1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Punk.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I don't want to start a genre dispute, so when I say punk, let's keep the discussion open to different views of what punk is and isn't. For reference, if the band plays:

Pop-punk
    Punk
    Oi!
    Street Punk
    Crust
    Gridcore
    Melodic Hardcore
    Hardcore
    Ska-punk
    British Punk
    Folk Punk
    Screamo
    Emo

You get the point. If they play those genres, or anything I might have forgotten, its punk.

What are some new punk bands (new as in starting in the past 10 or so years) you guys are spinning?

I've been on a hardcore kick lately, so I really like Rise Against, Strike Anywhere, Comeback Kid, and Gallows. Also, I think the only ska-punkers left that aren't riding the mid-90s reunion tour circuit are Streetlight Manifesto, Big D and the Kids Table, and The Aggrolites. If you guys could recommend any new ska bands, that'd be cool too.

I just have been hard pressed to find stuff outside my little world of punk (80s hardcore, EpiFat/ 90s punk, and the 70s originals). Any expansion to my music collection would be great :)

2. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Oi! I turned punk in '06.

I think you need to listen to O.G. hardcore Punk

Old school Offspring
    Bad Religion
    Rancid
    The Vandals
    Sex Pistols

For Ska bands you missed a few that haven't broken up
    Less Than Jake
    and the
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Also try
    searching punk song lyrics and Myspace for possible band discovery.

NOT trying to spam but, I'm in a band called the Dead Pawns and we give out free cds and stuff just contact Jason our leader/the top guy at our Myspace page. We're friends with numerous punk bands and most of them I can promise you've never even heard of before. So just look around and open your mind and ears.

3. bnstrhbn

bnstrhbn

Dec 3, 2009
    Madison, Wi
    I listen to primarily punk/ska music so maybe my tastes reflect yours. Here are some of my most listened to bands that you may not have heard of.
    We are the Union
    The Flatliners
    Gaslight Anthem
    Thrice
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Polar Bear Club
    Something 2 Do

4. yea its hard to find a "true" punk band these days.
    I always go back to the 80's stuff for punk but for some new stuf thats punk related
    try
    gestapo khazi
    http://www.myspace.com/gestapokhazilongbeach
    a local Long Beach Ca band that has that 70's punk vibe.
    alot of the garage stuff thats came around is punk influenced
    if you want some of that try
    Ty Segall
    http://www.myspace.com/tysegall
    hes from San Fran
    or maybe
    Mika Miko
    http://www.myspace.com/mikamiko
    chick punk but pretty good from L.A.
    So these are band that arent signed to any big labels and play the L.A. / O.C. area alot.
    Not sure if this fits your bill but hey I like it.
    :bassist:

5. The Bosstones are kinda broken up. I like some other ska bands, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Planet Smashers, Mustard Plug, Catch 22, but nothing newer seems to be happening.

And those guys aren't new ;). I've been listening to punk since about '00, so I definitely heard of (and love) all those bands. Also listened to Pennywise, Lagwagon, NoFX, Bouncing Souls, Sick of it All, Refused, etc etc.

I'm look for stuff that's a bit newer. I'm starting to dig the folk-punk scene (Against Me, Hot Water Music, The Menzingers, Gaslight Anthem) but I'd like some hardcore too.

6. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Maybe Senses Fail sorta more emo but, they are relatively new compared to LTJ and Bosstones.

Also Mike Puke he's a guy I'm friends with from Myspace he's over 50 and still rocking out

Maybe listen to my friends bands like Animal Train and The Unpatriotics

OWww I just thought of one check out Leftover Crack
    Very hardcore very polictical and very fun they are sorta like a faster paced Fungazi.

And def. check out Sleezus Fist and the Tatter Day Taints a local Texas band though they are now defunct.

And Bowling For Soup (not new but, kings of the pop punk genre NOT counting the Ramones since you know their dead.)

7. Rise Against is considered hardcore now?

Well, alright. I can't live in this world. I'm gonna go kill myself.

8. Have you listened to the Unraveling album? Or Revolutions Per Minute?

I'd consider them Melodic Hardcore. In the same boat with Strike Anywhere, Bad Religion, Refused, etc. Of course they're nothing like the originals (Minor Threat, Cro-Mags, Husker Du, Misfits, Black Flag, Fugazi, Bad Brains).

Their new stuff is pretty much watered-down punk, but it's still better than say, Metro Station, right?

9. For me, the Armitage Shanks are what it's all about.

10. Oh man. Senses Fail's "Bite to Break Skin" has to be one of my most played songs of the past year. Can't get enough of it.

And Leftover Crack is amazing man. Have you heard all the other crack rock bands like Star F*ing Hipsters, Chocking Victim, Crack Rock Steady 7, and InDK?

I never have really given much listen to Bowling For Soup. Not that I didn't like them, it's just a band I forget about a lot. On the same genre, what happened to Sugarcult?

So I just picked up Gallows' "Grey Britain" album on a whim. I must say, if you want to hear metal mixed with Black Flag and The Sex Pistols, pick this album up. If anybody knows how their bass player gets such a gnarly tone, fill me in.

11. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Set Your Goals:
    Very melodic, politically-charged, hardcore. Different than most political bands, though, in that their stuff is far more "conspiracy-theory" esque. They take a lot of cues from the movie "They Live" and the band The MovieLife.​

Lifetime:
    Excellent hardcore band from my own New Jersey. Taking their cues from "Start Today"-era Gorilla Biscuits, they pioneered what would become known as melodic hardcore. They reformed a couple of years ago and are back together.​

Kid Dynamite:
    Formed from members of Lifetime and some new people (after Lifetime broke up). The sound is similar, but faster and heavier. Much better, in my humble opinion. Unfortunately, a reformation of this band seems unlikely.​

Guttermouth:
    Funny, NOFX wannabes. Very old school skate-punk. Their best album (in my opinion) is "Covered With Ants," which combines crude bathroom humor, fast punk guitars, and even some bluegrass instrumentation.​

Screeching Weasel:
    They just recently got together again. Excellent band. They pioneered pop-punk in the 80s and 90s by combining hardcore rhythms and the melodic buzzsaw guitars of the Ramones.​

Four Year Strong:
    You might not like them so much. They're a more modern melodic hardcore band. They steal the double-bass drum beats, drop-tunings, and rhythmic syncopation of metalcore and combine it with major-scale melodies.​

12. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Rancid

13. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Rancid

Sorry I missed the part about having been started in the past ten years.

14. JacobE

JacobE

Jul 19, 2008
    eddie current suppresion ring

got a nice stoogesesque feel to it

15. Kind of like A Day To Remember type stuff? ADTR is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine haha.

16. thedrones

thedrones

Nov 19, 2009
    los angeles
    no age

17. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    my main bands i listen to are portland local bands.. they range from ska to thrash to even like irish punk... heres a few they all have myspace pages btw.

hammered grunts, rum rebellion, leave no one behind, puke n rally, mdc( started in texas, moved to california and then later to pdx) nux vomecia, resist.

then for bigger bands i have been into. lower class brats, rancid, misfits, the restarts, krumbums, a global threat,

And i cant belive bands like thrice and rise against are considered punk... just like how mtv calls fall out boy punk.

18. I know I sound like a huge fanboy, but I really do think Rise Against is punk. Their most recent album isn't too heavy, but listen to "Everchanging" and "Gesetheme" and come back to me.

19. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    No Age is awesome. They're not strict purist punk, but punk enough to make me feel like an old man after a concert. I couldn't hear a single thing anyone said after their show I went to- I was probably twenty feet from the guitarist, who was playing through a Marshall, a Fender amp, and an Ampeg SVT all at once.

20. ^agreed^
    seen them 4 times. great band.