1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No Love For Yamaha Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by non, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    That's a fascinating question. As a long-time fan of both Yamaha products and Line 6 products, I feel as though each have unique brand attributes. Over the years, I think companies like FMIC have successfully recognized the brand equities in their various acquisitions without completely alienating the original customer bases. And despite Gibson's recent financial woes, there are lots of die-hard Epiphone aficionados who couldn't really care where the brand ends up – as long as quality-control standards are upheld.

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Pro's don't use Yamaha Basses - that's news to me. :D

Yamaha basses have always been shotgunned throughout professional music for decades. From rock to jazz - Paul McCartney, Duff McKagan, Robby Takac, Tony Kanal, Michael Anthony, John Patitucci, George Hawkins Jr. (bassist for Kenny Loggins), Hugh Macdonald (Bon Jovi), Lee Sklar, Billy Sheehan, etc., etc.

Yamaha takes a more "build it, they will come" approach rather than aggressive marketing. I own 3 BB425x basses and my other basses are collecting dust as they wait to be sold. It's a brand that definitely requires some effort to "get into" because of lack of heavy promotion - especially the BB series but Yamaha basses are very well built, great sounding & playing instruments. :thumbsup:

big_98434. big_bb_duff. ab87613542f5bf2e870423bdf67eb4f2. 3a3794e9eae1577b252a9a7e62d1fb45. Van_Halen_7. big_hugh-mcdonald. maxresdefault.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    craig0316 likes this.
  3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
  4. I picked up a Yamaha Motion B III recently and am astounded by its playability, light weight, and big tone. It was made in '86, but hardly played since. A little odd looking, especially with the script on the body, but has become my go-to bass for the moment. Using D'Addario medium-scale Chrome flats on it.

5. GoChris

GoChris

Apr 19, 2012

6. GoChris

GoChris

Apr 19, 2012
    I bought a Yamaha BB300 (Taiwan) 15+ years ago, installed a BadAss bridge, active EMG's . That bass survived many gigs in the brutal conditions here in SE Asia, never failed me, survived several falls too. Just incredibly well made, I believe most of the components such as the machine heads are MIJ. I can't say enough about the neck and overall feel of the bass. Down the road I picked up a RBX600 (MIJ) which comes stock with all Japan components and YAMAHA-EMG pickups. It's somewhat lighter than the BB300 so it became my go-to bass. I think the RBX series are underrated, I rarely see discussion about them. Very well made, su 20180606_094947. per playable, I have nothing but kudos for them.

7. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I love mine. Looking for another.

8. I've just bought a TRBX304Wh and love it. My first bass so what do I know.....
    $0.02
    MTD.

9. VF9lNn6OpL6pn_yonPtWo8ZtIXOpDPdXxER-7mYxX4pmjjq4W5CCFcbsL6-3AiFa0hMvixwtPLlx1MpaMnE=w734-h388-no.

MAXTHEDOG likes this.
  10. Thanks Michael_t.
    Closely followed by a Squire P fretless and an Ashdown 210 combo.:)

MTD.

11. You can. They don't hold their value though, unless it's high end. Best to use as platforms for experiments or leave in the practice hall.

12. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I had a 424X and then I sold it to get a 1024X. What I can tell you is that you can see the upgrades in the 1024X constrution details: the head has a gloss finish, the neck is smoother and more refined, including the fretwork and markers in the scale board, the hardware shows better quality. But the main diference are the pickups. They're not better but different. The 424X has more punch and bite on the neck pickup, while the 1024X is more tamed and refined, smoother but clearer tone. Each have that great P-bass feel, but the 424X has a more agressive bite, great to play with a pick, while the 1024X has a more vintage feel and more definition in the notes.

Man, I never knew that Justin Meldal-Johnsen used to play a Yammy BB with NIN. One of my favorite bass players with one of my favourite basses. And such a tone! Love it!

My 2 cents on this subject. I had only one bass up until 2015 (for the frequency that I played it was enough...), then one day I saw a Yamaha BB424X hanged in a local store that belonged to a friend of mine that was the son of the owner back then. It imediatly grabbed my atention with that vintage look. I knew nothing about Yamaha BB basses back then, but I liked the visual so I asked to try it. When I grabbed the bass I felt quite solid, heavier than the bass I played but in a good way, like it had more wood to it. I tried it unplugged first, and I imediatly liked how it felt. The neck was really confortable and when I played it resonated through the body and the sustain was incredible. My friend was there and he told me that he hanged the bass there because he wanted to sell it since he wasn't playing with it for a while and he said that I could take it to try it and if I liked it we could settle a deal. So I took it to try at my gig that same night. I still hadn't tried it plugged on and I thought of using it on soundcheck just a bit to get the feel of it and then switch to my main bass for the gig. Man, when I turned on the volume I was blown away by the tone and bite it had. I loved it so much that I played the whole gig with it. After that I searched for more info about these basses and I couldn't believe that I was playing the lower level model of that series. I used it for most of the summer season and by the end of the year, a deal came up with a used BB1024X so I passed it to get this one.
    My BB1024X is one of my never-let-go basses. I just love the way it plays and sounds. It has a set of 2 years old chromes on it and it sounds better than ever. I wouldn't trade it for any other bass, not even an american Fender P-bass. It has THAT tone that I love and more. Not only the neck pickup sounds great, but also the bridge pu sounds amazing soloed for that finger-jacoish tone, and the 2 pickups together sound great, round and defined. A friend of mine that swears for his fender p and j-basses, once came to one of our gigs to play 2 songs with us and used my Yamaha BB and at the end he came to me and said that if I ever sold that bass I should go to him first that he would buy it without questioning the price. That's just how good these basses are.
    And now I have a Yamaha BB735A coming my way. I wanted to add a 5 strings PJ bass to my colection and I thought about one of the new BB's or a Sire P7 to fill that spot. Then a few months ago I had the oportunity to try a Sire and honestly I wasn't much impressed about it. So when a barely used BB735A was placed for sale by a friend of mine on a facebook group I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I should get it only on thursday, but I'll take it out to play that same night for sure.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    ranat and stingray69 like this.
  13. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Yamaha acoustic guitars are great.

14. Please report back. BB735A is what I'm GAS'ing very badly for right now.

Nunovsky likes this.
  15. Would that be the difference between ceramic and alnico?

16. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It's this exact bass.

17. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Ceramic has more punch and output. They're hotter pickups.
    Alnico is more smooth, less punchy with a more vintage vibe to it, but adds more clarity to the notes.

Matt R and michael_t like this.
  18. Thanks.

I'm more for a smooth tone with clarity so I can sit in the mix in a non-aggressive way, so sounds like I made the right choice when I chose the TRBX505 (alnico) over the TRBX305 (ceramic). This also means the BB735A (alnico) should work out fine for me as well. Oh the GAS pains...

Nunovsky likes this.
  19. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Something a bit particular about the BB line is that they look like Fender clones but they do not sound like Fenders. I guess, the fact that they have their own tone and feel, might make them a bit of an acquired taste kind of bass.

I love my BB714BS; it's a keeper.
    yamaha-bb714bs.

Nunovsky likes this.
  20. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Those were the first models that Billy Shennan developed with Yamaha, before going with the Atitude Series.