1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    Quilter Bass Block 800!
    Let's start the love!
    Sold my beloved Mesa 400 & D-180 to get this little fellow and.... no regrets! I just can't get over how small it is! It almost screams to be put on a pedal board.

Everything I need, and not much else. 1480985733930705998942.

2. I don't have a bass block, but I have a Quilter:

iAA5AUtBAxOCyOf2jfAHK8Av-GUStY8RAIoXjxVSwvP304mtxW6s-Xfz1TBbmw6A6-3LyWXBQQwj0sh2iP=w1713-h964-no.

brotondo likes this.
  3. PDavis

PDavis

Apr 21, 2015
    Just got a Bass Block. With the right cab... its a monster...

ChanceC5 and brotondo like this.
  4. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    My Bass Block arrived Friday. So far, I've used it with a Genz Benz 1x8 for a small-room singalong but I get to test drive it in a bar band setting tomorrow night with a Markbass 1x12 NYC cab quilter. .

brotondo likes this.
  5. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    I have a chance tonight to A/B mine against a vintage SVT through the matching 8x10. Should be interesting

6. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I've been eyeballing one for a bit.

I wish it had some more heft.

Maybe I could build a big case for it.

7. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    I'm entertaining the idea of putting it on my pedal board, I could make a really nice protective cage . A Source Audio SoundBlox Pro pedal has about the same size footprint.

Edit; dusty floor/environment is what's stopping that idea though .

8. And?? What's the verdict?

9. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Last nights gig

Attached Files:

lo-freq and brotondo like this.
  10. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Nice. I'm a big fan of the Bass Array cabinets. I bet that sounds good. What does the Demeter add ?

11. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    The Demeter is as a preamp only going into the input of the Quilter. That way you can still use the gain and master of the Quilter. The sounds is huge.

HolmeBass and brotondo like this.
  12. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI

Verdict is: BB800 wins in my book, weight category being biggest difference.
    Tonally, SVT is obviously no slouch, but BB800 easily dialed in many beautiful, usable tones. Sealed 810 is really detrimental to the SVT tone, and is very noticeable with the BB800 ( Mesa 15's are my only comparison as of yet).
    BB800 went as loud to my ears as the Svt, so it definitely doesn't lack power.
    And then there's the 80 lbs difference! BB800 wins

13. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Are you using it for the extra EQ or to thicken up the sound maybe? I was under the impression that the Demeter is warm and clean like the BB800 so I wondered what "extra sauce" that it brought to the party.

14. I need to try one of these soon. Not saying it's going to replace my SVTs but I'm a fan of the concept ... and of new toys!

brotondo likes this.
  15. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    it was an experiment mainly for the eq. The combo makes the BB800 a bit more lethal sounding. Both amps on their own stand out but the Quilter has something to it. I am still experimenting.

kasbrey and brotondo like this.
  16. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Let me know what you think when you just run the BB800 without an external preamp. My SVT 3pro recently died and I'm looking at either picking up a PF800 or a BB800.

Ive always been a huge Ampeg fan which is why I'm looking at the PF800 (that and the 800 hasn't had any issues yet) but I've also had a number of QSC power amps over the years and know that QSC is quality stuff.

17. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    The BB800 is great on its own and really doesn't need a preamp. Great heft to the tone and highly recommended.

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    I am so close to pulling the trigger on a BB800 to go with my two Barefaced One10 cabs. I am currently using a GK MB500 and MB800, but I have grown weary of the baked-in "GK" sound.

Ive heard the the Quilter is a lot more "Tibet" in its presentation and it also is very quick and punchy. I am having to use a BDDI to get the punchy old school tone I like along with a compressor. I'm looking to be able to eliminate both of these if the Quilter can achieve that sound.

All comments, observations and questions welcome! Thanks!

19. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    "Tubey" not "Tibet" stoopid Spellcheck

Flaky Tuna and fclefgeoff like this.
  20. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I read your post and I got this wild pic in my mind of a Tibetan Monk standing on the top of a mountain jamming out with his bass.

Personally I do not find the need for a compressor but you would have to try to see for yourself. As far as "tubey" goes I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between several of the modern class D amps versus clean tube amps.