New Traynor YBA 100!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qwench, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Agreed.

I do find it odd though - years ago I applied for a job there ( around 2000) and they were physically plugging in and testing every amp as it came off the line. I got a very cool tour of their facilities!

You would think faulty tubes would show up.

PillO likes this.
  2. Maybe @GrapeBass could find time to speak with the engineers and let them know what has been going on. Regardless, i would not hesitate to contact them, they really are good people, many of whom have worked their entire careers at Yorkville.
    Fishheadejoe

RevGroove, Loring, PillO and 2 others like this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    BTW anyone who says theirs isn't as loud as a V4B should try a new set of preamp tubes - mine now kills small animals no prob :) .

azwhofan, Iommian, Loring and 3 others like this.
  4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The circuits they used aren't as dependent on tube gain as typical guitar amps - below 1 gain cathode followers and gain stages that lack cathode resistor bypass capacitors are mostly to somewhat tolerant of crap tubes (good engineering these days IMO). But you can go from "meh" (or worse) to "holy poop!" with a proper set of $15 each preamp tubes. As I said I have yet to check out the power tubes to see if they are 100% in spec.

BTW I'm still running the gain at full on and find that once the tubes heat up for a song or two that there is (just) enough gain for the preamp overdrive to satisfy me. And I'll say again that the amp itself is beautifully constructed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Loring, PillO and Lowendtech like this.
  5. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    All I could suggest is to contact our service department to let them know. I think their email address is [email protected]

Forms from the website
    Email Forms
    Feedback Form
    Field Failure Form

RevGroove, seamonkey, Loring and 2 others like this.
  6. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    All I could suggest is to contact our service department to let them know. I think their email address is [email protected]

Forms from the website
    Email Forms
    Feedback Form
    Field Failure Form

RevGroove, seamonkey and PillO like this.
  7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I see he was just here reading this thread :) . But dunno if he has a position there where he can be heard - big companies tend to dislike bad news. Anybody from Traynor wants to reach out feel free but I'm not gonna go beating on their door. The less people that buy these amps or the more that return them the more mine will be worth LOL. As for TBers, you now know what to look for and how to fix it for under $50. Tubes will always be a PITA, embrace the suck or go back to SS (love my TH350).

One danger of most tube testers (even the expensive mutual conductance ones) is that they do not fully test the tube under the target operating conditions. The cheaparse EMC 213 emissions tester I'm using is of a class of testers that can give "false goods" for certain types of faults as can the more expensive ones for different kinds of faults. None give "false bads" AFAIK but a tube that tests low may still function somewhat in some circuits. I'm assembling another tester that can do actual gain and plate resistance measurements at real operating conditions up to 450 volts 300 milliamps - but can't look for shorts and low cathode emission so the two testers will complement each other nicely :) .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Loring and PillO like this.
  8. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I work in the engineering department but feedback through the sales department get heard much better than from my position. What I've learned from the person in charge of the final test and assembly area is that we're having lots of issues with tube suppliers. These are challenging times.

FYI played through the release candidate for the BB115 today, it's friggin' LOUD!

Drog, RoadRanger, RevGroove and 4 others like this.
  9. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Huh, whazzat?

never mind. Found it.

Roxbororob and PillO like this.
  10. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yup - even Behringer is in-house testing their tubes (according to them) as you just can't trust the suppliers.
    Bugera | Our Story
    If they know you aren't in-house testing (AKA rejecting the duds) the communists will for sure ship you the ones other manufacturers have rejected LOL. There is absolutely no way any of the six I was shipped could have passed a real in-house QC/test. I'd contact Traynor and try to get them to ship me some good ones but unless they have changed their QC I'd probably just get another six duds ... not worth the effort. Hopefully someone will let us know when they start shipping awesome from the factory with no re-tubing needed :) .

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    GrapeBass and PillO like this.
  11. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    Well I will tell you that I got one of the early runs and the JJs that shipped with it all had good gain. I wasnt happy with the sound of those tubes so I rolled in some new ones. Some NOS and some Mullards from Tube Depot. One of the Mullards out of the box had really low gain so they sent me another. That long plate was good for maybe three uses in the amp before it crapped out. I replaced it with a GE 5751 in slot 3 and have been happy ever since. TD has good customer service and I did have the tubes tested before shipping which is extra, but there is no way they can tell how long some of these are going to last. I still have one of there Mullards in slot 2 and seems to be holding up well. I have never had this problem with NOS tubes so I will stick to the oldies but goodies.

PillO and Murch like this.
  12. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I swapped mine out with Mesa tubes - Mesa gets first kick at the can with most tube types (12AX7 and 6L6), and test everything, so you're pretty certain to be getting the good stuff. The preamp tubes look like JJ (the SPAX7 is hard to tell though, as it's got a rubber sheath), and no idea who makes their 6L6s currently, though I *suspect* that they may be Ruby.

PillO and Murch like this.
  13. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yeah, I was surprised that mine didn't have JJ's as folks on this thread reported that was what was in theirs - as I said if I had known that mine had Sovtek 12AX7WA's instead I would have ordered JJ's instead of the 12AX7WB's I bought but they work good enough for me - but I'm not all that choosy.
    What didn't you like about the JJ's? Want to sell them? :)
    Their website says ALL of their tubes are tested by them - but you can pay extra for certain additional testing like selection for high gain (meh) or balanced triodes (probably a good idea for the phase amplifier section).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    PillO likes this.
  14. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'm messing about with a few other (guitar) amps and just ordered up some 12AT7's selected for balance for phase inverter duty - anybody tried one in the phase amplifier slot of their YBA100?

PillO likes this.
  15. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hmm... Anyone out there know what output tubes came in their amp? I kindof assumed they would be 6L6GC's but I've seen nothing that says you can't use any type of 6L6, even the original 19 watt version :wideyed:.

In any case I'll try to pull mine tomorrow for a look-see and also measure the balance and limits of the "normal" bias range.

As the amp is already rated for the greater filament current of EL34's I suspect it would handle 6550's as well if one was so inclined.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    TrevorOfDoom and PillO like this.
  16. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    The original JJs were ECC83S and sounded very dark playing my G&L L2000. The humbuckers easily over drove those short plate preamp tubes even through the padded input. I could not hear any difference in series or parallel. It was all mud. I picked up some long plate JJ ECc803s, Mullard and NOS Sylvania. So much more clarity now in those big beefy humbuckers, but I will keep the short plates as back up.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021