1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No Love For Yamaha Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by non, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ranat

ranat

Dec 22, 2010
    LA California
    I’ve had MTD 535 & 635 AG signature and some Fbasses, these Yamaha are on par with them, these Yamaha are still used by my bass heroes Abe Laboriel, John P, NE, Dane Alderson of Yellow Jacket! Love the Japanese Yamaha!

Attached Files:

michael_t likes this.
  2. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    right now my #1 and #2 basses are both yamahas....rbx774 and a trb1004....love them both!

3. Absolutely not true. Billy and Yamaha released the Attitude series in 1990. While Billy used a modified BB3000 before then, at the time that this was released he hadn't used that bass for years to my knowledge. However, I know people had been asking for a version of the BB done this way for a while. This was made to satisfy those people.

Nunovsky likes this.
  4. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Thanks for the correction. I honestly believed that he started using this model and then progressed to the Attitude. Thank you for clarifying that!

5. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Billy didn't developed the BB serie but if I remember (don't bet your paycheck on my memory) he was the man behind the neck pickup (the "woofer" as shown in the picture), and he had a BB model before the Attitude.
    But anyway I love my TRBX505 (too bad they have such limited finishes available or I would have 2-3 more) and my Attitude Custom.

6. He was, most definitely the inspiration behind this bass. He's had a neck pickup on his basses since I became aware of him (1985), back when he used his "wife" (the P bass he's had for ages). What I'm saying is that this wasn't a BS design - that was the Attitude series. This is Yamaha's cleaned up version of the BB3000 he used (no bridge pickup rout that he left open, using a pickup that they made vs using Dimarzio Will Series pickups, etc.). I'm glad they made it, mind you lol. Much better sounding than the one I did back in 91 lol. I just wish they'd do a less expensive version of the Attitude vs this one.

7. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    No, the 714BS came out sometime in 2000s, well over a decade after Billy Sheehan started playing Attitudes. It was marketed as a budget-friendly way of getting that pickup config.

Kitsapbass and Nunovsky like this.
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Bought my BB400 new in 1983. Great sounding bass.
    My only criticism is that it has the widest neck I've encountered on any 4 string bass.

9. I've recently purchased a used BB605 which I am using as the platform for a project. I've stripped the entire bass and am rebuilding it. All the gold hardware has been polished and gold flushmount straplocks fitted. The frets had some divets (previous owner must have done a lot of bending) so I levelled, recrowned and polished the frets and oiled the fingerboard. While on the neck I sanded back the semigloss on the back. It feels much faster now. The electronics I've replaced with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with active/passive switch and Delano hum-cancelling pickups. Just waiting on a set of Fodera strings to arrive and it will be all systems go. Yamaha build quality is as good as any Musicman, Pedulla, US Fender etc I've owned in the past, so with good pickups and preamp I'm expecting it to be a killer.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. have you encountered a 1.75" nut fender precision?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, so is there a standard weight range the newest Yamaha BB basses fall into? Do they do like most companies and decrease the weight of the more expensive ones? Danged if looking at these new models doesn't make me want to go all Team Yamaha and get a BB 4-string of some sort, but nowadays I need to limit the weight to around 8 lbs, maybe 8 1/2 if I have to, and I'd like less than 8 lbs if possible. I saw on a thread about them that someone got a BB734 that weighed slightly over 9 lbs, which is certain to tear my shoulder up again. Is that the usual ballpark for them or do they vary?

12. I’ve been tracking the weights of BB734a that come up on sweetwater or other online listings for the last year or so. Of the 15 I’ve recorded, all of them are over 9lbs. The two I own are 9lb 2oz and 9lb 3oz.
    The lightest Yamaha BB bass I’ve owned was 8lb 11.5oz and it was the least exciting sounding out of the 12 I own/ed. I don’t think the top of the line BBP34 will be any lighter. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 8.5lb BB bass though I don’t keep track of all the weights I see. They just don’t tend to be light basses.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well that's a bummer for me. The other basses they have are cool but not really my thang like the BB series. OTOH, I think I have about all the basses I'll need till I croak :D Thx for your excellent detective work, though!

Kitsapbass likes this.
  14. Fender precisions can get pretty light. I see a lot under 8.5lbs. Yamaha BB’s P pickup, whether it be reversed or regular orientation are placed about half an inch closer to the neck than fenders. What is it about the new BB series that’s getting your attention? There’s probably a way to incorporate those features into a lighter weight bass.

15. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    Yamaha basses are just amazing. I never tried any of their basses (even the entry level ones) that aren't good. I also never read/heard people complaint about Yamaha basses.

But yes for some reasons they are not more popular and do seems very hard to resell,unless you really price it very desperately。

16. I for one am kind of glad Yamaha has been a competent but quiet player in the bass market.

Fender = name recognition= way over-priced!

17. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I would LOVE to get my hands on an old BB3000 (natural) preferably; but I'd take one in Black as well

Kitsapbass likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well I've always dug Yamaha stuff and I dig the BB series. And Yamaha bought Ampeg and I'm an endorser :D

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. i use ampeg myself

if you don't mind jazz pickups, you could try the RBX4 A2. It's very lightweight and very yamaha.
    1faa4614281be1e49fb1c5d4547732f1-1200-80.
    i guess lightweight BB are out there. i see some 8lb weights advertised after a quick internet search. unfortunately i haven't run across them personally. Yamaha sort of advertised lighter weight and smaller bodies with the recent BB234,434,734a,P34 series but from what i've seen, it's only about half a pound or so, bringing a 9-10lb bass down to 8.5-9.5lb range. i guess there are some that are a little lighter due to the wood density.

you probably know this, but the 734a and P34 have an interesting alder/maple sandwich construction. how that affects weight and would be affected by chambering would be interesting to know.
    overview_body_construction_638x358_8c975a03a2dd8299ba89214e76f60279.

Pbassmanca, Nunovsky and JimmyM like this.
  20. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    I’m having fun with this old Yamaha!

Pbassmanca, Nunovsky and Matt R like this.