1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

On the floor or on a stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassNoobTX, Dec 9, 2019.

1. BassNoobTX

BassNoobTX

Feb 13, 2016
    Since not everyone are rocking 4/6/8x10 what do you do with the 1x15 / 2x10 and 2x12 cabs?
    Leave them on the floor to hit hour ankles? Tilt them like monitors? Put them on a chair/table/designated stand?

pictures will be highly appreciated for demonstration if you have a special way to do it :)

2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    I use a small wedge I made out of wood and covered with vinyl. I don't have a picture but it basically tilts the cab back about 25 degrees. It's not as good as an amp stand but it works.

instrumentalist and Bboopbennie like this.
  3. View attachment 3546642

Made from very heavy double laminate corrugate as found in box ex USA. Not so common here. If it had a slather of duct tape it would last a good long time.

DJ Bebop and delta7fred like this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    rig.jpg

Two 1x12's stacked on a custom riser.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Same here, except I just sprayed it with black paint. I think it's better than an amp stand myself...it fits in my cord bag :D

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

What you should do depend upon the sound you want, and how you use your amp. I like a clear articulate sound and my amp usually serves only as my stage monitor. Because of this I typically elevate my cab to about waist level by stacking it vertically on top of a flight case or an amp rack. I also wedge a spare DI under the front edge of the cab so it tilts back to aim at my ears.

In the event I don't have adequate PA support and my amp needs to push the room, I may put the amp on the floor. The decision is based on how boomy the room is. Elevating the cab reduce lows which can help with the boom factor.

Zbysek, Velobass, gelinas666 and 4 others like this.
  7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use an amp stand with my 115, a milk crate ( sorry Jimmy ) for my 212.

DJ Bebop, HolmeBass and Element Zero like this.
  8. I use the folding wedge Stumbo mentioned for a Rumble 100. It was like 20 bucks and super compact. It folds up and slips into my shoulder bag. I really like it; seems to do the trick by pointing the sound up, and also decoupling the boomy bass from the floor.
    EDEE2FBA-4E35-48B0-8FEE-369BFBF1D647.jpeg 96D06BA2-8D1C-4E37-B14A-EB67512ADC48.jpeg

Stumbo and bhendrix like this.
  9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I just use a smallish cab with good enough dispersion that IME it doesn't really matter. I keep it on the floor like in the shot below.

It actually has a wedge back that I could use if I ever felt it necessary. I haven't.

IMG_20190428_171608710.jpg

Zbysek and Clark W like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I use an On-Stage RS7500 tilt-back tripod for my 2x10. (My SO has one for her ‘65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.) Can handle up to 100 lbs. Folds down for easy transport. And it has a threaded end to attach a boom arm in case you want to mic your cab - which is great if you’re recording. Around $35 most places. Highly recommended.

pcake likes this.
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I install casters on all my larger cabs, and have stands for my smaller combos and cabs.

12. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I would tilt mine back, but the head would fall off....

13. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Back when I was still rolling with 410+118 setups, my 118's were all on casters.

Davbassdude, pcake and Element Zero like this.
  14. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I use a collapsible monitor table - puts the cabinets up about 2 feet.

BooDoggie likes this.
  15. I have never been a bass cab stand person. The bass amp/cab is supposed to resonate with the floor. Years ago I played at a church and sat my hartke 1415 combo in a chair. It did not have the big bass sound. Then I sat it in the floor wala !! Nice big sound. BUT, at the dive I play at now, I have to put a wedge under the front of the cab because it resonates too much and it is boomy. Especially when I play my P bass. The wedge 'breaks' the resonance some.

Zbysek, LowActionHero and Ggaa like this.
  16. Ampeg 210AV on a milk crate, or whatever the sound guy/gal tells me to do.

Speaking of stands, I'm REALLY bugged by this:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.31.47 AM.png
    That ES is just asking to have its neck snapped.

17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yup! Guitarists; what are you going to do. Notice you don't see my bass just lying around unprotected.

LowActionHero, dalkowski and Giffro like this.
  18. depends if there is a hollow stage on the floor, if a solid floor no carpeting on a stand if using a one cabinet 2*10

if I use the 2*10 and the 1*12 in combination on the floor or on a Dolley like this one

upload_2019-12-10_9-39-6.png

Stumbo, Tom Baker and HardNHeavy like this.
  19. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    The only cabinet that I would put on the floor would be an 8x10. Every other cabinet (including a 2x15) went on some sort of stand or chair to get it off the floor. YMMV but the places I've played always seemed to have some sort of harmonic resonance only seemed to go away when the cab was disconnected from the floor. FWIW - I always have a 12" collapsable step stool as part of my kit just for that purpose + it gets the sound closer to the ear.

20. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Robert B and DJ Bebop like this.