1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No Love For Yamaha Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by non, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The first time I saw Chick Corea (early '80s - Tap Step tour with Bunny Brunel on bass) he traveled with his own Yamaha grand piano. We were in the alley behind The Agora in Columbus talking with Naná Vasconcelos (he was showing us how to play the berimbau) when the stage hands started loading the piano into the tour truck.

2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    The 80's to mid-90's Yamahas were outstanding and were/are very good bang for the buck. I owned a 1984 BB3000, a very excellent recording bass which I stupidly sold at one point, as well as an early single truss rod TRB-6P that was my main bass from 1990 until about 2000. Over time, it became a "beta" bass and sported a few different pickup and preamp combinations, the best (and last) of which was Bartolini narrow soap bars with a Demeter preamp. Unfortunately, with the single truss rod in that massive neck it bowed radically with climate/humidity changes, and that problem seemed to get worse over time. The last straw was on a road gig where I flew into a city where the weather was very hot and dry, causing the neck to upbow so badly that it fretted out completely above the 15th fret. Obviously that didn't make me appear very professional, so I chose to retire the bass. it was a shame, because it was a great sounding and playing instrument. Yamaha went to the double truss rod configuration on the TRB-6P's pretty early on (mine was one of the first ones to come into the US). That solved the stability issue, but for me the bulkier necks on the double truss rod models didn't feel nearly as comfortable to play.

3. wluffman

wluffman

Dec 21, 2013
    Big question is: will Yamaha keep the Ampeg and Line 6 brands alive, or will they now become Yamaha-branded products? I'd be cool if they added "by Yamaha" or "a Yamaha company" in small print beneath the existing logo.

4. d3mcgee

d3mcgee Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    SANTA ROSA
    Im thinking of buying the BBNE2 model & dont forget Abraham Laboriel one of the best he says on one of his videos Quincy Jones wanted him to play only
    Yamaha Bass's on his recordings

5. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Specifically it was the BB3000:

Badwater likes this.
  6. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    I had a BBG5 for several years, very solid build and very good tone for an inexpensive 5-string. Yamaha makes good gear all around, IMHO.

7. dedindi

dedindi

Oct 30, 2009
    Ukraine
    I played Yamaha many years, but changed it to Warwick. I do not know why, I like yamaha's clarity =)

8. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Looking back a few decades I like the analogy a partner of mine made. Like a Pontiac car owner, a Fender bass player was always inclined to dink with it, to work on it, to "upgrade" it; a Yamaha bass OTOH was like a Honda: get in start and drive. It wasn't the sexiest but it did exceptionally well what it was built to do. I, for one, admire that.

Badwater and michael_t like this.
  9. They generally are very good basses. I was watching a active 4 on craigslist, seller lowered the price & someone beat me to the deal. I have a Yamaha acoustic guitar that is great. My only complaint is that they will make a nice bass for a few years then discontinue it. I had a friend had a very nice Yamaha 6 string, he paid over $2500 for it, a few years later he saw it on clearance at musicians friend for $599

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Yamaha is amazing. Their MIJ basses I’ve played have craftsmanship on par with the very best and despite being pricey, still represent a value if you buy from a larger retailer. I got my old Nathan East 5 for several hundred dollars under advertised price from Musicians Friend and it was as nice as any F Bass/Sadowsky/Fodera I’ve owned. I’ve owned tons of stuff but regret letting go very few basses I sold/traded off. I still wish I had the Nathan East though.

Badwater likes this.
  11. Jayneck Peabody

Jayneck Peabody Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    All this love.....and yet when I go to their website I can't get nut width or string spacing. I'd say they have a long ways to go towards meeting the needs of possible buyers.

12. togril

togril

Jun 29, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    Yamaha have a noble history of Instrument making - The Original "Yamaha San" (forgot his name) built an eorgan that he wanted to give to the emperor, so he travelled on foot through Japan with the organ on his back. You can see that legacy on Yamaha Motorcycles and even the boat pictured here: "The 3 Tuning Forks in a Circle logo". Their Grand Piano's are in the Best concert halls globally, they own Bosendorfer Pianos. All their instruments are consistently good at all ranges, (in my experience).

Matt R and JimmyM like this.
  13. Jayneck Peabody

Jayneck Peabody Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    michael_t likes this.
  14. pigpen1

pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Strongly considering a BB 735a. Good value, looks cool, sounds cool. Plus a 20-inch + FB radius (I'd have totally flat one if I could)

LowEndOperative and Badwater like this.
  15. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I really love my Yahama TRBX505 (best neck I ever played) and my Yamaha Attitude Custom (P bass on steroids).
    My main criticism to Yamaha is the lack of color choices, and when they have ones in natural wood I don't gel at all.
    I want a backup TRBX505 for years, but I don't get one as I hate the available colors. I will buy one right now if they sell a TRBX5050 in translucent black (a real translucent not an opaque translucent as I have right now) with maple fretboard.

Nikol4ik likes this.
  16. TH63

TH63

Jan 30, 2016
    Phnom Pen, Cambodia
    My go to bass right now is an RBX 800A. I also have; rbx 600, 500, and 374. all are great basses.

Badwater likes this.
  17. TH63

TH63

Jan 30, 2016
    Phnom Pen, Cambodia
    Oh yea, and rbx 4A2

18. Crooker

Crooker

Feb 14, 2018

19. Crooker

Crooker

Feb 14, 2018
    C262E10E-80F4-4717-B34C-9B319A946273. My BB300 is my main gigging Bass. It looks rough, it's beat up and I don't have to worry about dropping it (done that several times) it plays the best out of all my basses including my USA Stingray.
    I paid $100 for it 5yrs ago and didn't even have to have it set up.
    Love it!

Tvrtko and michael_t like this.