1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No real rockstars anymore...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JACink, Jan 22, 2012.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I was not quite sure where to post this, but as it made me laugh, I think it fits well into this section!!

I was sat with some (audio world) friends around a table in a bar, having a few drinks, and talking about music in general, when one of the guys made a comment that made us all stop and listen to his point of view.

His exact words:
    "The music industry is all f***ed up, there are no real rockstars anymore!! The world is full of young wannabe's who don´t take the responsability of fame, they just sing all this crap about how their mothers miss them, how rich they are, and all kinds of s**t like that!! Hell nobody dies from overdoses anymore!"

This got us (humorously) interested, and when we asked him to elaborate on what he was on about (his english is by no means perfect), he went on to explain the following (not in these exact words, but vey very similar):
    "You guys laugh, but it´s true! Real rockstars always used to have crazy lives, and used to write songs while they were completely high on all kinds of drugs and s**t, and of course they made their point by dying from an overdose, like a real rockstar! I mean nowadays, they just sing about money and missing their momma´s, they don´t take the responsability of fame, how can they be real rockstars if they don´t kill themselves?"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This conversation, amongst much laughing, went on for a while, but he was deadly :ninja: serious!

The whole conversation was summed up with his answer to the question "So to be a rockstar you have to die?"

His answer:
    "Of course, if you want to be a REAL rockstar, and not some lonely kid who misses his momma!"

So anyone who wants to be a rockstar, remember the following simple rule:
    PRACTICE = :eyebrow: OVERDOSING = :bassist:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    Well...I guess I would agree with some of it but maybe if the ones that did die were still around it would have been that much better. :eek:
    I think the late sixties and 70's was some of the best music of all time. I also wonder what we would heard from the ones we lost as they matured. We will never know sadly.

3. I'm not surprised if you need to be DEAD to be considered a real rockstar - they're ALL dead now! (the REAL ones that is lol)

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Hmmm ... another reason I am glad I didn't make it in the music business ... I got to live to be 50.

5. Lemmy is a rockstar.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Today's Country music is in large part where Rock 'n' Roll would be if grunge hadn't ruined it.

7. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    David Grohl is the only person who I could think of as a rockstar, but he's a mature-ish one. Does that count? Hehe.

8. Slipknot 'recently' lost a member due to questionable lifestyle choices, and he wore a pig mask to depict gluttony and enjoyment of the rock star lifestyle. I recall a month or so before that another musician died in similar circumstances I unfortunately can't recall who.

And Amy Winehouse was another big, early loss to the industry.

None were "rock" stars by genre, but to claim the industry isn't the same because people aren't dying "for it" seems a little ridiculous.

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Heh. A friend of mine's doing a series called "Socash And The Stars" with various big-name Polish rock musicians, and it seems they're all over 40. Probably not too much interest in overdosing at that age. Rock's become old people music.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Ryan Jarman from The Cribs is a pretty good rock star.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Lots of real rock stars still living. Your friend's comments are funny for about two minutes.

12. A stupid thing to say in any context.Many I would consider "Rock Stars" did not need to kill themselves to be successful in the music world! Sadly some met their demise sooner than they should have due to poor choice. And isn't that what the Life is about your choices.

13. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    +12 to Lemmy..Real Deal
    +10 to Amy Winehouse..Real Deal
    +5 to 'Lil Wayne..yeah, yeah I know not to many of ya'll like him, but he has a bunch of 'Rock Star' in him.
    I would say Bono and U2, but something about him and them is just so, so, Saturday Morning Mini-van, cut the yard in Dockers have neighboors over for game night..not interested.

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Well now that we have that established only Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Elvis, some of the guys from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Kurt Cobain were rockstars. Everyone else is a total poser!

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Nah, Kurt Cobain is not a rock star. I don't think he overdosed (though I could be wrong), so he doesn't count.

16. There are less drugged rock stars these days 'cus by now the smart surviving rock & roll veterans as well as smart modern rockers and fans must have learned that taking hard drugs lightly ain't good.
    I think that forty years ago people knew a lot less about drugs and so became hooked easily.

Now, my opinion, claiming that the drugs made the early rockers better is rubbish... It just made for some great stories! (Read 'Life' by Keith Richards.) And well... We all love great stories don't we?

I do agree with to guy on one thing though... We need more true rockers with hair on there balls and an evil grin on their face!
    So many of these modern famous rock artist seem to 'act' on stage, in the way they talk and move. A bit like they have learned how they 'should' look and behave, instead of doing what they feel like and feels right for them.

For my, a real rock star is someone who does things his truly own way!

17. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
  18. I'd agree with your friend's comment. Nikki Sixx and Steven Tyler are real rockstars. But they're both over 50.

19. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    As long as Lemmy is still alive, so will rock and roll be.

20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nope. Kurt didn't overdose. Cortney shot him in the face with a shotgun.