1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

oh, the horror - ramones for kids

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcake, Apr 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez

from wikipedia
    Brats on the Beat: Ramones for Kids is a 2006 Ramones cover album, featuring 'kiddified' covers of classic Ramones songs. Songs are performed by members of various punk rock bands. The album was created in order to offer adults an alternative way to introduce children to music, specifically punk rock, through kid friendly Ramones songs that adults can also enjoy.

Brats on the Beat: Ramones for Kids - Wikipedia

who thought this was a good idea????

2. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Oh, maybe you're not aware of the 2006 collaboration between Devo and . . . Disney? . . . that resulted in Devo 2.0. I think it may be one of the more subversive things they've done. Bwa ha ha.

3. This explains why there were kids in my college classes wearing Ramones t-shirts, but didn't know who any of the members of the band were :bored:
    Sames goes for Misfits Ts.

PWRL, murphy, themarshall and 14 others like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i wasn't aware of it, and since i was a big devo fan - how could this have happened?????

btw, i read that at some point there was a planned B-52s saturday morning cartoon.

i ran into guys wearing ramones shirts they bought at target. i know this because i'd day something about the ramones and they'd tell me they weren't familiar with them - they just bought the shirts at target.

murphy, Spectrum, lostreality and 2 others like this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Probably, the same people that brought us 'South Park'...

... although the RUSH tribute was cool.

Spectrum, smogg, TinIndian and 3 others like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My girls are 5 and 7. I listen to KidzBop all the time. That's album after album of tweens doing cleaned up covers of whatever the Top 40 is these days. So it doesn't surprise me that this would happen too.

Are punk fans not mating and producing offspring? Let 'em bring their kids up on what they like.

Besides, most all of the male children their ages are already punks to begin with. :cool:

Seriously, whenever we have a gathering of their peers at my house, it's all can can to to stop myself from drop kicking the little boys into next week. Seems like they're ALL little a holes. :wideyed: I feel like if I had been such a little jerk my father would have taken me out and tried again with one that wasn't broken.

PillO, murphy, Spectrum and 7 others like this.
  7. There was a young guy in my CAD class that had a Ramones shirt on one day & I said, "That's why I thought I'd seen you before, because you look just like Joey." (pointing at his shirt)
    The dude is a dead ringer for Joey, tall, lean. Maybe I should have checked if his name is Hyman.
    Anyway, he just looked at me with a puzzled look, so I pointed out the name Joey right on his shirt, it's in the freakin' logo!
    Nope, not a clue, just thought it looked cool!

It's odd, I get the most comments on my Ramones shirt, except for right after Lemmy died, because everyone commented about his recent passing when I wore my Motörhead shirts.
    The Ramones comments are usually from college-age young ladies.

The Misfits logo was even wider mis-used, but I think Glenn nicked that from someplace anyway.

Mr_Moo, murphy and Plucky The Bassist like this.
  8. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I always bring up Bob 1 when there's a discussion of underrated guitarists. And I'm serious when I do.

Speaking of cartoons, there's always this.

ba55i5t, GregC, Spectrum and 4 others like this.
  9. Oh man, Fred & Kate would have been the bomb on a B-52 cartoon. I'd be laughing just listening to their caricature voices.

Ductapeman likes this.
  10. Targeting kids with rock bands has been going on since the 1960's

Beatles. Beatles2.

GregC, TinIndian, Pdaddy1978 and 4 others like this.
  11. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Well you may as well just listen to the Ramones...

If you want something different & Ramones, this is for babies:

12. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Welcome to getting older. Kids in high school now, weren't even born when 9/11 happened. To them, 1976 May as well be 1876. The Ramones are what their grandparents listened to! Just today while shopping at a supper market, the overhead Muzak played the Cars, R E M and the Cure. Granted, not Ramones level outrage, but Holy Guacamole Batman. With the collapse of the record/ 8-Track/ cassette/ CD industry, bands (or in the case of the Ramones, surviving family members) look for other revenue streams. Sold out has become as passe as punk.

Mr_Moo, AndyLES, GregC and 5 others like this.
  13. As my son told me a number of years ago about bands going "commercial"
    It's not selling out, you're buying in.
    ...well, alrighty then.

14. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Let's not forget Kiss, whom besides having action dolls, even had a comic book out..

15. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I remember being introduced to the Ramones in the 1979 classic

pie_man_25, 2goody!, zontar and 4 others like this.
  16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I thought this thread was going to be about Green Day.

17. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    As far as I'm concerned, even child-focused versions of the Ramones beat most any pop music made today.
    Of course it's nowhere near the power of the original but maybe, just maybe, it'll prompt kids (or their parents) to go listen to the originals.
    That's gotta be worth something.

And @zontar I love this...currently in bed with a flared-up back injury, painkilkers and anti-imflammatories taken, thiz just fits my mood perfectly!

18. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    And they used their own blood in the ink!

JGbassman likes this.
  19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Whenever I put on a band shirt, I make sure I know some vital band stats in case someone asks me about it.

ba55i5t, Felken, Leiria and 3 others like this.
  20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    If it gets kids listening to rock then I am ok with it!