1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No GAS. Whats next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weedmanricker, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    After an 8 year hiatus from buying basses i finally got the next one on my list. I currently have 4 basses and cant figure out what would be next.

I wont buy anything for at least a year but id love to hear some suggestions of what you guys think would be a cool next bass cause for the first time in years i have no clue.

My fender is my current player. The rics 10 years old and is semi retired. Its still in great shape and i want to keep it that way. The tbird is in a similar boat to the ric. Played at home but not out for the moment.

No gigs from the foreseeable future but lots of jams with friends.

Probably want to keep it under a 1000cdn.
    Used it perfectly acceptable.

1 wierd rule i have about basses is no "cheap" lines... meaning no squires or epiphones unless there unique to that brand without a higher priced duplicate in the main fender or gibson line. No disrespect to those instruments it just bugs me when a brand feels the need to change the logo on the headstock cause it doesnt fit there image lol. 20170812_123717.

2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I see no Music Man and above all no maple fretboards.

3. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Everyone should have at least 1 p-bass.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
  5. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Indeed, that comes first, how could I forget! :smug:

6. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    Music Man is probably outta my price range as much as a stringray would be awesome.

I agree on the maple board but it would have been a fender usa at twice the price of my MIM :(

I keep my eye open for a good pbass. I have only played 1 i liked alot and its parked ar my buddies jam spot. Its on the list for looking at but probably not this round of buying.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    True story. No P-Bass = Emptiness in your soul :smug:

dmt, filwitheneff, kobass and 12 others like this.
  8. erigod23

erigod23

Mar 19, 2007
    Fredericton, NB
    P-bass.

9. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    What is this beast? Something with big ass humbuckers kinda appeals to me

Kubicki Fan, LYNCHMAN and dukeorock like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    G&L L2000. I've been reading about it here for the past few years. Sounded to good to be true but everything I heard about it was right.

When Leo Fender launched the G&L L-2000 bass in 1980, it was clear he was ready to make history all over again. Never before had such a wide range of tones come from a single bass, and throughout its evolution the iconic L-2000 has continued to win the hearts of bassists of every style and musical taste.

The foundation of the L-2000 is a pair of G&L Magnetic Field Design™ humbuckers backed by the flexible Tri-Tone™ control system, providing the sort of versatility that’ll let you find your tone no matter what kind of bass line you’re laying down. The Tri-Tone system features a trio of mini toggles for pickup selection, series/parallel signal routing and active/passive operation, as well as a trio of knobs for volume, treble and bass. With all that under the hood, Leo gave the L-2000 the kind of chops that’ll fit in any situation, from classic R&B to power-packed rock to poppin’ funk. What’s more, the L-2000 features an innovative Leo Fender-designed Saddle-Lock™ bridge to transfer string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. On the other end is a comfortable, C-shaped neck checking in with a comfortable 9 1/2" radius and 21 Jescar 57110 medium-jumbo nickel-silver frets ready to deliver silky playability.

Made in Leo Fender’s historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the L-2000 is available with a wide range of custom options including body and neck woods, body and neck finishes, and neck profiles.
    3b2fdab26c0611f96c879290375be767--graphite-guitars.
    2d1645c15d6e9871d2487f00cf93bd55-1.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Relsom, Kubicki Fan, wmmj and 11 others like this.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Rickenbacker Enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    It sounds like you have all the basses you want or need, so it's time to jump down a new rabbit hole.
    Look into single malt scotch, wristwatches & stamps.
    Just like collecting basses, you can get into these for very little money, but it can quickly spiral out of control if you're not mindful. :greedy:

12. jaybones

jaybones

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    To follow up on what superdick said, how about something along the lines of motorsport collectables?

Either that or start following a series and attend those races when they're nearby.

Years ago when I could cross the border into Canada with only a driver's license and birth certificate I saw an American Le Mans Series race at Mosport. Beautiful track, we camped right up against the fence at the end of the back straight (good passing area in the brake zone before the corner).

Walked around the track with camp chairs and spent some time on the hill over looking the slowest corner (best passing area).

weedmanricker likes this.
  13. ThumpsAlot

ThumpsAlot Cant hold no grove if you aint got no pocket

Nov 18, 2007
    Boynton Beach Florida
    Fretless

14. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I don't believe there are Gibson versions of the Cassady, Embassy and Wilycat basses. So you could buy one of them without breaking your rule.

15. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    My brother has a cassidy. Its a really nice bass. Its his number 1!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The Rick is "semi-retired" - curious why, as you say it's still in good shape. To me, basses are tools; I don't own basses that I don't gig. Are you tring to get a collection for the sake of having them? Knowing your motivation might help us help you.

18. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    No GAS you say? Live your life happy then!

19. weedmanricker

weedmanricker

Sep 23, 2007
    ON, CANADA
    The ric needs a bit of work in its future. The inputs a little flakey and 1 pot might need replacing. The bridge saddles have seen better days as well. Id still take it out to a gig if i had any but thats not in the cards these days. I still play it once a week or so.

Just want new basses cause i like variety. Sometimes i spend 20 mins with each bass during a practise session just to dial there individual tones jam and bit and onto the next. Keeps me interested i guess lol.

20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    You would think. But once the monkey is off your back, comes ... The Emptiness.

BurnOut, klejst, LYNCHMAN and 5 others like this.