1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Elrick Club Thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Majestic, Mar 1, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Here's a very early example of Rob's work, back when he only made 6 strings:

[​IMG]

This was made before the days of his fancy electronics covers, it sported a haggardly cut piece of black plastic on the back.

It was built circa 1996, and I sold it in 2002. The neck was insanely wide, I think the string spacing at the bridge was 20mm.

2. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    That bass is amazing, right along with all of the others.

3. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Yeah, definitely a pretty bass, but the ergonomics left a lot to be desired. I wonder where it is now.

I found a picture of the electronics cover:

[​IMG]

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah- I almost never play seated, so I never even thought of that one.

5. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    It is kind of interesting how luthiers are constantly perfecting their work.

6. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Do you guys prefer the maple necked basses or the wenge necked ones?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've owned eight now made between 1999 and 2007, and Rob's work has gotten better and better. Not to say that earlier work of his is flawed or anything- my singlecut 5 is a 2003 and it's still my favorite bass I've ever played.

8. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash

That red one is a weird one. I know Rob has only done a handful of painted finishes. The singlecut 5 with the dots is also unique. Very nice!

9. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    i am ordering one as soon as i get back from my honeymoon!!!

i can't wait.:hyper::hyper:

10. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'm not going to lie, I miss that Evolution to death. Good to hear you're enjoying it. I think I'll probably wind up with another as soon as I can scrape up the cash.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The trans red one was actually a very nice, snappy bass. 34" too. Got it as a Christmas present from my wife one year, and sold the next Christmas to help pay for a big screen TV for her after she was injured and couldn't go out to the movies anymore (one of her favorite pastimes).

The fretless with the top dots was one of his first fretlesses. I had a narrower neck than most of his do, and it was thinenr as well. A bit too thin for my liking, as I get a lot of abrupt temperature and humidity changes where I live, and I had to adjust the neck on it more often. It originally came with matching Aero pickups, which I switched out for Barts. Sounded great after I did.

12. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    So, do you prefer the Bart's to the Aero's? I was actually leaning their direction in mine.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I definitely prefer the Barts, but I've always preferred them for most of my basses.

14. Hi All,

I'm sure this is an "unwanted cousin" reference, but... I always feel like I've got a distant taste of the Elrick world playing my cort copy. Love my JP5.

--p

15. Wenge all the way

16. nalapit13

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    this thread is making my G.A.S. act up.... i am calling bass specialties tomorrow and get the ball rolling on my elrick single cut. i can't wait :hyper:

17. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    For those who would like to hook up with Rob Elrick on myspace, you'll find him in my 'top friends'. :cool::)

M. M.

18. My bass has an "e" on it. Does this qualify me to be a member of the Elrick Club?

Picture001.

19. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !

OMG! want your money back on it????

I'm an Elrick fan and I have a MIK "Cortrick" but I think this bass is a very unique one for sure.

20. nalapit13

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    just got off the phone with bass specialties in bensalem pa. i just ordered my elrick evolution single cut:hyper::hyper:

burled buckeye full face top. birdseye maple neck. four string.

i can't stop drooling.

estimated time of arrival is 16 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.