Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL week 5

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 3, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Depends on which Saints show up.

If the nearly mistake-free Saints from yesterday (three penalties, no turnovers) show, they'll beat the Pack. :D

If the penalty- and turnover-prone Saints from Weeks 2 & 3 reappear, you'll win by three touchdowns. :scowl:

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Egg-zach-ah-ree....

:smug:

If the guys that were in the Alamodome yesterday show up in Green Bay next week....and ESPECIALLY if Joe Horn is back on the field...no contest.

I'm bettin' on 'em bein' there: Saints > Pack

(If the "good Saints" show, by a sizeable margin, say 10-12 points :D)

...I'm still waitin' to see the Bucs play an actual NFL team, they ALMOST lost to the Lions yesterday (and one of those catches that was ruled incomplete at the end, the one where the reciever was sliding on his knees??? :eek: ...man, that was a CATCH folks! :meh: ), they play that way against the Saints, Falcons, or Panthers, and they'll get so spanked they won't sit for the rest of the season!

4. Whatever the outcome, it'll probably be a shootout - both teams are textbook examples of bad defense. Did I say "bad?" Sorry, I meant atrocious.

I'll pick the Packers because I like them more, but if the Saints win, I won't be falling off of my chair.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Actually, the Packers defense has played pretty well this year.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I heard that Favre was nuzzlin up with his buddy Satan, tryin to work out a new contract.
    [​IMG]
    If the deal works, the Packers could have a chance in this division. But, if ol Favre has to pay up to his master, then the Pack will be back to the depths of the Norris where they belong. The Packer Backers will be wishing the old Bucs were allowed back in the division so they'd have some company in the cellar.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I do appreciate the Bears keeping the cellar warm for us SINCE THE LATE 80s! :)

8. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Yes, like in 1988 when we won our FIFTH consecutive division title and went to the NFC championship game, and 1990 when we regained it.

Most of our woes began in the early 90, and it can be traced to Mike McCaskey and Dave Wannstedt.

9. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Isn't the whole damn division in the depths of the Norris where they ALL belong?? Can you believe the Queens yesterday?

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Falcons > patriots

11. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Isn't the whole damn division in the depths of the Norris where they ALL belong?? Can you believe the Queens yesterday?

12. I was just referring to personnel - although I truthfully have not seen the Packers in action this year yet other than their game against the Browns, in which Trent Dilfer picked them apart. That may not be a fair body of evidence to draw my opinion from, but if they start playing anything like last year, things won't be pretty.

13. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    You're crazy, man.

No way that was a catch: the last photo i've seen available of pollard shows him still lacking control of the ball (cradled awkwardly against his chest, lopsided, w/ one hand, out of bounds.) What's sad is harrington's next two throws....

Griese stunk it up, but the rest of the o performed adequately, and most importantly the defense stifled the lions all day. They say greaseball had a concussion, but i don't know if that's true; maybe he was drunk.

The d's playing wonderfully, like the bucs of old, and can stuff the run more reliably than i can ever remember. They're creating turnovers, befuddling qb's, stuffing runners at the line, and are....#1.

Frankly, the only team in our division that's really had our number since the switch has been the 'aints, and they're not exactly scary right now. That said, i think most people are willing to give them something of a pass this year, considering....but Brooks just isn't the qb to get 'em over the hump. I don't think he has never looked as good as he did the year he stepped in as starter. I don't think deuce will be racking up the yards against this d.

The falcons are playing well, but i remember a 27-0 shellacking delivered unto them last year. Not terribly worried; i think their defense is far scarier than the o, they had their way with our o-line last year. I think things are better for us in that dept., by far, this year.

And the panthers don't seem like a contender just yet. They have to try throwing to someone other than steve smith; maybe they're afraid he'll sucker-punch someone in the locker room if he doesn't get his 20 catches a game? Let's see what happens tonight.

Even if the bucs go .500 against their own division, i can easily see them winning the next three against an aging jets team, the dolphins, and the niners. That's 10 wins.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Let's not go too far out there. Remember that the Lions have been competitive in the ranks of basement dwellers.

But alas, they'll probably lose that competition too.

15. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Bears did have an aberrant playoff season a few years back.

I haven't caught a bears game on the tube yet, how's c. benson look?

16. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    He looks OK. I think he really hurt his chances for this season by missing all of training camp and the preseason.

He looks a little lost on blocking schemes, and isn't quite used to the speed of the NFL.

How much worse can he do than Curtis Enis or Rashaan Salaam?

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's official. My beloved Packers suck. Now I know how Bears fans have felt for the last 15 years.

18. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Dude.... that was a catch.....

And to make matters worse, it was RULED a catch on the field..... which means, to overturn the call, they had to have INDISPUTABLE visual evidence that the call on the field was wrong...... :( ..... guess they forgot that part....

The Bucs are making people take notice.... but they sure caught a break on Sunday....

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Just keep drinkin' that Chuckie Kool-Aid, ok? :D

...if you really believe that 1) the Yucks are as good as their record, and 2) the Saints are really as bad as their record, well...you are just going to deserve the 7-9 season that will be a gift to the Bucs this year. Gift as in, you have been handed what has to be the SOFTEST opening schedule in the NFL. Don't count on that Dolphins win either, Saban has them playing for real.

Your "reliable" running game got STUFFED by the Lions this weekend. Let me repeat that, as it is worth repeating: Your "reliable" running game got STUFFED by the Lions, THE LIONS! :eek: , this weekend. What's gonna happen to Caddy when they face an actual NFL defense?

The Saints will continue to OWN the Yucks yet again, and I don't see the Yucks splitting with either of the other NFC Southies, so don't count on a .500 record in their division. I'd say there is a strong chance that you'll see a Yucks team that is WINLESS in their own division.

Oh, and PLEASE keep thinking that the Saints deserve a "pass" because of Katrina and the disarray it caused. Please. Because that means you're overlooking a very talented football team that WILL play well down the stretch.

Back to the Dolphins, I am really looking forward to seeing Ricky "Toke" Williams shred that run defense you're so proud of! :D

Enjoy the soft-pitch start, which will probably end after this coming weekend against the hapless J E T S Jets Jets Jets.....because after that, well...

;)

20. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Wow. Favre almost pulled of the miracle comeback win. Just not enough playmakers on the team. Sure made it fun to watch in the 4th quarter anyway.

Pack has lost by a total of 6 points in last 3 games. Close, just not close enough. Way too many mistakes which continue to kill them.

Word on Terrance Murphy was that he's moving all extremeties and will probably spend another night in the hospital before heading back to GB, but he has some spinal problem...obviously. Wonder if the guy who took him out will get fined/suspended. It didn't look intentional, but it sure was a nasty helmut-to-helmut.

There's one, and I mean one silver lining. Pack at 0-4 is still only 1 1/2 games out of 1st in the division. Unbelievable.