1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

not metal enough for a metal band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by basicbass, Apr 15, 2015.

1. basicbass

basicbass

Feb 3, 2012
    Ok, so i'm in a metalband and the bands guitarist told me last rehearsal "you play the songs well, but not with a metal attitude"..

To which I replied that I will practice on playing it more "metal" (because i'm a pretty cooperative person;) )

On which he replied:"it's not only the playing, you don't look like a metal person either"...

from there on we got in a discussion about whats metal and what's not...

- I believe that how you look and act on stage is your stage act which doesn't have to represent how you look in your daily life(I'm in the 30's and father of 2 kids).
    I do like playing metal and I like certain metal bands, but I never been a "metalhead".
    -he thinks that metal is a "way of life" and people that play metal shows in all black with skulls and studs but dress like a every day person when they go shopping are "fake" metal heads..

is it really that not-done to not be a "pure metalhead" and still play in a metal band?

Unemploid likes this.
  2. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Is he 16 years old? Because that's the only excuse for his attitude.

He's a dick, time to move on.

3. Felix1776

Felix1776 Supporting Member

What's the deal? Do you not wear enough black? Does he want you to wear corpse paint?

000_Unknown likes this.
  4. basicbass

basicbass

Feb 3, 2012
    Actually I wore black pants, allstars and and a dark grey t-shirt... was metal enough for a simple band practise day I think

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    He's definitely right - you can't play metal if you have a job, a family, aren't a drunk and a junky, and otherwise aren't a complete loser like him ;) . Is this your first gui**** :D?

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Well, even if you ARE "metal" enough, then you have to take a close look at which sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre you are. Because if they're looking for a true grindcryptodeathsludghardDOOMcore player but you're merely a grindcryptodeathsludgehardcore guy, then there could NEVER be a place in a band like theirs for someone who clearly knows NOTHING about what real metal is.

I keed, I keed! (sorta ;)) :D

7. envy1400

envy1400

Feb 19, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Too concerned about looks. There are plenty of metal bands that don't look "metal" that play metal. I love that Javier Reyes from AAL sometimes looks like he's about to teach geometry. In the end I think the music is far more important.

I feel you though. My singer in my band (indie rock) doesn't like when I play my Cirrus because "its too metal". :rollno:

Veldar, ImNotJoel and SandCBass like this.
  8. WannabeBassman

WannabeBassman

Jan 17, 2015
    San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles)
    Someone told me pants are optional.
    See, that's your problem, right there. The proper metal response would have been a stream of invective, concurrent with taking the guitarist's ax and smashing an amp and cab with it. :cool:

9. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    You're not really metal unless your clownshoes stage act is a 24/7 endeavor.

000_Unknown likes this.
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

families-parent-mother-bad-naughty-swearing-kscn612_low.

11. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    A lot of the time in my metal band I would wear Abercrombie sweats and sandals for rehearsal.

12. basicbass

basicbass

Feb 3, 2012
    This is one of my favourite metal bands:

They don't look more metal than me I think

Attached Files:

ImNotJoel and AndrewTaran like this.
  13. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    tnks... just found my new status update

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  14. Dude you can wear whatever you want... It's metal there's no rules... But unless it's like band atire like costumes then just go and tear it up.. But with that being said I do agree with its not a music its a lifestyle too... Also for some reason we always wear Camo shorts lol

15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    He's so right, I mean any true metal band worthy of the name would surely turn down some poser like this...
    gzuJnjmje4c8LTw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.

16. haha metal bands nowadays dress like hipsters! look at tosin abasi, or august burns red they freakin were blue skinny jeans bright colored v necks and FLIP FLOPS , yes, FLIP FLOPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on stage and they are awesome and heavy!! freakin posers these days, sorry your apparently not metal enough!!! honestly tho im really sorry for that guys vanity and him being a poser

000_Unknown likes this.
  17. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Pffft. You could have a bright pink bass and still be Metal. I would totally go out and play my Tech Death heart out on a pink bass. But really, it's not hard to "look" Metal. Jeans, t shirt. What could be more simple? This fella seems to just be up his own arse.

MJS7101 and 000_Unknown like this.
  18. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    maybe what you look like & your attitude isnt portrayed by what you wear or by what you say and/or play? o_O:dead::cool:

can you post a picture of yourself? and some recordings that show your attitude? just kidding... that is to say, only if you dont want to :laugh::roflmao:

as something actually constructively to add; this photo is where I'd start if you feel like you want to change toward a "metal fashion"
    lASL12v.
    yes be entertaining : and yes be yourself:thumbsup::woot::cool:

edit. wiki also adds (if helpful, i would think so), "the breed [of music; metal has] less syncopation, less blues, more showmanship and more brute force"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Haji and 000_Unknown like this.
  19. bftbassman

bftbassman

Aug 23, 2014
    Ephrata PA
    i am so metal looking i am not allowed to play in my Church praise band..lol

MJS7101, Haji and Unemploid like this.
  20. baceface

baceface

Dec 28, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    This is food for at least one more band practice before quitting... Id show up in tight black jeans, a white t shirt with red marker lettering saying "Metal Up Your Ass", a mullet wig etc...

oh, and roll up a pack of Marlboro in the sleeve and top everything off with a pair of Asics wrestling shoes. Then tell the douche where to stick it :)

000_Unknown likes this.