Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One space rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashbory, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I'm looking for a one space rack case. Does anyone know where they can be found? Either a nylon bag type, or molded plastic will do.
    I would like to separate my (one space) pre-amp and (two space) power amp. With the combined weight in one case, I am worried one arm will become longer than the other.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Is the weight of the pre amp really so heavy as to justify the hassle of getting a 1U rack case?

3. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    The preamp is about 10 pounds, just enought to make the whole thing a little too much.
    I also like the idea of the modular approach, so I can just bring only the gear I need for a particular occasion.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've never seen one - you'd probably have to have one made.

i have two skb 2 space units, one contains my poweramp, and in the past (and in the future i hope) one contained a preamp. I used a 1.5u preamp in it, but i have also had a 1u preamp in the 2 space rack as well, and that's still pretty small and portable.

you can have one made if you want, but from experience i can say that the 2u rack was quite small and i never found myself wishing that it was even smaller.

5. I'd say get a 2U case. You can get a blank panel for now, and then there's one space for something else later (power conditioner, tuner, fancy lights, etc.)

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Good Luck! I was trying to find a 3 space rack for a while...my amp was 2 RU's and my Pre was 1 RU. No such animals exist. You could always build one...matter of fact...go into business building odd space rack cases! 1-3-5-7-9!!! you'd corner the market! :D

7. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I just won a 3-space off of Ebay. Look around there and you might find something.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know that 3 space racks are out there. Grundorf definitely makes them.

As for a one space rack, you could have one made, but if you do, it'd be made of mdf or ply and probably weigh much more than the item is was protecting seems a little silly to me.

We have our ways of doing things, but splitting up your rack rig seems like a really counter intuitive decision. Not only are you adding the weight, mass and expense of another case, but you are also giving up the convenience of having the rack with all the cables and connections intact.

The whole point of racking separates is to create a custom consolidated rig. Everything is wired up inside the rack and plugged into the power strip/conditioner. you just plug in the cab and DI, plug in the power line from the conditioner and you are good to go. If I had to splice a bunch of components together every time I played, I'd go nuts.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow...that's crazy that they make a 3 space rack! Color me dumb-founded! I agree with the point about a one space rack weighing almost as much as whatever you put in it. I have a grundorf 6-space rack...I believe it weighs about 20 lbs. empty! If you are looking into racks...Look into an SKB or Gator rack (plastic) with the wheels and suitcase like folding handle. It's pretty lightweight. I just picked up one (to replace the Grundorf). The wheels make toting my amp around a breeze! It rolls like those carry-on suitcases you see people with at the airport. My back really thanks me!

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'm not sure it's really worth splitting up the amp/preamp just for carrying purposes. Do you use more than one preamp or use the same poweramp for PA duty?

OTOH, I just bought a 3-space SKB X-Rack shallow rack case for a 2 space amp and put a blank vented panel up above it. Previously, I'd had a GK 700RB in a 2 space case and that was really handy.

Some amps really need a light to see the controls...that'd be a good use of the extra space above your preamp.

11. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Masher,
    Gator makes a 3 space rack, look here:
    GRB-3U

GR-3S

- They are 12 1/2" and 14 1/4" deep so it may not fit some bigger amps.

Chasarms,
    Yes it does seem unusual to not take advantage of having everything connected in the rack, but for me portability and flexibility are number one. For my setup its just one more patch cord and one more power cord.

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    While I know of companies that will make custom cases, I think you'll be better off getting two lightweight plastic SKB Roto-molded cases, and putting a ventilated or solid 1U filler panel in one. That way you could add a tuner later so that both arms stay the same length.

Preamps can be heavy. The Read Purity tipped my postal scale at 21 lbs.!!!

13. Get a 2 space and mount a decibal reader in there as well. You know, in case you can't tell if you're loud.

Ok fine it's just a huge bank of lights in 1U. But do it anyways.

14. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I put a Digilog Dynamicator from Funk Logic into an empty rack space on one rack. Heck, buy the Palindrometer for a 3 space rack and have the lightest rig in town!

BTW, I found it was easy to make an LED backlight for the Dynamicator's meter from an old wall wart and a couple of cheap parts.

15. You could get a one space from Anvil or Big Deal or any custom maker I'm sure.

16. I've got a 5 space rack - was easy to build too - only took me about 4 hours with a circular saw and a router.

[​IMG]

Or better still - instead of using those stretchy arms of yours, get youself a "hand-truck" or 'sack-trolley' or whatever you call them over there.

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Here's my 3 space Gator. They definately exist and they're definately common.
    [​IMG]

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have seen several 2-space and 3-space racks, but I've never seen a 1-space (though something in the back of mind tells me that MF once had a special that included a 1-space "fly weight" rack with some purchases).

Tom.

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX