1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NYE gig, injured finger

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dtsamples, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Strained my RH middle finger bowling four weeks ago. Punk-a$$ phalange still hasn't healed. My DIP joint all swole and won't bend right. I can play okay, I guess, but definitely hurts to dig in, especially to play the B. Gonna tape it up good and see if I can't hit that stride between drunk enough not to feel it and not drunk enough to embarrass the band.

Any of you basstards ever had to tape a joint to get up and pluck? How'd it go?

SLO Surfer and bassbully like this.
  2. I broke my left hand thumb a few years ago. After convincing the doc to only give me a "partial" cast so I could still retain full usage of my fingers, I was able to play a few shorter (60min) gigs. You'll probably end up doing some kind of natural compensation and adjusting your technique but you'll be fiiiiiiiiine :-D

dtsamples likes this.
  3. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Next man up! get in there, RH ring

Lesgo, Gravedigger Dav and leurw like this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Play with a pick?
    I've played with banged up hands before. Usually get through the gig just fine... but shortly after (anywhere from a few minutes to the next morning), ya know you did something stupid :)

Matthew_84, Mechanical and dtsamples like this.
  5. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    BL has previously expressed his preference for finger style playing for his project. Thinking it's gonna be one of those damage self for the good of the hive nights.

Edited to not be so douchey about it^^ maybe still not enough. Just trying to give my reasoning for not wanting to go to the pick in this instance.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I'm broken enough to know that if I am injured, give it time to heal instead of making it worse.

Of course I learned that the hard way from my last injury that took 8 months to heal because I wouldn't properly rest for 8 weeks.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I woudn't be drinking. You can do something stupid and really hurt it. Play with just index finger, index and ring, or pick. Simplify the lines if necessary. I've been there.

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Yup dislocated middle finger second knuckle setting up mains at a show years ago played the next 3 shows with it taped.

Ps:still lovin the L2500 :)

dtsamples likes this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I'd be prepared to take it easy for a while after that gig. I have extended my injuries for weeks in the past by attempting to "push through." Hands just take time.

two fingers and dtsamples like this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Ice is for swelling. See if it helps.

rocu, MHT75 and dtsamples like this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You can probably soldier on through the gig but I would give your BL a heads up about the injury and make sure he's happy with you turning up at less than full ability.

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I would play with the pick. Who cares who the BL used to play with?

13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Ibuprofen and scotch. Sorry Dude. Hope it's as ok as can be. - Jameson played with one finger....

NigelD and backin82 like this.
  14. Those cooling Pain-Relief sprays are magic. Reduces the pain AND inflammation, keeps fingers/arms fully functioning. I use a Menthol one in an aerosol can.... no greasy residue, takes 2 seconds to apply.

For a more fingerstyle-sound...
    Spin the pick and use the blunt corner. Keep it short and let the side of your thumb strike the string too

15. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll run through the songs today with a pick and see if I'm dexterous enough. I'm sure you're right and he won't mind and won't want me to get hurt.

FantasticFour likes this.
  16. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Second this. Just take 3-4 ibuprofen beforehand. You'll be fine.

digmeout, HolmeBass and dtsamples like this.
  17. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Hadn't heard of this! Thanks for the tip!

Groove Doctor likes this.
  18. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    My doctor says marijuana for pain. OK, he's not really a doctor just a drummer.

DirtDog, backin82, CaseyJ and 17 others like this.
  19. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    It's a monster!

20. Make sure you take the ibuprofen with food at the same time, anything solid is fine. It reduces the chance of gastric issues.