On going AWOL

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by twinjet, Sep 4, 2018.

1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey gang,

Apparently someone missed me around here -- you're sweet, @armyadarkness -- and so I decided this justifies a thread explaining my absence (like I'm that important :rolleyes:).

I've been busy getting my groove on playing seven gigs in five cities with six different groups over the past two weeks. Lots of travel time... and booze. While certainly not a lot by most folks' standards, it was a lot for me as it involved cross-country flying to Nashville, Tennessee and a hell of a lot of driving by Alaskan standards.

I recently did a super cool gig playing a brew cruise out of Seward, AK, with a band I've worked with for a year now, Blackwater Railroad Company.

This is a cool video I found that was recorded over the weekend. It's a bit of a sneak peek at what I've been up to. I'm behind by at least eight gig reports, so vlogs will soon be a thing because the idea of writing all this on a teensy Galaxy S7 phone is stressful!

In the video, we're blasting through strong waves and a speaker situated behind my pedal steel player and within arm's reach of myself. After a jolt, the speaker falls forward, nearly colliding with his head. I grab it and get right back into the groove.

I'll post more when the gig video is done. Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Wisebass, metron, kesslari and 45 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    That's what I call multitasking...

... great job, @twinjet! Sounded great, too! Watching the fiddler was half the entertainment value!

3. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    This is awesome! Holding it down alright.

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'
    Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya
    At seven pm a main hatchway caved in, he said
    Fellas, it's been good t'know ya

BigDanT, Mr_Moo, Robert B and 6 others like this.
  4. Oh very cool!
    Playing bass one handed while holding up the speaker at the same time.
    That gets you into the Big Burly Bassman Hall of Fame.:smug:

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Arrr matey!

The baddest bassman on the seven seas! Let that be a lesson to you land lubbers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Wisebass, kesslari, fretter and 9 others like this.
  6. Now you know if a gator came and took of your right hand you will be able to finish the set. :thumbsup:

7. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Nichole lights all of us on fire!
    Great! What do I win?
    I wouldn't say baddest, but I guess I left the band manager floored. So that's worth it. :D
    You know, I regularly think about what would happen to my playing if I lost limbs. I am less fearful now.

8. BBB.png

Wisebass, Haroldo, Mktrat and 9 others like this.
  9. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    His favorite note to play...the C of course! I've never seen anything quite like that! Well done!

Mr_Moo, BassCliff and twinjet like this.
  10. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  11. Well hey! One handed bass is a rare talent. :roflmao:
    me.png

12. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Nice going @twinjet!

By the way, "Atlantic City" is one of my favorite tunes in our set list. :thumbsup:

twinjet likes this.
  13. Wow, well done!

To be honest, I'm just a little shocked that no one from the audience stepped up to help out. I mean, the problem was kind of obvious...

kartiste and Mr_Moo like this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Livin' the dream, baby. Livin' the dream. It's too late to stop now.

twinjet likes this.
  15. Well played there! What made me giggle is that someone came forward to give Nicole her hat back but no-one came to your rescue. If I was on the cruise I'd be up there playing the right hand for you so you didn't miss so many of the notes and could still hold the speaker stand up!

Mr_Moo and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  16. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Someone did eventually step up to the plate and held the speaker down, but I wasn't sure how much they had to drink so I held on.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. Ah I wondered who that was behind the speaker but they didn't seem to be doing much. Still I am available for right hand work if needed. Left not so good on but I'm okay with the finger stuff on the right.

Post some more vids soon please.

twinjet likes this.
  18. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Band sounds great. You did an awesome job.

twinjet likes this.
  19. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Nice job holding everything down... band sounded good too!!! Fiddle player looked into it :thumbsup:
    I play with a steel player that looks alot like that dude... go figure.

20. Nice job!

twinjet likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021