1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

old noob looking for cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marqueemoon, Oct 8, 2019.

1. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    Hey, everybody. It's been a really long time since I've been in the market for a bass rig, but after borrowing stuff for a while I think it's time to take the plunge again.

I've already picked the head. After trying a bunch of mid to budget priced Class D things I went back to my first love and bought a GK 400RB. I play a P Bass with rounds. It's high time I changed them, but I tend to like em' pretty dead. I also run an "always on" compressor.

I play in a three piece (guitar/bass/drums) indie rawk band with a pretty average hitting drummer. The guitar player uses a Fender Vibrolux (2x10, 35ish watts). Stage volumes are pretty modest and the venues we play tend to be on the smaller side. Usually I'll get a DI at the clubs, so the cab is mainly about stage monitoring and adding some tonal sauce.

Hoping to find something smaller/lighter than the Carvin 4x10 I've been borrowing that can still get the job done.
    • small, but not comically so
    • light-ish (let's say under 60 pounds)
    • front ported (my practice space is tiny so chances are it will be slammed up against a wall)
    • more on the old school sounding end of the spectrum. I like midrange :)
    • not too expensive - I'd like to keep it around $500 used
    • understated looking (not glaringly modern or trying too hard to look retro)
    • efficient. It would be great to be able to run it with my old 50W Bassman head for certain situations.
    Of the things I've tried so far a Bag End D12-D has been my favorite sound-wise, but it would be nice if it were like 20 pounds lighter. I'm not opposed to high frequency drivers, but I tend to keep them low or completely off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

chupacerveza and Chickenwheels like this.
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Check out the GK Neo 212-II cab. It's 50 pounds and I just saw one used on Reverb for $480. It's a great sounding cab, in my opinion. It's pretty flat and you can introduce any coloration you want just by nudging your EQ. It's probably a good go-to for someone looking to ditch a 410, too. GK says it'll handle 800w.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. My 112 Fender Rumble cab is amazing. I use it with a 500 watt head. I think I got mine new for $300. Sounds incredible and you can carry it with one hand!

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Check out: RS115 | RevSound Stack two of them for a 4 ohm vertical stack.

Dave, the builder, has his cell number posted on the website. You can call and chat him up.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    @Spirit of Ox posted:
    Which model is this? I have three GK 400rb heads. One is a 1989 model, one is a 1998 and the other is a 2003.

The 98 has the fan mod and thermal circuit bypass to keep it from going into protection mode and my 03 is stock and needs that mod since it shuts off after 2 hours of hard 4ohm load playing.

GKs are great amps. Just the 400rb III needs a mod to keep it from protection mode. I personally like the second gen the best. They will heat up but won't shut down and the overdrive a bit nicer and warmer.

6. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    Circa 1988 I believe (power cable isn't hardwired). I think that's second gen? It has a big ol' heatsink but no fan.
    [​IMG]

7. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Mesa Subway 115 is a killer cab... (get 2 of them) ;)

There are some in the classifieds...

8. Recent thread says perfectly functional 210 cabs are hard to even give away. Happy days for you if you can wait until something pops up in your neck of the woods

chupacerveza likes this.
  9. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    I saw that thread. Yeah, I'd take that if it was local to me. Haha.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, everyone.

chupacerveza likes this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Before you swap your cab for a smaller one, please check how much headroom you have left.
    If I remember correctly, the 400rb has only 200 Watts, which is not a lot when you're looking to downsize your rig.
    Going from a 410 with 4 ohms to a 112 with 8 ohms will most likely cost you half your volume.

When you want to go small, light and loud, you will need to use a lot of juice from the amp.
    When you want to get away with low wattage, you will need to bring a lot of speaker surface.

So instead of a smaller cabinet, you could consider building a vertical 210+210 stack.
    That way, your cab is split in two and you have the possibility to bring only half of the rig.
    Two 210s are way easier to transport than one 410.

MVE, smogg, Jim Carr and 1 other person like this.
  11. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Aguilar SL 112. SL stands for super light. They have neodymium magnets. they are unbelievably light weight and I think they sound great. I just saw one on reverb
    Aguilar Super Light 1x12 Bass Speaker Cabinet
    Reverb

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass

13. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    A GK cab will match a GK head well. Not crazy expensive either, and the Neos are super light. 212 Neo will give you more booty, 115 is more mid focused but very articulate. You can dial the horn up or down and you can also utilise the GK bi-amp system to separate the signal for the driver and the horn. 412 will obviously give you more of everything but is a little heavier

smogg likes this.
  14. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    It sounds like you are in the same situation, I'm in. I play in a 3 piece rock band, average hitting drummer, guitarist uses a Roland Jazz chorus 2x12 combo. I've been using my two older 400s and my cabs are both Flite, a smaller company out of CT that makes lightweight cabs. I have a 15 and a 1x10 with 5" driver and tweeter.
    This set up paired with a Jazz bass really cuts through, almost to much.
    I decided to just use the 15 since I play smaller clubs and that alone is more than enough.

Deitz and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. marqueemoon

marqueemoon

Oct 8, 2019
    This is a good point. I’m pretty sure the borrowed 4x10 is 8 ohm, but I will confirm. No idea about the 4x10’s efficiency specs, but I’m definitely a little wary about scaling back too much driver-wise.

16. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
  17. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  18. RTCnME

RTCnME

Jul 19, 2017
    I use 2 Hartke HyDrive 2x10's (now stacking vertically!) and play in an indie rock trio also. I can almost always get away with one of the cabs but like the flexibility of having a second depending on where we might be playing as often the house sound systems can vary from none to marginal.

mikewalker and Deitz like this.
  19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Any good quality 212 or pair of 210s (stacked in a vertical array) will do the job. The Mesa PH115 is nice, too. Two if them would be great, but I'm not sure you have enough juice in the amp head to make them sing, lol.

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Welcome to Talkbass!!!

Also, please check out some of the newer stuff from Barefaced, AudioKinesis, Revsound, Greenboy, etc. They come up used around here now and then, and even though they are much flatter in response than what you are asking about, they can reproduce anything you throw at them, and have amazing midrange.

I find I can dial-in the low mid whomp of old school cabs, but can also get a much richer color, too, when I need it—which has turned out to be useful, even in a simple 4 or 5 piece blues/funk band.

Reggae and Gospel on active 5-strings also love these newer designs.