are Grit, Sustain, Blend, Treble, and Volume
    The main strength is the blend knob. If i set Sustain, and Blend ( mixes uncompressed sound back in) at about 50% i get all the benefits of compression without the squishy suffocation of my dynamics and initial attack. I find there are many tones possible with this little box.
    It also has a Treble knob and a harmonic/distortion knob called Grit.
    The Grit goes from pristine clean at zero to full distortion turned up all the way. Its definitely a unique sounding distortion. its possibly best suited for guitar. i think its a bit harsh and rude sounding. 8)
    The Treble is another story. It is very well suited for bass. nice clean sounding range of effect and hmm lets say it adds sparkle and clarity instead of offending your ears.

Overall, i am thrilled with this thing. It really does make all of my basses sound better without stepping all over my tone. however, tone being subjective as it is...your experience may differ.

Edit: I just spent some time playing with settings and discovered that the "Grit" control had a tamer sound on Bass when i used the Treble control to CUT some of the harshness out of it.

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yes. So are SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) and LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation).

Get Firefox.

16. Ah...I guess I did know that, just forgot since they're so commonly used and known as 'regular' words now.

Anyways, don't mind me, back to your regularly scheduled topic :p

17. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I also think it's interesting that trademarked names are now often used to represent categories of products regardless of the actual brand. (coke for soft drinks, kleenex for tissues, Xerox for copies etc)

Languages change in interesting ways.

18. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    thx, will do. but they are a little hard to come by at my location..

19. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    Belgian Association for the Study of Sleep

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BASS

; )

20. Cool... And not that I don't appreciate your review, but I'm still looking forward to Bongo's chance at it, just to see how it compares to the MANY other compressors he's had experience with.

Brian