Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp, Jan 5, 2005.

now or later?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2005.
  1. March 2005 ($1500)

71 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. March 2006 ($4000)

40 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Buy a bass now... If you're getting a fretless and don't play fretless alot already, don't spend $4000. There are quite a few good basses around $1500. Try to buy something that you will be able to sell later so if you don't like it you can buy a $4000 bass later if necessary.

Quite honestly, I have to agree with most of the folks... I don't know if a $4000 bass will play that much better than a $1500 bass. I have a few high end basses and I was GASing for a fodera until I played one. It was different but now another 3k better than my Ken Smith.

Due to production and aftermarket parts, you can make a great bass for $1500.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

I disagree with all of this. It's like saying a $3500 upright is the same as a $10000 upright. It's just not true. There is an art in building an instrument of any kind and not just the art of how it looks either. If you've found a cheaper bass that you're happy with than I'm very glad for you. True, Matt Garrison would sound the same on a Cort instead of his Fodera but it will never feel or sound the same. Therefore, the Fodera is an instrument that lends itself better to expressing yourself. The difference comes when you hold an instrument in your hands and it doesn't feel like you are even playing it when you make a note. The difference is also how an instrument resonates against your body and how you respond to that.

Price has a lot to do with many things; experience, workmanship, supply and demand, etc...... How the particular instrument effects one player is what makes it a great instrument.

Chimp, if you can afford the instrument that you want right now, go for it. If you have your heart set on a particular bass that you have to wait for, take up a sport and keep yourself busy..........It's well worth the wait.

3. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i play double bass so intonation isnt a problem and neither is myself not liking the sound a problem. the thing is with getting myself the 4000 bass its gonna probably be my main bass for life and ill probably pass it on to my kids (when i have em)

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've played many Foderas and not all of them were over the top fantastic. Like any builder's creations not all of them are stellar. Do however make sure that an instrument is setup properly to make a fair judgement. The Fodera's that I've disliked were usually in a shop and were probably sitting there for a while without having a proper setup.

The ones that have knocked me out were the best instruments that I've ever played. There are so many amazing playing and sounding basses out there right now though. It all depends on what speaks to you as a player.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In my opinion, you should get the $1,500 bass now if it is a bass you really and truly want, and get the $4,000 bass used which would probably be around $2,500. That way you have your cake and eat it too. :bassist:

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Let's not forget that someone in South Africa doesn't have these instruments as readily available to them to play. They really see them mostly on the internet. Also, and most importantly (Chimp, please correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that a bass is valued a lot more by someone not in the US. Most of us here are bombarded with consumerism. We constantly buy and sell instruments without hesitation. I believe that Chimp would probably have more of an appreciation for any bass (or anything for that matter) than all of us here. I believe him when he says that it's a bass that he would keep forever.

Andy.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Hmm... how do you know "it" will be your bass for life? Do you even know what "it" will be?

Doesn't seem to me that you are sure of what you want. I wasn't sure what I wanted from a bass until I went through a lengthy learning process. I had to go through that again once I switched to 5-string. Unless you know what you want, I highly recommend getting a $1500 bass. If that one doesn't work out, you can sell it and get another... and so on and so forth until you can say something like "I want a 5-string bass with wide spacing, ash body, J-J pickup configuration, 3-band EQ, epoxied ebony fingerboard (etc etc). Then you can have a nice custom built for $4k.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    No doubt Foderas are awesome instruments... I totally agree that setup makes a difference. IMHO any instrument over 2k should be somewhat custom. An instrument over 4k should definitely be a custom instrument (Planning on getting a custom bass soon- see other thread regarding custom basses) When you're looking at an instrument in that price range you are looking for particular tones, woods, pickups etc. This probably shouldn't be an off the rack instrument.

That being said, I think there are some great "off the rack" instruments such as Ritter, MTD and Ken Smith.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Regarding "settling": I don't advise that either... once you know what you want! I've ordered a Sadowsky P5 because it has the features I want in a 5-string P-bass. The Fender and Lull versions would be sufficient, but the Sadowsky is just right (for me).

That said, "settling" shouldn't be equated with price. F'r instance, exhibition-grade figured wood and fancy inlays make for a prettier bass, not a better one. What good is a pretty bass if it doesn't have the tone and/or playability that you like?

Actually, the same goes for flawless fit and finish. I'll take my production-line Fender RB5 over *any* boutique that has narrower string spacing or a too-slim (for me) neck profile.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I absolutely agree, especially your last comment. That cures a lot of things. :D

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'd hold off and wait. My opinion is its better to hold off and wait to get something you really want than to compromise and get something that you might wind up regretting a few years down the road.

I've always compromised and the end result was always some form of dissapointment/unhappiness.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

Agreed...

13. Find a good deal on used bass that will hold it's value for around a grand, then when you get more money sell it and you'll be able to get the $4000 bass and you'll have something new to play now.

14. Save up for something for a while, and find a bass that really quenches all your needs and fancies. And if that is cheaper than 4k, that's good.

Remember, you can buy a $1,500 bass with $4,000. But you can't buy a $4,000 bass for $1,500.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just have to echo what a lot of people are saying here. Buy a bass that you truly want for $1500 or $4000. In my experience, I've never found a bass worth over $2500 that felt "worth" it's price tag. Used is a different story. You talked about an F-Bass. Why don't you get a BN5-Fretless used for around that price. Or find a $4000 bass used, so it'll cost you half as much. Bottom line is don't let others tell you what to do. Think about it carefully and decide what your priorities are...Decide if the $2500 difference is worth it in the categories that matter. If you find a bass that you truly love for $100, then that's the right bass for you.

16. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Sound and playability is what it comes down to in the end. If it sounds killer and plays good - BUY it, but don't let a high price tag convince you that it is in any way better than a lower priced bass. Beyond a certain level of quality, more expensive does not = better. More expensive ='s more expensive. I've owned several, multi-thousand dollar (3,500.00 - $4,600.00 ) handmade exotic basses from a big name luthier or two in my 20 years playing experience in search of some mythelogical "holy grail" only to find that EVERY SINGLE BASS BAR NONE, at ANY price will always, always, always leave you saying "if only it had this, or sounded like a little more like that", etc, etc.
    I finally ditched those pieces of furniture and I am as happy as a clam with my $1,500.00 MusicMan Stingray 5. Like I said, the Stingray is no execption and there are a couple little things I'd change about it if I could, but at least I didn't pay a king's ransom for it. Sorry if I'm offending anybody out there during my little rant here. But for all the exotic woods, boutique electronics, blah, blah, blah all wrapped up in a genuine 100% Sasquatch hide gig bag, I'll still take a good ol' Ray with me and tear up a show with a killer tone and great playability. You see, all these nice-ities are great, but does anyone really NEED them to have a great tone? :rollno: There comes a point in terms of tone and playability where the playing field is leveled. Anything above that is just paying for asthetic (sp) value. IMHO
    Peace.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1!

Perfectly put. If you already know what you really want, get THAT... even if it means waiting for a while. It will be worth the wait, which will be nothing to you once you're through it, and you'll wonder how you ever considered "settling" before.

If you're too impulsive to save the money, get a low interest loan and make the payments. Paying a small amount of interest over a year or so is well worth not missing out on the magic that happens when you get that perfect bass.

All that said, I also agree with the posters who say you don't have to spend 4K to get a GREAT bass!

The bottom line is, if it's 1500 or 2500 or whatever, get the RIGHT bass and buy that... even if you have to finance or wait to do it.

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i would save the money, but then again having a custom instrument made for you is something else :)
    sorry im no help.

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    This is so true..
    If you're looking for an instrument to last you a lifetime, why don't you wait until next year -- you can get 2 basses or you can get a single $4,000 bass. You can also get a really good $2,500 bass and an amp, or just save the rest of the money.

20. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This has become a fairly interesting thread that seems to have "matured" from a simple issue of delayed gratification ("should I buy what I can afford now or save up for something better later") to a much more fundamental issue of value per $ in bass guitars.

In my experience with other instruments (esp. mandolin-family instruments), there is a definite price-value curve, with "value" being a whole package of attributes: tone, playability, workmanship, aesthetics, material quality, luthier skill & experience, etc., etc. As you move up the price curve, value typically goes up to some degreee along all these dimensions -- i.e., a good $4k mandolin is "better" than a good $1.5k mandolin in terms of tone, playability, workmanship, etc. And of course, you can't attribute the total price difference to improvement on any single dimension -- i.e., for an extra $2.5k, you don't get $2.5k improvement in just tone , or just playability, or just aesthetics -- but rather to an improvement in the total package.

But what I'm hearing in this thread is that all this may not hold true for bass guitars -- that you reach some peak in terms of "real" stuff like tone, playability, materials at some price point (say $1.5k), and beyond that point, all you get for the extra dollar spent is some combination of aesthetics and luthier reputation.

I'm curious if people believe this.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021