Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New US made Tube amp from Ashdown!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before -- I did a search and didn't see anything -- but according to Ashdown's website their previously announced US made line of amps will be offering a 400 watt tube head... the BTA400.

[​IMG]

I adore my ABM 500 evo II... gotta say I'm really curious about this. The styling is definitely right up my alley, and the available features sound like they'd make for a heckuva tube amp... as far as I'm concerned the preamp on the ABM line is about as usable as they come.

They mention that it'll be an "exceptional value for the money", which seems to imply that they won't be terribly expensive... Anyone know any more details such as release date or projected MSRP, etc?

for more info: http://ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=us&c=true

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Crap, I can't see the pictures here at work, but I am very excited about this. I'd love to see more entries into the mid-priced tube amp catagory.

8x KT88 !! That's going to be massive!!

3. Bassflute

Bassflute Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    likely $3,000. And 85+ lbs. And temperamental. Don't transport it in the trunk of your car in the winter to and from gigs. Let it warm up for 1/2 an hour before you play it. And let it cool down completely before you move it - those are the laws of tubes that we lived by for years, unless you like replacing power amp tubes for $200.00+ every 3 months.

But it will probably sound really good.

But not as good as

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485146

Cheers,
    Cameron

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Huh. kewl.
    400 watts, what ohm capability?

The cabs look nice, no wieghts listed.

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston
    Oh man, there go my next few paychecks.
    And I abuse the **** out of my 25 year old SVT-100, and its always fired right up, so hopefully a new tube amp will be nice a reliable. Why can't you leave a tube amp in your car in the winter? Those tubes are meant to deal with temperature variations of hundreds of degrees more than the difference between my apartment and the 10 degree Boston winter...
    It will be heavy, though! Unless they use some newer style power supplies. I don't know why they didn't make a 200 watter a la Traynors (but with a useable preamp...) 400 tube watts is totally excessive for any forseeable situation.

Also, I thought the preamp of the ABM was pretty much solid-state with a tube-driven "drive" knob? Would that make this amp's preamp SS and the power section tube (a la old Music Man heads)?

6. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This is awesome:
    BTA=Big Tube Amp.

At last, honesty in marketing;)

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
  9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I wrote to Ashdown to see if i can get any more info regarding release date and possible retail price... i'll post if i get anything worth hearing.

10. This looks awesome but +1 on it being complete overkill. I'd def like to see a 200w version

11. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA

hard to say how Ashdown will price these. Their ABM line is an incredible value for the money, IMO. The UK made classics however, are stupidly expensive... which is supposedly why they moved production to the states, to keep costs down for US buyers. They mentioned wanting to keep prices about 25% lower than the classic line, which is still a bit high, and it's hard to tell how the slide in the economy plus the raise in value for the US dollar will affect the pricing...

Luckily a good friend of mine still has his endorsement deal from when he was in a major-label band... I'm sure the discount will help quite nicely!

12. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I like those ABM preamps but that thing probably sounds like heaven.

13. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I hope they make a magstyle (simpler layout, less features) 200 watter!

14. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
  15. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    That's a sweet amp!!!

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    For the heck of it I took a look at MusiciansFriend's ashdown stock and it's kinda interesting... looks like they're not carrying any of the ABM line at the moment... must have sold off the remaining abm evo II's and the III's aren't in yet? They do carry the Klystron 1000 (which is basically a dressed up version of the ABM 900 evo III), and they seem to have dropped the price quite a bit... it's only $1199, but they're out of stock for 32 days... Weird that you can't get any of the upper tier Ashdowns from MF at the moment. Must be a period of transition or something.

17. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Isnt it because of the new Ashdown distributor?

18. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    holy hell i wanna hear how that sounds. and it doesn't suffer from what so many other bass amps seem to: it actually looks killer.

i'm looking at you, markbass

19. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    hadn't heard about that, but I think that would make sense. Are they still going to be available at all the normal sources? When I bought my ABM 500 last year I was able to score a killer deal from music123 when they had a phone-only sale... got it for $600 flat brand new.