Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp, Jan 5, 2005.

now or later?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2005.
  1. March 2005 ($1500)

71 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. March 2006 ($4000)

40 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm not sure they're saying that there's no improvement above that price point, just that there's a point of diminishing returns.
    It would not surprise me if you hit that point a little quicker with electric instruments like bass guitars than with acoustic instruments, simply because I think there are more subtleties and complexities involved in creating an exceptional acoustic instrument.

Even then, past a certain point "better" starts to become very subjective. We won't even get into "worth the money"--nothing could be more subjective than that!

But back to the original question. I voted for $1500 now, simply because even though I've owned some very expensive basses, it seems like spending $4000 on an instrument is a very major investment. It's not something I'd consider unless I knew from long experience exactly what I wanted, and that I couldn't get it any other way.

Mike

2. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Although we sometimes like to think otherwise, I'd argue that "better" is always completely subjective.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dead on.

IMHO, the issue lies in the fact that the super expensive basses (Like Fodera, for example) cost that much more due to their uniquness, aesthetic value, rarity, and construction quality, which at that level, have more to do with the subjective component than the practical component of the bass.

To get that extra perfect and extremely rare piece of wood, that extra level of perfection in the bookmatching, etc., just simply doesn't make a huge difference in the practical side of a bass... or any electric instrument, for that matter, but makes a huge difference in cost. Acoustics (like a string bass) go a lot farther before you get to that point, but eventually, IMHO, the same becomes true for them as well.

The problem is, it depends on each person's perspective on how they weight the practical element (playability, tone) vs the non-practical (how beautiful/rare). That "weighting" IS purely subjective, IMHO, so that's why I totally agree with RunnDog on this.

4. John Meyers

John Meyers

Dec 14, 2003
    I voted for you to wait. I think you should get what ever you realy want, and if what you want takes another year so be it. Because for most of us, a $4,000.00 bass is a once in a life time thing. I did see one thing. You said you wanted a fretless. I do hope that is what you play the most of, and not a freted. Thats a lot of cash either way for something you don't mainly play. If your main bass is a freted, spend that kind of money on a freted.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, exactly. In my previous posts, I was simply stating that an extra $2500 would not get you $2500 worth of better sound, etc.

However, yes it is the aesthetics you are paying for. The rarity of wood used and craftsmanship to assemble tihs exotic, rare wood/pattern in such a way that the craftsman should be getting top dollar for it...much in the way a fine artist should get top dollar for a painting no one else could create.

I never meant to imply to anyone that it is a waste of money to pay $4000 for a bass. You are buying, to a large degree, a unique work of art that just so happens to be a musical instrument.

I'd still go for the $1500 one. The original poster posed a question...and simply because he is having doubts leads me to believe that he is not ready to shell out 4 grand, because he's not sure what he wants in the first place.

$4000 for a bass is worth it, but to me, only if I had a lot of excess cash lying around.

I'm an artist and in the past I would have loved to have owned certain pieces of artwork. However I was not willing to lose my house and my family in order to do it. Not that it wasn't worth the asking price.

So it really comes down to wants vs. needs and of course, whether or not one can afford those wants, and still maintain the needs.

6. I'm voting for you to go after the bass you want most. I've used the same bass for 4 years because a) I don't really have the funds to buy anything else and b) I chose well enough the first time that I haven't needed or wanted to change. The fact is that my Ibanez 5-string gives me the tone and has playability that suits me perfectly. I can honestly say that I've never played another bass that has suited me better. In a perfect world, I'd have a plethora of basses to choose from but with my limited funds, I'm going to continue to play my Soundgear and still love every minute of it. I'd take a Fodera if you gave it to me, but I'd never even consider spending that much money on a bass at this stage in my life. And, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't get the tone I want if you did.

Choose the bass that suits your needs and wants most. The most important thing you can do is ignore price. If you're going to have $4000 to spend, look at every bass under that you can find. When you've found the bass you want most, then you'll know whether you need to wait or not.

Leigh

7. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Er... Change my vote.. I meant to say $1500

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, tho I'd add that, even at $1500, from a musical standpoint, and even to a reasonable degree and aesthetics standpoint, you could get a pretty damn fine bass by anyone's standards. IMHO, it's just when you get below 1K where you really have to watch out.

Back on topic, tho, I wanna' reiterate, and as others have also said at this point, find the bass you really want, and buy that... even if it means waiting and/or financing. You won't TRULY be happy until you do.

9. I'm only 23, and have only been playing for about 7 years. However, I've owned a lot of basses and have played hundreds. If I was rich, I'd probably have a Fodera or something along those lines, just because I could afford it, but since I'm not rich, I've discovered some things.

First of all, there is no "out of range" price. There is only a decision to be made about how much you really want something that seems out of range. A couple years ago, I had never played a Warwick but I had always wanted one. I really wanted an expensive one, but could not afford it. I decided that I wanted one bad enough to do some legwork. I worked my way up by buying and selling several basses, amps, and cabs over the course of a couple years.

After some quick figuring, I've made around $1775 profit. My two main basses are a Streamer LX5 that I paid $800 for, and a Thumb Bolt-On 6 that I paid $1000 for. So, in a roundabout way, I've spent a total of $25 on two $2000 (+/-) basses.

The moral of the story is, if you want a certain bass bad enough, work your way up to it. You'll appreciate it more when you get it, you'll know what you really want after playing all the basses you buy and sell, and you'll be wiser with money after it's all said and done.

I agree with everyone about used basses. As long as you don't overpay for them, you can always get your money right back out of them, if not more. I've never lost money on a bass that I've bought used.

Good luck, and I hope you get what you want, whichever way you choose to go about it.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There are a lot of variables in this equazion, #1 What kind of a rig are you playing thru, a lower quality amp will minimize the differences between basses by not accuratly producing the tones coming out of that multi-lamenate splatted wood monstrousity. But on the other Hand a good amp will minimize the differences too! , by makeing a mediocre instrument sound better. What portion of your equipment budget is the rest of your rig? Good instruments inspire confidence but don't change your "sound " to the audience as much as a good sound man/direct box does! But Confidence is important! My suggestion, Buy Used ! on any given day there are at least 20 good frettless basses on the web many thru repuatable on line dealers if you can't travel. Most allow try-out periods which is even better because you can play the bass thru your own rig! If you don't know where to start check out Low Down Sound, Bass Nortwest, Bass central, G Gutiars, Austin Bass Traders or Elderly Music. I've done bussiness with four of them and never been disapointed. I bought a used Buzz (Pedulla) 3 years ago for a 1000, These Retail for 2800 , There are plenty of great deals out there for 1500, Lulls, Pedulas, Zons, Quatums. It may take you a little longer to find what you want but it will be worth it. Also High end basses are notoriously bad resale items with the exception of Fodera or Sadowsky you'll probably take a pretty good bath when you go to sell your 4000 dream bass.

11. Get the $1,500 bass now, and spend the rest of the money on women. I'm serious.

A brand new Rolls Royce may be a much more expensive automobile than a brand new Cadillac, but a Cadillac is just fine by me. ;)

Remember what Mr.Spock once said on Star Trek, "Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting."

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow...

Well, we all know what we have to do. ;)

All the above is just my own humble opinion.

To each his/her own.

Mike :)

12. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    well ive read through all your posts each had a bit of advice in it ,although some were hidden deep inside. I have decided that a 1500 bass will do fine for now atleaste i will beable to get to know what i want a little bit more because i still have alot to learn. i will also be looking around for a used bass that might just be a bass worth keeping for life at half the price. i look forward to telling you all what the out come of this is.

edit: now i just gotta find the bass thats right for me.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021