1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No more need to pay up for coated strings????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vindibona1, May 13, 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    As I'm putting new DR Sunbeam strings on my Jazz Bass I'm looking at the back of the individual string wrappers and notice they are putting ads on the backs... and one caught my eye.

In big letters it says "COAT YOUR OWN STRINGS with STRINGLIFE"!
    I'm attaching a photo of the ad, but here is what the rest of it says;

"Stringlife is as effective in prolonging the useful life of strings (when applied to the entire length of the sttring) as factory coated strings. Players may coat their favorite set of bass, acoustic or electric strings to make them last longer.

Stringlife liquid polymer coating bonds to strings by causing the positive charge of electrons in your strings to attract to the negative charged polymer. This creates a process called electrovalent bonding."

It looks like all the stores have them. $10. Here is a link to one of many sources. DR String Life Liquid Polymer String Coating

Has anyone else heard of this product before? I have always felt abused when asked to pay almost double the price for a cheap coating on strings that I reckoned could be easily done with the right product. I really don't have a need for coated strings, but thought I'd share this anyway.

Stringlife_coating.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  2. Marketing through technical jargon such as this doesn't do much for me personally.

Remember the "Vapor Shield Molecularly Modified Bass Strings" by La Bella? Are they still around?

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Spray on hair. That was a good product!

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I knew elixir in a can had to happen some time. I wonder if or not it actually relies upon electrovalence for bonding.

Hopefully that's a felt tip bottle and not a spray all over the place bottle.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They are gone. Part of the great LaBella bass string purge of 2019.

6. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I think coating used to be a more involved process. The initial poly-web strings was basically a thin Gore-tex coating, a water-proofing process that the Gore company had an exclusive too. It was used extensively in clothing. Then someone got the bright idea to use it on guitar strings. But a lot of guys didn't like what it did to the tone. So they Elixir came out with "Nano-web", a different process of extra light coating of polymers... a process that could be duplicated in variation and is done so extensively, especially when string makers saw how much additional margin was involved. Yep. only time before someone came up with a DIY product.

I think so. The cap that I've seen on the picture would indicate a wipe-on application. I've always felt that the amount of increased cost for giving the strings a bath was abusive, but in a capitalist economic system you can price your product any way you see fit.

logdrum likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

MattZilla likes this.
  8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    It is string "cleaner" or string "coater"? Different products that share the same name? The photo on the DR website has a different can with different wording, although looks like the same type of applicator.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 11:29 AM
  9. Yes, I noticed that as well. But the one on the package in your photo looks like the other one. You might want to contact DR for clarification.

10. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I may be calling them anyway to ask about their bass string varieties. Debating going back to Pure Blues on Jazz Basses or trying Black Beauties on my Jazz 4.

11. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Isn’t this the basis for powder coat paint, like they put on office filing cabinets and such? I’m not sure, but I think that involves actual electrical charging. - Please call me out if I’m wrong...

12. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I’ve used it.

The instructions say to wipe on and wipe off to “clean,” wipe on and let sit 24 hours to “coat.”

I did the latter on a new set of Chromes (and a Rotosound 77 low B)

The result is that the strings go on sounding a week or two old.

I use my strings until they’re well and truly dead, it’s been about a year and a half since I put them on. Don’t know that it took them particularly longer to reach “dead” tone, and if I had to quantify it I’d say this dead tone is maybe 5% brighter than the uncoated dead tone. Not noticeable enough for me to actually be happy about the sound, but noticeable enough for me to continue procrastinating on changing strings.

13. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Weird that DR would advertise that over their own coated strings...

Which reminds me, I just made the jump from Hi Beams to Dragon Skins on my bass. Exactly the same tension and flex has Hi Beams but with a coated feel and a less scooped sound thanks to the tamed brightness. Another winner I feel already!

14. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    It would seem that the proper way to use it is to coat brand new strings BEFORE installing them on the bass or guitar. I can't think of any other way to apply it to the entire length of the string entirely around the circumference. IF there is an electrostatic (or whatever it's called) bond, and the liquid can get between the windings, then perhaps it can be of some benefit. PERSONALLY speaking, having used Elixir strings on some acoustics, I find that Elixirs provide about a 20% increase in longevity 6-8 wks vs 4-6 weeks over my preferred non-coated strings and other brands of coated strings offer no additional longevity.

While this thread is about polymer coating, I would like to point out that I personally use a product called Finger-Ease which reduces the friction on the strings, but also claims to increase longevity. I wipe this product on, (even though it comes in a spray can) and only apply it to the top of the strings where my fingers touch. As far as keeping the gunk out of the strings, other than keeping my hands clean, I will wipe down the strings from time to time, but now use an ultrasonic cleaner which seems to do a pretty good job.

15. I purchased a bottle about 8 years ago, but was to lazy to apply it. I rationalized it by fearing I would get addicted to coated strings, as I was just starting out.

vvvmmm likes this.
  16. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    most likely just an expensive bottle of mineral oil.

17. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    You're supposed to apply it, not ingest it :).

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I don't really see any value add from coated strings. So I'll say there wasn't a need to pay up in the first place.

19. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    Wax on, wax off.

20. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Sell it as vintage.

ObsessiveArcher and clickclack like this.