1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octaver / Pitchshifter idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Art288, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Hey all,

Myself and a guitarist just split from our previous band, and we're looking to get a power trio happening. The problem is that a lot of the music requires two guitar parts.

We had another guitarist in the band, but he wasn't a very strong player.

My idea has been for a while to duplicate my bass lines an octave higher, and put distortion on the shifted output only, then combine the two signals and bypass as I need to.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so, how it worked out for you.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, and there are a variety of ways to go about it. The most straightforward is the (discontinued, but still findable used) Akai Unibass pedal. All analog octave-up pedals are also distortions, in that they use a type of distortion to create the octave-up tone. And if you search on "blender", you'll find the method most of us use to create split and layered sounds such as you describe.

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    The VB99 is very good for that.
    On a couple of songs I split my bass as the lower three strings as a bass sound and the upper two a guitar.
    Or you can put the two sounds together.

Very flexible tool.