1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NHL Playoffs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Apr 12, 2006.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Go Sharks!!!

[​IMG]

Hell yeah!!! we're in the playoffs!

I know no one cares but HELLS YEAH!!! GO SHARKS!

PS if anyone seen the game, worse reffed game ever, and we won! woohoooo

Now on to topic... playoff starting very soon... YAY!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yes! I root for the Sharks when the Pens suck it up...

3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I might be inclined to root for the Sharks. I mean, given that the Hawks are the worst team in the league. Sure why not.

GO SHARKS! :D

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    The Sharks are sure looking scarey (where'd Cheechoo come from, anyway?) but I've got to go with my Sens. They're just starting to get their lineup back together, and when they start really cranking it up with their full lineup I don't think there's a single team in the league that can skate with them.

On the other hand, they usually only really get wheeling for a period or two each game, so there's still plenty of room for error. Just about every team making it into the playoffs (in the east, at least) is going to be dangerous. Buffalo is amazingly quick, Montreal can really come out to play when they want, and Tampa has plenty of fire power. If anyone's going to make it to the second round (the west included) they're gonna have to work pretty damn hard.

-Nate

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Devils are going to end up playing either Rangers or Buffalo

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Are the Toronto Maple Loafs still in the NHL?

7. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Cheechoo and thornton... the most dangerous offensive pairing I have ever laid my eyes on.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    For devil's I’d hope buffalo, you guys been owning them this season (well somewhat), phili and rangers you guys been pretty even. Either one of those 3 teams would be a good series to watch.

It’s actually interesting; apparently the guy wanted to play for sharks when he was a kid and got his chance. He was drafted what? 2nd round somewhere in the 20s. This year when he was signing contract he just came out and said “I don’t care what contract I get as long as I can play for this team”. I like those types of players.

For sharks, I don't know how far they will make it, hope it will be the cup but I am guessing 2nd round. They have a team that can win it in the feature but for this year I think chances are slim. As good as Toskala is playing Nabokov is not 100% and I don’t know if you can win it all with just one goalie especially since he has been starting in every game for past what, 15?

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Sad huh, they got all these all star players last season and forgot they needed some young ones too. :D They still have a chance but very slim. In the east, I kind of want Montréal to win it.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I want football season to come back.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    "Sir, I was wondering, did you catch the professional football contest on television last night? Oh, it was a most amazing game. The Giants of New York took on the Packers of Green Bay. The Giants triumphed by kicking a pigskin ball through a big "H". A most ripping victory"

"Son... I'm just going to tell you this one time. If you want to keep working here, stay off the drugs."

Can't wait for a bunch of fatties to run into each other, oh the fun!

12. Since the Jets high-tailed it south, (has it been 10 years already?), I've been a "general" hockey fan. I enjoyed watching a good game, and I'd root for whomever, with SOME exceptions. Any team from the old Smythe Div. (sorry the Sharks are one of them), and I was born to hate the Leafs and admire the Habs. So the Habs have been my adopted team, though I've been slowly lifting the "Smythe" ban over the years. Our AHL team is the farm team for Vancouver, so it's tough not to follow them. Calgary was also difficult to not root for "last" playoffs. The Oilers, however, will be the last. They beat on our Jets with reckless abandon, and those memories are still pretty clear.

Anyway, I'm cheering for any Canadian team except for the Oilers. How's that? :)

And Serg, I've got to root against your Sharks tonight. Vancouver's got to beat them to stay alive, and then it's up to Edmonton losing to Anaheim. I've got a soft spot for the Ducks, too. Selanne and Carlyle, a couple of proud Winnipeg alumni. :D

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Dude, we were in smythe division for what? 1 year? we werent even San Jose yet:) we were daily city! :D

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    From, uh, your province!! ;) Gotta love a town name like Moose Factory. That's even better than Medicine Hat. And it one-ups Moose Jaw.

15. OK Serg, you got me......

The Jets never really had a rivalry with the Sharks, so my Smythe ban will be lifted for them as well. ;) But Edmonton and Detroit (post-Smythe rival) will remain for eternity!

And for Bob Lee:
    http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/canada/town.asp

Here's a few notables:
    Poo Poo Creek, BC
    Community Punch Bowl, AB
    Climax, SK
    (The Manitoba ones all seem normal to me.....:meh:)
    Welcome, ON
    Yarm, PQ
    Poodiac, NB
    Mushaboom, NS
    Ass Hill, NL
    Toronto, PEI :)eyebrow:)
    Flat Top, YK
    Tuktoyaktuk, NWT (my personal fave, it's just fun to say.)
    Old Squaw Island, NU

16. Doesn't everyone?

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You could also bring up the fact that in that year we set so many records your jets never dreamed of setting:)

The MOST loses

71 of them!

24 points man, whole 24

For what it's worth, i thought it was a dumb thing to do; jets should have stay in Winnipeg... even though there are about 20 people living in Winnipeg. 20 times $50 a ticket is still good amount of money.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I used to sometimes bump into a guy who played juniors in Flin Flon. That's probably almost as remote as Moose Factory.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I only mean in the east, then Sharks will have a easier time getting the cup in the finals:)

In Cal we have town called "Panocho" and small creek called "Butt Berry" and i think there is a town near that creek called "Butt Berry". Of course we have a town called "Weed" too. :D

20. Bobby Clarke is from Flin Flon. :D (Too bad there isn't a smiley missing teeth ;))

Serg: Actually the sting is sort of wasting away. I have my little shrine to the Jets and all, but the old Arena just came down a few weeks ago, and ticket prices are way too high in the NHL. We couldn't afford it as a city. The AHL is perfect, IMO, for the size and average income of our populous. I have a half season of Manitoba Moose home games, and it cost me $400. That's 22 games, including the All-Star game held here. That's a solid deal. We also get first crack at playoff tix. Anyway, I'm off to a Moose game right now!

Oh, and regarding the Sharks dismal 71 loss season? I actually DID know that, but wasn't planning on bringing it up. :D