1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One bass to keep: Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tampabass, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Let's say that financial circumstances, or just a desire to simplify, led you to limiting yourself to just one bass.

Would you choose a 4, 5 or 6? Active or passive? Fretted or fretless? Body style?

Be as specific - with make, model, color, year of manufacture, place of manufacture, weight - as you'd like.

Just curious.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Fender! :)

AV62RI JAZZ

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Four string Fender jazz, passive pick ups. Why? It's what I've been using for some time and it's a bass that works for me in every situation I've been faced with thus far.

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    G&L L2500 Kmod

5. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Wouldn't have to be Fender, but probably something with passive jazz-type pickups. 4-string, fretted, maple board. On second thought, I might just add a jazz bridge p'up to go with the reverse-P in my Washburn Force 8 and call it a day.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Let's see. My Sadowsky NYC PJ5 w/ VTC. It's black, made in 00', and is a very versatile bass. I've got a few other really nice instruments, but this one usually gets the lion's share of the work these days.

If I was going to pick a 4 string, it would probably be a MIA P bass or an MIA G&L L2000/ASAT. Black & Maple.

7. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    that'd be the one I'd keep. maybe someday ... :bawl:

8. camiloochoa

camiloochoa

Nov 5, 2008
    NYC
    I did that two years ago, i sold everything i had (basses) and got a Sadowsky jazz 5 string, fretted, with alder body, rosewood fretboard, single coil pickups, i have the chance of playing it with the preamp on for a more modern sound or simply bypassing it for a more classic vibe, so it's a very versatile bass.

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    6 string
    active pre (3 or 4 band)
    soapbars (as there are so many replacements available in that size both single and dual coil) but I could start with Bassculture.de, Bartolini, or Nordstrand hums to start
    34" scale, 24 fret
    16.5 or 17mm spacing.
    bolt on or neck through, I don't care
    I like a ton of woods so basically anything would go in that regard

Either a W&T Chronos 6 or an Ibanez SR5006e would fit the bill for me off the shelf.

10. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Post-2008 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass... Four-string, sunburst, rosewood, flats, add thumbrest. Plug into an SVT, all set.

11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Of my basses, it would prolly be either my Roscoe SKB 3005 with Nordy DCs and Aggie preamp or my Roscoe Century 3005 with Barts and Demeter preamp. The split coils in these basses really add versatility. Plus they play great and are the lightest of my basses.

If I had to sell them all and buy just one, it would be a Sadowsky NYC in PJ5 with a VTC. I could go and do just about anything that I'd ever consider with that bass.

Or maybe a Sado Modern 24-5.

dcr

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I only own because I got a really good deal on it. It was still expensive, but it was less than Metro pricing for an NYC. The last few I saw in the classifieds went for roughly $1000-$1500 more than I paid for mine! That's a lot of money!!!

14. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    nice...

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I play my fours almost exclusively, but a five is just useful enough that if I were forced down to one, I'd go with a fiver. I'd want a high quality 34" scale J-type with noiseless pickups. An American Deluxe Fender Jazz V would probably fit the bill. Let's make it black/maple.

16. My '98 Fender Precision, it's my only bass so of course that is the only one I would choose :p

(It's a passive, fretted, four stringer)

17. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Definitely 5 string.

For me, it would be a toss-up between my L-2500 with K option, my Peavey Millennium Plus 5, and my Peavey B Quad 5.

The G&L is the most versatile and most likely to provide a good fit, no matter what gig comes along.

But, my Mill is the prettiest Peavey (and as pretty as any bass of any brand) I've ever seen (to ME, IN MY OPINION :D) and would be really hard to replace. And the B Quad 5 would be almost impossible to replace just because of how rare they are. And both Peaveys are just as "good" as the G&L, just not as "Swiss Army Knife" versatile as the G&L. I like the way the Mill plays, the best of them all.

18. osuok88

osuok88 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX - USA
    Get the Sadowsky P/J

19. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001

based on the criteria above-
    4 string, passive, fretted, Fender-esque...basically, a G&L SB2...black on black w/maple fretboard.

based on what I've already got-
    I'm thinking my Skjold fretted 5 string, active in natural finish would just barely edge out my Bongo 6HS fretless in Olive Gold/vintage pearl

20. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Funny, I just bought that exact bass today. Should have it next week. Can't wait! (But, I still believe I would keep my L-2500 over an SB2 - it does Passive and single coil, has tone adjustments, and has a B string, which I would definitely want in a One and Only)