Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL Off Season

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 7, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Who says the NFL season is over??? Not me! :)

In just a couple short weeks, some big free agents will hit the market. Favre looks like he is retiring, Bettis is retiring, TO is in limbo. What is everyone thinking about player movements this off season? What's the word on Edge in Indy?

I think Alexander is going to stay in Seattle.

It looks like the Steelers may lose a couple key players from this years team. Randle El, and one or two guys from the secondary. That is going to be a bummer.

-Mike

2. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    When do they start their season again?

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    only for the steelers fans

;)

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    TO is going to the Broncos, and if the Texans take Reggie Bush, Domanick Davis is going to the Vikings.

5. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    TO going Broncos crud! When does the new season start?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Point taken.

Here is the thing though. Some of those guys are as good as they are because the Steeler defensive schemes protect them in ways, and allow them to maximize their talents. As an example, alot of the Steelers defensive formations protect the CB's in that they don't allow them to be isolated on a WR.

I'm not saying they aren't good, it's just that Pittsburgh has a history of maximizing potential in average to good players. I just fear that these guys may make a run for the money, only to fall on their faces.

-Mike

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I doubt Edge will come back to Indy next year. It would be nice, but he is an expensive asset. Vanderjagt's has hit his salary cap and his contract is up as well. As far as I care he can go back to the CFL and stop running his mouth.

Sebastian Janokowski's contract is up with the Raiders. I hope Indy lets go of Vanderjagt and grabs him instead. He used to punt/kick for FSU so you know he is money, despite a few bar scuffles tarnishing his record. Plus a kicker as good as he is, coupled with his size is worth paying good money for.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If Edge leaves, what do the Colts do at RB? Stay internal with Rhodes, or do they look at another free agent?

The Colt's can't let that kicker go. Him and Peyton are buddies. :D :D

-Mike

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Favre will be back for one more year...at least. Last season was an anomoly...the injuries were devastating to the Pack. NO team would have done well losing that many key starters.

Favre had to play sandlot ball with different guys every week. He'll get a lot of key guys back. They won't make a run at the SB, but they'll be way more competitive than last season.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Man, I so hope you are right. The Packers are coming to Seattle in '06. I would love to see Favre in person. After Hasselback, he is my wifes favorite player.

-Mike

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I was rooting for Seattle in the SB...mostly because Hassleback was Favre's backup and it's so cool to see him doing well with "his" team. That, and Holmgren brought the Lombardi trophy back "home".

I got to sit right behind the Packers bench at the fifty yard line during a playoff game against Tampa Bay. Warren Sapp really clobbered Favre, right in front of us. Favre got right up and got in Sapp's face and grabbed his facemask...with the two of them going at it right in front of Holmgren.

Say what you will about Favre...but on the very next play he threw a touchdown pass. For some reason, when he gets nailed, he takes it personal and takes his game to a whole new level. Like the Giants game last year when he got the concussion and came out one play, only to come back (still woozy) and throwing a touchdown pass when he didn't even know where he was and didn't even remember doing it.

Some people may say all kinds of bad things about him...but damned if he isn't one of the most entertaining athletes to watch play. If this was his last year...I'm going to miss seeing him play. He made it fun to watch football again.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Those that rip on Favre hardest, are usually the ones he has torched the most, i.e., Bears fans.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, I rip him hard because I have had personal direct interaction with him being a complete nimrod of a human being.

;)

(However, he has been a great athlete...if not a great PERSON)

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Unfortunately, pretty much the norm for pampered pro athletes.
    Big Ben is from one town over from me, and I have already heard horror stories about what a jagoff he is when back home...demanding clubs be cleared for he and his friends, etc.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Rhodes would definitely have to step up to fill Edge's shoes, but who knows. Edge also got 350+ plus carrys vs. Rhodes 40 odd carrys. I trust that Dungy will be able to put some new talent on the field for the Colts next year.

If I were Dungy, I'd try to keep Edge, but if he is jetset about leaving then I would try and snatch Deangelo Williams in the draft.

I'll wait until after the rosters/schedules are decided and then I'll post my preseason picks.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, I've had interaction with a few well-known athletes, and found MOST were decent guys. A short list of guys that were cool:

Shaq (twice, once when he was at LSU, one time in Orlando)
    Brian Shaw (work on stuff at his house, he was very polite and thoughtful, it was hot out [Orlando, summer], he actually brought me a glass of ice water, unsolicited)
    Morten Anderson (I was a bartender at a club north of New Orleans for a while, he used to come in pretty regularly, always had a kind word and took the time to sit and talk to me for a few minutes, even though he was there with a date usually....the date being Nancy Wilson...as in Ann Wilson's sister)

Just because you're famous and rich does not mean you necessairly need to be a major TOOL as well.

;)

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, me too. I have worked in personal security in the past. They are usually pretty nice to me. :D

-Mike

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Ooohh..does Cameron Crowe know Nancy was cheating? Man..I had a HUGE Nancy Wilson fetish in High School!