Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the Bass......

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Viperbeam, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Viperbeam

Viperbeam

Nov 19, 2004
    Hello I just picked up and got a Ibanez SRX 4 String Bass. With a Berhinger amp. I have no exp. with the bass so I was wondering what would be a good place to learn how to play,tune, and everything I need to know about the bass?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You've come to the right place. A quick search of the General Instruction and Technique forums will answer many questions you may have. One of the best things you can do is find a teacher in your area. Even if you do not have extra time on hands for lessons, going to an instructor once or twice a month helps alot. Good luck!

3. Viperbeam

Viperbeam

Nov 19, 2004
    I was thinking about getting a instructor and he only charges 20 bucks a hour and I can go once a week.

4. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    Try the book Bass Guitar for Dummies. (Don't let the title put you off; many "for Dummies" books are smart introductory guides.)

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

That is exactly what you should do.

An instructor should keep you from developing bad habits that will be hard to correct later on in life. You will also be able to ask questions and get direct answers until you fully understand the material being presented. They will also be able to physically show you how to do something.
    A good instructor will also teach you more than just how to play a tune, they will teach you the tools you need to decipher the tune and find out why it all works together.

6. Agreed. but make sure that the teacher is actually worth while and not just sitting in there for an hour teaching you nothing at all.

i wouldnt be where i am today without my teacher.

also, it wouldnt hurt to get a book or two, as mentioned before. they can help you along the way and can always be used a refrences for when you are practicing by yourself.

Good luck broham.

7. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Welcome to talkbass.

Take lessons.

Always be on the lookout for a better teacher.

Be willing to quit if you find a better teacher. Be business like. If Jeff Gordan needs a better engine, he pulls out the one he is using and moves forward with no looking back. Be willing to submit to a great teacher. They are gonna make you do things you may not wanna do. Don't quit just because you are not doing "what you want". Quit if you are not improving and if you find a better teacher.

Learn songs from beginning to end. Do not just learn the fun parts. Learn the SONG. Call a friend. Yo, I know Sk8ter Boi, lets get together and play that song 15 times in a row from beginning to end this Saturday. Kurt Cobain drove Nirvana to play their song set over and over and over in practice. I do not play with guys who are just gonna zip through a couple a songs for fun.

Eric Claption did not wait until he was "good enough" to play with other people. He got good playing with other people.

tim99.