1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Question :|

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DemonDan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi people,
    i'm quite new to basses and music in general, gonna buy a yamaha rbx374 or rbx270j after this weekend. but thats not the question the amp is my problem. where i'm staying at the moment i have a very limited choice of amps, best newbie amp i saw was a VOX Pathfinder 15R for a pretty reasonable price.
    can that be my practice amp for a while till i get back home?:confused:

thanks in advance, Dan

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nah, it's made for guitar. If you have one already and want to play it, be careful not to put too much low end or volume on it and it should be OK. If you're shopping for a practice amp, forget it and get a bass amp with a cab suited for bass.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    SWR and Peavey have good inexpensive amps with very practical features. Well, most beginner combos are similar.

4. thanks for the help, if you have any more suggestions i would love to hear them

5. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I would suggest going into a music store, and playing through some of the setups and comparing prices, then checking prices online etc. What is your budget?

6. ok, first my budget for the amp alone is upto 400$ but the problem is that where i am at the moment there are no music stores i am far far away from home and stuck here, the thing i can do is order a specific model and they will hopefully ship one for me, cant use internet stores or any such thing pretty much stone age. :|

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you cannot order online, your only option is to buy a BASS amp locally, whatever you can find. A guitar combo is not suitable, as the speakers can be destroyed easily. best of luck to ya.

8. Mr.Matti

Mr.Matti Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    You can post to an online forum, but you can't use an internet store? Yet you have an address that can be shipped to?

9. i'm a 17 year old US born guy living in iran till i finish high school and be able to go back to the US. as u might or might not know, iran is being globally sanctioned so i cant order online.i just need an amp that lets me practice for a while till i'm able to go back home.

10. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, Iran huh? Hope school is over soon, bro. Spent 3 weeks in Saudi Arabia a long time ago, and I couldn't wait to get back home, and there wasn't even any conflict going on.

Well if you absolutely have to have something, just be very careful and barely turn it on and it'll be OK. Me, I'd probably just run an adapter into my computer and use headphones rather than buy an amp that wont work very well for you.

12. ON the ONE

ON the ONE

Nov 20, 2010
    Maine
    One more consideration is resale. I have a friend who lived in Iraq and bought a bass combo that wouldn't work on our US power system. He ended up having to change the transformer once he got home.

13. Good Luck Dude! Be safe, and get your butt back home soon!

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  15. thanks for the help, i might be able to come across a Peavey Max126 bass amp or fender rumble 15 would they be good if i couldnt find anything else?

16. this may be a far out idea....but why don't you have someone buy an amp that isn't in Iran and have them ship it to you (if that's possible)

17. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Those would work, and won't break your budget.
    All the best,

18. lets just hope i find them

19. Checkout the Gallien-Krueger MB115 Bass Combo Amp. $400, 200W, 15" Speaker, 35lbs, and they sound awesome.