Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp, Jan 5, 2005.

now or later?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2005.
  1. March 2005 ($1500)

71 vote(s)
  2. March 2006 ($4000)

40 vote(s)
  1. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    ive been giving an option of buying a new bass this march or waiting till next march and get summin thats really gonna be nice(probably gonna get an F bass) so i would like to know should i get a new bass now at th3e value of around $1500 or should i wait till next year and get a bass of up to $4000?

Also state your reason for why you would prefer now or later.
  2. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    How about one now for $1500 and one later for $2500?
  3. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i dont think thats an option. but smart thinking.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Personally, unless you have a lot of disposable income, I don't think a $4000 bass is going to play, sound or feel that much better than a $1500 one.

It will definitely not be $2500 better.

Now if you have a lot of cash lying around to drop on a 4 grand bass, more power to you.

I've had some pretty expensive basses in my time...and the only one I have left is one I got for $300.

GAS is treatable, but the only thing I've found that truy works for GAS is marriage and kids. :)

Best of luck to you.
  5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Can you get the bass you WANT for $1500?? Your profile says you want a Sadowsky or an Fbass. I think you should wait until you have enough for one of them. I am guilty of spending quickly instead of saving for the goal, and while I have some sweet toys, I am still as far away from a Sadowsky or Fbass (both on MY list) as I was two yrs ago.
  6. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    yeah i choose the bass, thats just the price range.
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    MIA standar Fender jazz V vs lackland D55-94 gives you the best $2500 difference in sound and looks.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If your current bass doesn't have good playability, get the $1500 bass now. If you can get by just fine on what you have now, well, get one now or later, your choice. Strong suggestion: make sure you have a backup bass.

Another angle: is your amp sufficient? If not, you should consider getting the $1500 bass and upgrading your amp.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that's how I see it too
  10. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    my current bass is fine it serves me well the new bass is going to be a 5string fretless so it more for a different sound. my amp is only one year old and still fine for my current needs.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

I would never spend $4000 on a fretless. I've just played way too many fretless basses for much less that have been amazing instruments.
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I wouldn't spend 4000$ on any bass, a bass for 1500$ cost a little less than 4000$ where i live. :bawl:
    I would buy the 1500$ bass and buy a new amp/bass next year for 2500$.
  13. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Things change during the course of a year. A 1500.00 bass now is far far better than a possible 4000.00 bass in the future. I can't even imagine buying a 4000.00 bass in any case since my 300.00 and 350.00 basses are both great instruments. I'd probably try to get a couple basses for my 1500.00 but then I'm a cheapskate.
  14. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't think anything makes a $2500 difference in sound, feel or playability, regardless of what basses are being discussed. Yes, there would be differences, but certainly not distinguished enough to pay that much for subtleties. Now I'm not talking a beat up, unplayable bass (worthless) vs. a $2500 bass.

Now, if you happen to have that kind of cash lying around, as opposed to having to save up for it, maybe it really is disposable enough to get a $4000 bass.

It's a personal choice, that much is certain. I've got a $300 bass that I can make beautiful music with and tone that kills. It's all in my hands, man. It's that simple. Would I sound better, or play better on a bass that costs $2500 more. No way. I know...I've tried it.
  15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wait until next year and buy something outrageously expensive. In the meantime, play an SX.
  16. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    NEVER settle. Play both the $1500 and the $4000 one as soon as you can (if you can) and do a side-by-side comparison. You'll feel your answer after you're done.

I've learned (over and over again - way too many times) that settling is more costly than having to wait or ponying up the cash in the first place.

Who knows, if the $1500 bass sounds/feels better to you, then you just saved yourself $2500.
  17. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If these price limits were in place because of your finances who's to say in another year you will have any money to spend on a bass. You never know, you might have to replace your car or something. I say spend the $ now because you may not even have $1500 next year.
    I'm not wishing bad luck on you, I'm just looking out.
  18. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    nah its in an account and i know i will have it next year because i can only get to it next year.
  19. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd suggest you find the best used fretless 5 you can for $1,500 -- I've seen Roscoes and Zons both sell for less (I bought my own LG 3005 fretless for $1200), so if you're a bit patient, you should be able to score one within a couple months. A good used instrument at a good price will hold its value as long as you don't abuse it, and if you still want a more expensive instrument in the future, you can sell this one for at least what you paid.

By the way, I don't agree with the posters who imply that a $4k bass isn't "worth it." It's all a matter of what you like to spend your money on, what pleases you. In the musical instrument world, electric basses remain an incredible bargain. The top mandolin luthiers currently command up to $30k for their instruments (with a multi-year waiting list -- if they're still taking orders) and don't even think about violins, where a top bow will cost you as much as an F Bass or a Sadowsky.
  20. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I never said a $4000 bass wasn't worth it. I said that there wasn't $2500 worth of difference in sound, feel and playability.

That doesn't mean that spending $4000 on a bass isn't worth it to some people. People obviously do that and they feel it's worth it. So it is. Worth is determined by what somebody is willing to spend...and that goes for anything, be it art, a car, a boat, whatever.

If someone spends $4000 on a bass, then it is worth it to them.

But I still stand by my statement that there isn't a $2500 difference in sound, feel and playability. What you're paying for is to own something you want. And to you it may well be worth it, or you wouldn't spend it. But it still will not give anyone a sound that can't be had for less. You are paying for aesthetics. Much like buying a unique work of's all in the eye of the beholder.