1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Next poll... What's your favorite pick up configuration?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thumb n Fingers, Sep 15, 2017.

1. single P

19.3%
  2. double J

15.6%
  3. single humbucker

6.4%
  4. double humbucker

18.3%
  5. P/J combo

21.1%
  6. other (please specify)

19.3%
  1. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    So from my previous post regarding favorite body styles What's your favorite bass body style (and why?), the polls showed Jazz and Precisions running away with it, with some honorable mentions for Thunderbirds, Spector NS-2's, Rickenbackers, and Ibanez SR body styles.

With this in mind, off to the drawing board to try to incorporate what I like best from these syles into a bass that I can repeatedly re-make.

So the next question (without noting specific brands or models), is what pick up configuration do you all like that best? As a post, let me know your preference to active or passive out of curiosity. I think I already have a preconceived notion as to what I'm going to do, but I'd like to see the responses on this also.

Thank you all in advance for your time, votes, and reponses.

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    P + reverse P

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  3. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    P/P

I don't have experience with reverse P/reverse P, but I imagine that it's mostly the same thing just different. I also don't have P/reverse P, but I am hostile to the idea as I suspect the DG coils are too close to really have distinct tone differences. YMMV.

4. Two single coils (not the J type).

5. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Whenever I can get away with it, I love the simplicity of a V/T knob setup. More knobs and switches become an unwelcome distraction to me.
    For slapping and/or low B, a neck pickup becomes necessary IME so my runner-up vote would be P/J. Both of my 5-strings happen to be P/J. Seems to be a bit more versatile than J/J, though I do sometimes miss that extra juicy, scooped vibe of the latter. (Perhaps that's why I make it a point to keep a good J-bass in the stable.)

6. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    j neck, hb bridge

7. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I don't have experience with P/P, only P/reverse P.
    I moded a cheap P few months ago and while researching on TB, people said that bridge P is to close to the bridge and too trebly to use alone. That's the main reason for reverse P, and I pushed it away from bridge, closer to main P.
    I put a 4-way switch: every pickup alone + series + paralel.
    I am extremely happy with results, every sound combo is different and gets its playtime.

8. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    I clicked the single humbucker option, because it most accurately captures what I like - one pickup, no hum. A P is actually a special case of that setup, and is one of my favorites, but other designs work well too.

That said, I don't quite like large dual in-line humbuckers like MM or similar.

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Double hum, as long as each one has series/parallel/coil split. Makes one bass very versatile.

Thumb n Fingers and Torrente Cro like this.
  10. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Double humbuckers for sure. I keep coming back to them. T-40s, stingray HH, Gibson EB (the 2014 one, not that new abomination), double bucks rule my stable

11. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Individual, position and height adjustable, pickups per string.

12. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Passive P/J with VVT and a pickup selector switch so I can remove either from the circuit or use both.

tlc1976 and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  13. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    PJ, though I'm a bit PP-curious. Also both reverse P types pique my interest (can't remember the precise name of the second type, with EA coil in the regular place and second coil moved up)

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    P/JJ. After owning and loving a Fender Roscoe Beck Signature 5 I decided to incorporate the bridge section of the electronics into my custom Hammersmith bass. It turned out fantastic. This bass nails a P bass (only slightly more beefy with the Nordy in that spot). And the split JJ Seymour Duncan NYC5 with series/single/parallel switch gives me a ton more options. Such a great combination. The plastic film it still on the guard in this pic. The controls are (passive) Volum and tone, three way selector for neck/both/bridge and three way selector for series/single/parallel. Love it. (I realize this is a pickups thread, but the neck on this thing feels like an old baseball glove....one of my favorites I have ever put my left hand on.)
    20170628_085307.

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Big Single / Big Single

Thumb n Fingers and alesreaper9 like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't have one. Most of my basses have the PJ config, but really, I like any good sounding basses and don't really stand on formality.

David Jayne and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I voted JJ, but strongly prefer good noiseless J pickups. I've had Lindy Fralin's Split-Jazz for 12 years in a Fender, and Lace Man 'O Wars for two years in a G&L JB. Both sets are awesome.

While I love P-basses, next up would be double humbuckers. Mine is a G&L M-2500, which is fantastic, but ideally I'd want series/parallel/single switching, as on an L-2500 with K-switching.

Torrente Cro and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  18. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    I'm surprised at the P/J love. They've always been sort of my favorite, but neither of my two main basses these days are P/Js...go figure?

@two fingers that P/JJ configuration is really intriguing to me. I'm going to have to dig around for some sound clips with that set up.

Thanks for all of the input. Really digging finding out what the peeps are into.

19. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Is that... is that a real thing?

20. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone pulled it off as a prototype.