oh yeah Geddy doing his thing again

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rtslinger, Oct 6, 2022.

1. bassGtar

bassGtar Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    CT
    I can’t believe anybody still wants to listen to that. And in fact, it looks like not many in the audience do.

SLO Surfer, Brich, Sir Nose and 3 others like this.
  2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Huh. Looks to me like they're pretty into it, and it's a pretty young crowd at that. Amazing the staying power of a 40+ year old rock instrumental!

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    My personal opinion, they shouldn't be out doing Rush stuff. They have solo stuff and other projects. I just think it's disrespecting Neil's memory. I know bands go on after people leave or die, but they've always said Rush is the 3 of them. I have little interest in any "new Rush" music. New projects, sure.

Yes my opinion is maybe closed minded, but it is my opinion.

4. Meh...

I don't mind.

I'm guessing they were not appearing as "Rush" at that show.

Why should great songs die with regard to live performance because a member passes?

Plake, exidor, BrentSimons and 57 others like this.
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I don't completely disagree. I just don't want to see "Rush" live again.

teh-slb, roccobass and Salicete like this.
  6. WG Plum

WG Plum Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    It's great that no one will force you to!

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Yep. Again, just my opinions. Not trying to convince anyone, just sharing one persons point of view. I'm sure many will disagree. That's fine.

8. Agreed on "Rush" appearing, especially since, as was noted, they themselves have said repeatedly that without all three of them there is no Rush.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  9. The purpose of the show was to honor Taylor Hawkins by playing his favorite songs. Had Neil been alive, I'm sure he would have played.

10. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I get the attachment to Neil, and we’ll all recall the hundreds of time they said “it’s the three of us or nothing” but what are Geddy and Alex supposed to do, start over again working in bars? Just take 40 years of work and material and bin it?

I would not wish such a thing on any musician. This is the way forward for those guys, like it or not, and I expect some people won’t. I feel bad for anyone who steps into that drum slot, though. The “fans” will be merciless.

11. The way I see it, which would probably be the most logical and appropriate deduction, is that there won't be any new music from Geddy and Alex labelled as 'Rush'. They said that Rush was a three man team, they aren't disrespecting Neil by playing their old songs live. If anything, they honour his legacy in doing so. Let's not forget, both Geddy and Alex were hungry to continue playing and it was Neil that had, on various occasions over the years, voiced his reluctance for a number of reasons.

12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I really doubt that Geddy and Alex would have to "start over again working in bars." :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure they have some credit after 40 years.
    I doubt that they would do "Rush" with a new drummer. They may do something different with new drummer.

leftybass54 likes this.
  13. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They were asked by Dave (and possibly) others to play to honor Taylor because Taylor was a huge Rush fan, and Geddy and Alex played with them once even while Neil was still alive. Knowing the feeling of losing a bandmate, and drummer, they obliged. Dont think they will be playing a residency in Vegas or anything doing Rush songs.

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If one of my bands (we played in obscurity in bars for a few years) had kept at it for 40 years, and the drummer died, nobody would be running around saying "you shouldn't play your music anymore". However....somehow, if you get famous doing your music, and millions of people like your stuff, you've signed up to some bizzarre death cult pact where you can't do that? That's silly.

If you don't want to attend the concert, you're free to do that, but saying that an artist can't perform their work that they've created over their whole life anymore is stupid.

15. KenD

KenD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    Disagree. They don't start over at square one because one member passed. They "start over" in new directions with new collaborations from a very high "starting" point.

MonetBass, Zbudah, PeteOlig and 2 others like this.
  16. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Not to go off in another direction or anything but its the same when someone leaves a band...when its a big famous band, its almost like "how could they leave and break up the magic??". In a bar band its like "run a craigslist ad".

17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Respectfully, I don’t think your band is on the same level as Rush was. I think a few people here are going a little over the top with responses. Starting over. Death cult. That’s silly. And yes, I can chose to not go to a concert or buy recordings. I get it.

roccobass and MHensleyJr like this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Crowd was lively.
    upload_2022-10-6_16-16-27.png

19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, I mean there’s only like 108,000 people there.