1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new strings keep tuning up

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by shadowhywind, Feb 26, 2008.

1. shadowhywind

shadowhywind

Feb 17, 2007
    I am having a bit of a problem, and don't know if this is normal or not. my belcantos have been tuning up about a quarter of a step (somewhere between a g and a g#) at first i thought they were because they were new. But the G & D have been on since about middle of December and the A & E have been on since middle of January. The room is stable, (same temp/humidity) so i have no idea anymore never had this issue with my obliagtos. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Does the pitch move a lot?
    Is the bridge warping or tilting toward the fingerboard?

3. shadowhywind

shadowhywind

Feb 17, 2007
    it will move up somewhere between 24-48 hours of not playing.
    The bridge isn't warping and the bridge was leaning forward at first, but that was my fault not the strings (i didn't reset/check the bridge when i changed my strings). But i refixed that about 2 weeks ago.

4. Maybe something is going wrong with your bass.
    I suggest you bring it to a qualified luthier for inspection.

5. shadowhywind

shadowhywind

Feb 17, 2007
    But why directly after changing the strings? Never had the issue with the old set, thats why i was thinking it may be the strings

6. Changed them one at a time, or all together?

The tension is probably much higher on the top with the Belcantos.

Dunno, just guesses!
    :)

Good luck!
    François

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I had some drifting issues with the Belcanto strings. They'll settle in. Hang in there for a while longer.

8. shadowhywind

shadowhywind

Feb 17, 2007
    Well I think they are finally starting to settle in. Been about a week without having to tune them. So guess i was worrying for nothing. Thanks for the help