1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No Love For Yamaha Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by non, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've not managed to find a better 5 string then my BB1025X. Except for possibly a bit of flirting with a younger model from the new Yamaha BB range I have committed to settle down and grow old with it!

Nunovsky and Badwater like this.
  2. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    One of the very best basses that I have owned over the years was a Yamaha TRB-4P. I have owned several other Yamaha basses and they have all been outstanding instruments.
    I have also owned Yamaha guitars, saxophones, keyboards, motorcycles and yes, even a Yamaha outboard motor!
    Great company. IMHO everything they do is good.

Ehbass and Badwater like this.

3. I have a BB424X, and that fantastic split coil is what keeps me coming back. I never even bother touching that 3 way switch, I just keep the split coil solo all the time. I'm curious how you would compare the sound of the solo split coil on the 1025 vs the 425? It seems as though all the Youtube comparison videos always have both pickups on, which IMO isn't nearly the best sound on the 425. The 1025 is definitely a step up with both pickups on for sure, I'd just be afraid to lose some of that P bass grit if I did the upgrade.

But to be more on topic with this thread: IMO 500 dollars spent on a Yamaha is worth about 900 spent on a MIM Fender, in terms of build quality.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. While my Ibanez Ashula was being built I needed something to cover the time, i went to the local Panama City shop to get a 5 string, no more than @$500. I tried the Marcus Miller Sire 5, and the Yamaha. both similar in price. I suppose if i was into the slap style, I might have taken the Sire, but I'm not, so I took home the Yamaha, and haven't regretted it.
    fullsizeoutput_3ef.
    Although no that the Ibanez has arrived, the Yamaha has become a nick knack.

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I played an old BB 450 on a ton of gigs, not the most expensive bass they made but it played and sounded damn good, and I've own a bunch of Yamahas over the years but that one was one of my favorites, I eventually gave it to my nephew who plays it now and then so its still in the family

Badwater likes this.
  6. I love Yamaha basses. In fact. It’s probably an unhealthy love. Right now I’m deciding between a BB734A and a TRBX604.
    Probably order one this weekend.

Badwater likes this.
  7. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I am now primarily a Yamaha player (although I’m not a true pro, but have played plenty of higher-end gigs as a hired gun). The BB425 I got on closeout for cheap became my main player, and I have sold most of my other basses. I have gotten more compliments on the sound than any bass I’ve owned (various USA Fenders, Hamers, Pedulla, etc). It did take me some time to warm up to how it looks.

Badwater likes this.
  8. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    The split coil (P) on the BB425 is a Ford Mustang; it's a beast. The BB1025's P pups I'd say are more Cadillac XTS :)

Nunovsky and DuluthDank like this.
  9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    This clip makes me want a 2024X:

10. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Yup the tone on the 2024X is just great (have a listen particularly 2.45 to 3.05):

...and actually you can get pretty much the same tone on the BB 1025 / 1025X (and for a lot less $$$).

11. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Yamaha basses are awesome. A BB425X was my first experience, and it was good. I considered trading all my stuff away for one, few years back.

12. I've been rocking a heavily modified BBN4 that I bought used about 20 years old. The neck is as thin as a J-bass (I actually call it "my fake Jazz") and sounds like a weird blend of Musica Man, Ricky and Jazz! Alder body, Rosewood fingerboard. Two J PUPs (Dimarzios) and an Original Leo Quan bridge (even older than this bass).

Never had to have the thing refretted (that's using ROTOSOUNDS!). Plays like a dream.

Actually plays different (better?) than my new DIY 70's P-bass replica- both instruments serve different purposes/vibes. I'm still learning to live with both.

Badwater likes this.
  13. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    That’s a nice looking bass. Yamaha doesn’t get it wrong all the time. But here are a few examples of things that prevent me from purchasing Yamaha.

These of course are my opinion. YMMV.

The metal guard surrounding these pickups and knobs. Curved pickguard unappealing as well. Overall looks bloated:
    1383FCA1-65E6-4EA0-B1CE-4D0294E9AA3C.

This pickguard:
    6C9A6852-D927-4543-8812-3DD9CCB21536.

The routing for these pickups. Especially the J pickup:
    42851D51-0504-49EE-AC10-03B963DFB4A9.

14. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I bought a new RBX374 years ago. I gave the bass enough time to convince me, but I gave up.
    I am not judging Yamaha because of my experience. I realize now it was an 'entry-level' bass price-wise.
    The preamp used cheap opamps and the hardware started to pit after a few years.
    Kind of sours me a little.
    For the first time in my career (late 60's) I'm considering a 5-string. I will examine the options available
    in the Yamaha line for sure and will study them wisely.
    Yamaha never got the kudos they deserved. I believe that people who endorse Yamaha would choose to play them
    anyhow, especially since they're familiar with them.

edit: The neck on this bass was too thin for me. I forgot to mention that.

15. I see where you're coming from...

To be honest, the BB-series PJs have never appealed to me nearly as much as the TRBX505/605 due to their appearance.

BassAndReeds likes this.
  16. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    For some reason, this bass reminds me of a cowboy with a scarf around his neck:

Yamaha bass.

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  17. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    True. But, all Fenders sell easily in comparison. It took me less than five days to move a Squier Jazz I acquired in trade. Took me two days to sell an Ash Tele P type bass I built, probably because it had a Fender neck (he actually said he was mostly interested in the neck).

Now, I had a Yamaha years ago that I ended up just giving to a buddy of mine. I didn’t need it, he did, I also didn’t really need the money. I just couldn’t sell it. It’s a shame, too. They are beautiful basses. They sound beautiful as well. They are just hard to resell, or you take a hefty hit on the sale. Shame, but that’s the way people swing right now.

Anyway, I fully support Yamaha. I say if you haven’t tried one of their basses, try one. The value is incredible. Hopefully, one day, people will see how awesome these basses actually are.

18. This day people will also realise that G&L basses are awesome, that Sandberg basses are awesome that MM other than Stingrays are awesome, that [insert your favorite brand name here] basses are awesome. And yes that even Fender non P non J are awesome. In the meantime, some (many ?) will buy Fender P/J, cos' "you know it's a Fender" (whatever that means nowadays after reading through this : Interview: Fender Visionary Dan Smith on How to Turn Around a Faltering Guitar Brand | Bacon's Archive). Some others will buy Fender because the resale price is good because of the former people.

Misfit Wookiee and Member8675309 like this.
  19. Attached Files:

Nunovsky and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    BBG5S is one fine instrument...
    2014_1227tourSouth0071.JPG

Nunovsky likes this.