1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NS Design WAV4 megathread part I

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ElMon, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    th_wav4-1.gif

I liked the feel of the upperend one I played, but not the EQ. I've always favored a passive setup's ability to allow the 'tone in my hands' to shine thru, so would this be a good option?

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    bump.

3. Standup

Standup

Oct 5, 2006
    Baltimore
    I don't think anyone has seen one of these yet. There's a quick review somewhere (might have been on Harmony Central or somewhere) that panned the prototype, but that may or may not mean anything.

I'm interested in these too, and plan to play one when I have a chance.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump.

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Pretty new bass, L.RON.... I don't think even ALLHAIL is stocking them yet. Gotta love the price, though.

What didn't you like about the electronics in the high end NS? I've found a whole bunch of sounds in my BassCello. Just curious....

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    We're going to have to be a little more patient, my email exchange with NSD yesterday:

>these are en route to us, I will let you know as the
    >shipping time gets closer in Nov.

So, the slow boat from China is slower than predicted.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Bob - any idea if / when a fiver will be arriving?

9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I've asked, but they won't confess to any specific plans yet. You can bet I will continue to ask, and will pass on any updates as soon as they can be made public.

10. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
  11. Thanks for the link to the updated page.

I'm interested in these basses but I don't understand why they put position markers on. I find them distracting and usually they can't be totally accurate since they depend on the action and string type among other factors. I'm a DB beginner and I would still rather not have them.

Peace,
    S

12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    what is the price difference compared ot the upperend ns designed EU's?

13. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    No Markers, me no buy

14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I think they have markers...I also think these are being delivered very soon...

15. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    These are in the new Musicans Friend catalog, at a price of $899. Catalog came last night.

16. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    Tho I would want side dots, I wonder if people use those fingerboard dots up the neck. I'm with the concept, just wondering if players have to crane their necks to see them.

Any thoughts?

17. I could see using them while practising in a mirror, in order to train muscle memory. Still, temporary markers might do just as well for that. I would probably never want to be looking at them directly while playing because I am trying to not build tension into my body while playing. I already have too many bad habits.

I also noticed the Wav listed on the MF site last night, though if I were purchasing I would likely buy from someone else.

Peace,
    S

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That has been the case with my NS BassCello; if I can see them, my body is not in a position that is conducive to comfortable play. I use the strap system, BTW, not an endpin.

I don't use the dots anyway, but I do feel that they are a strange feature on an otherwise well-designed instrument.

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA

Yes. I am about two weeks into my ownership of an NS CR5M. I really love the instrument, but you are correct, the markers are a bit difficult to utilize short of really crooning over the neck.

Plus, there are so many on the neck, once you figure out where you are, it's too late! I think that I will just stick to the old method of listening.

As for the bass in general and how my comments might apply to anyone interested in a WAV, I have to say that I really enjoy owning the NS bass. I like the unique sounds and textures that I get. Plus obviously, there are things that you can do on it that you can't do on a conventional upright. Or, I should say "I" can't do.

I love the depth and body of the tone using the magnetic PUs. I also really enjoy the sustain and color of the instrument. I can everything I could ever get with an EBG plus a little more, and I enjoy playing it more.

I also love the "training wheels" element of it. I can knock off some crazy licks pretty easily on the thing as it is plays itself almost. So, I run them 'til they are second nature on the NS, and then try the old "can I do that on the real deal" question.

The bass is making me better on my DB as well.

20. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    There is no magnetic PUs on WAV series.
    I really want to know how the sound with piezo only.
    Is the magnetic PU important for a NS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.