1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh My! CME exclusive shell pink Squier Bronco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nasonm, Aug 1, 2020.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Parchment?

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oooh! And that particular one has the special feature of having the E/A saddle tilted the wrong way, playing hell with the intonation on a bass that is already problematic for intonation. Sweet.

But being serious...that looks nice. Wish the neck was gloss finished, though.

P.S. Needs single ply black clear coated Bakelite guard, and an open coil (i.e. 1st or 2nd generation Precision style) pickup.

Suhr_Classic_T_Limited_Edition_Paulownia_Trans_Shell_Pink_DG4232_5__72798.1594844310.jpg

P.S. Ordered one. 200 bucks? Yes, please. Already have all the upgrade parts except the Bakelite guard. 1/4 Lb. Duncan '51 P pickup, tuners off of one of my Mustang PJs. Even have a spare hard case and new strings for it. Will probably gloss coat the neck. The necks on these have nothing but a super thin matte sealer, which I can spray some clear right over. Or maybe TruOil.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Oddly and Hank Scorpio like this.
  3. CenTexThumper

CenTexThumper Old Timer Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    Oh hell no!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Geez, I guess I'd better buy a Mustang ASAP!

5. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
  6. PRS-Man23

PRS-Man23 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Fingers crossed the do a P bass in this color....

Marc61 likes this.
  7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    You may some weird hang-ups, man

8. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    yep, am tired of the p/j set ups and non string thru bridges on the mustangs

Rabidhamster and zie like this.
  9. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    They are 3, 5, and 7. I believe in them!

Texican, primussucks9126 and zie like this.
  10. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Mint tort

11. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Good catch!

This is actually caused by the notches in the saddles being in the wrong places. There is NO WAY to fix this with a setup. The only way to make this right is to replace the saddles (or the entire bridge if you can't find separate saddles that aren't faulty like these ones).

There seems to be an entire batch of these faulty Bronco saddles around. I purchased a (regular red) Bronco from Thomann in September 2019 and it was utterly useless because it had these saddles. The spacing between A-D was MUCH wider than between E-A or D-G.

I kept the bass only because I happened to have a spare Bronco bass bridge (and later I ended up replacing it with a different bridge altogether to be able to intonate it properly).

DO NOT BUY THIS BASS unless you intend to replace the bridge (or at least the saddles if you can find them sold separately). Of course, even flawless Bronco saddles can't be intonated properly so lots of people replace the bridge on Broncos. If that's the plan then sure, go ahead. But DO NOT buy this bass if you intend to keep the stock saddles/bridge. It is faulty.

EDIT: I made Thomann aware of the problem at the time and they promised to look into it. I also posted a thread here on talkbass to warn people about it. I'm shocked to see these saddles still being used almost a year later. I'm pretty sure Fender must know about this.

Yahboy and zie like this.
  12. Love shell pink.
    15963794112015083699622857291053.jpg

zie likes this.
  13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Here's a pic of a faulty saddle from the Bronco I mentioned in my previous post, compared to a flawless Bronco saddle with the correct spacing. It may not look like a huge difference but it causes the string spacing to be WAY off.
    bronco bridge.jpg

EDIT: Sorry about the poor quality pic, I couldn't find the full size image. But zoom in and you'll see what I'm talking about.

zie likes this.
  14. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    It's grown on me for whatever that's worth.

All the same, this I believe: Shell pink bodies must have matching headstocks.

15. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Mint green ;)

zie likes this.
  16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I move that all pics of shell pink instruments must have a non-white background.

17. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    That or desert sand.

PRS-Man23 likes this.
  18. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Snagged one. I'll give it to my daughter. She'll (see what I did there?) love it.

19. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    I've got the shell pink Mustang PJ - as usual, pictures don't capture just how pink these basses are. I absolutely love the color and I know the squire will look great.

Don't hesitate about the color!

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  20. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    There are probably lots of people likeng it, but, sorry, i don't like it, neither the color, the design and pickup, the bridge, too.