1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No Love For Yamaha Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by non, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I just hope Yamaha can bring their H4050 strings back to market. Excellent strings.

2. Make sure you try before you buy if you go for one though. Depends what kind of tone floats your boat of course but IMHO the BB PJs all sound amazing, as does the cheaper TRBX305... the TRBX505 sure does look nice and I too wanted one for its looks, but after comparing them all it sounded the worst of the bunch to my ears!

3. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

All I see is the girl. ha. :roflmao: Girl cute, Bass looks ... eh.

But the next music stores I go to in Europe or the States, I'm going to film or record the Yamaha basses they have there and we will see. I know they are good, but yeah, I guess resale value or something just pushes so many people away or something.?

4. All this talk about "resale value"... It's a non-issue for me as I fully intend to keep mine for life. ;)

5. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Joy Division / New Order bassist

Probably my favorite cut of his is the 'live' promo video of New Order's "The Perfect Kiss".

6. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Some basses hold their values in some markets more than others, for sure. The point equally applies e.g. to Warwick, Spector or Ibanez (all great basses) just as much as it does to Yamaha. But resale value can work both ways though, right? In particular it means that if you're prepared to do a bit of homework you can often pick up a great bass second hand for a very decent price.

I was fortunate in managing to get both my BB425 and BB1025 new but 'end of line' from retailers, at 'sale' prices. I subsequently traded my BB425 for a value = pretty much what I paid for it. And no way would I have got my BBNE2 new, but I've managed to get one in pretty mint condition second hand for a really good price. It's still certainly not cheap, in fact it's the most I've ever spent on a bass, new or second hand but, boy, what a bass!

So if you can get a second hand Yamaha (or Ibanez etc) bass in great condition a) you're going to get a lot of bass for the money and b) have something that should hold its value.

And there are some Yammys that I wish would fall in value and come up for sale e.g. a mint condition BB1200S but which seem to be as rare as hen's teeth!

michael_t likes this.
  7. Speaking of looks, the old Super Bass series is one of my favourite Yamaha shapes. I am yet to try one in the wild though.
    156680-eac5515c39954da063f7b369e5fbfda2.

8. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    I used to own a Yamaha RBX 765.
    The bass had a great tone once I found a set of strings that complimented the instrument’s resonance.
    I eventually sold it because I never got into playing 5-string basses.

In my opinion, Yamaha makes good instruments.
    Billy Sheehan and Nathan East seem to like them.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  9. Just curious...
    What strings did you end up with that worked best for that bass?

10. Try a bb5000

11. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    I'd certainly love to! All I need is for someone to point me in the direction of a BB5000 that's in good condition and available for sale...in the meantime, like dannybuoy, I guess I'll just have to make do with growing old with my BB1025 :)

12. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    A set of La Bella 760RL-B.

13. bedrockhead

bedrockhead

Jan 15, 2010
    Arkansas
    2017-09-18 13.14.35.

14. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    I really like the Mustang SVT!

15. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Absolute love for the late '70's early '80's Yamaha BB series basses.

16. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    My first 5 string was a BB5000 in 1985. That bass had great tones but the B string was a little mushy. I later realized that maybe a different gauge string might have been the fix. I regret selling it. But, today I have a BBP35, the best PJ bass I have ever owned.

Matt R likes this.
  17. umpdv5000

umpdv5000

Jul 8, 2008
    I have a Yamaha SB-35 bass. There are very few of these and I'll bet most players have neither heard of or seen one. They are the bass made to fit with their SG guitar range and was only made between 1972-75. It's a 31.5" scale, Katsura body, Maple neck with a Rosewood board. If you google it for an image and you see one in a case, it'll be mine. I can't part with it, it's just too good to play.

18. 69 Lefty P Bass

69 Lefty P Bass

Jun 6, 2010
    I have been playing Yamaha basses exclusively for over 15 of my over 50 years of playing bass professionally. I have 3 left handed BBN5L basses and 3 TrbII active. I have not found any bass that has convinced me to switch. If you have the opportunity try one out on a gag.

19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha, Fender, Rickenbacker, BSX. I'm Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I own 4 Yamaha basses at the moment (MIJ BB5000, MIT BB5000, BBP35 & BB1200) - they've been a favorite brand of mine for years.

No love? How about these guys, who used them either extensively in the past or currently:
    Paul McCartney - Peter Hook - Abe Laboriel - Nathan East - Jimmy Bain - Suzy Quatro - Michael Anthony - Billy Sheehan - John Patitucci - David Hungate - Verdine White - Tony Kanal - Leland Sklar - James LoMenzo - Tetsuo Sakurai

Al Krow and michael_t like this.
  20. jbeckh2

jbeckh2

Mar 7, 2018
    Moreauville, LA
    For some reason, Yamaha just doesn't get respect for any type of guitar. No one says they are bad, but they don't get fan hype either.

The thing that really gets me with this is that when it comes to brass instruments, Yamaha is a go to brand for pros, especially if they want something custom shop. Yamaha was the first company to make mouthpieces completely machine based, which was something special because every Yamaha mouthpiece in a particular size sounds exactly the same. The Bach mouthpieces back in the day had hits and misses because of the difference from one unit to the next, and they were considered on of the best.

Honestly, when I started playing bass, I just assumed that their horn shop must just be better than their guitar shop because very little hype was given to them.