1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One year later: 43 basses under my belt ... Yeah maybe a bit obsessed! (Long Post)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I just checked the receipt for the first bass I bought and it has been one year since I started playing the bass (although I was a drummer for many decades before that and I have no interest in ever playing the drums again).
    I did a quick tally and it looks like there have been 43instruments I have owned during that time (it's possible a couple may have slipped though the cracks):

Still own:

Aria Pro II Fretless 1981
    Dot On Shaft- BLSP
    Epi Thunderbird IV Reverse
    El Degas P-Bass 70s
    ESP B208FM (8-string)
    ESP EC254FM
    Fender Precision
    Fender P-special Deluxe Series
    Fender Precision Special (Cowpoke)
    Fender Squier Katana 1985
    Framus J-144 (09041) Sorento 4 1971
    Godin Freeway 4 Active (2007 Model)
    Goya (Matsumoku) 1977
    Ibanez 2353L Fretless 1971
    Ibanez Destroyer II (DT600) 1983
    Ibanez Roadstar II (RB Deluxe) 1985
    Ibanez Roadstar II (Standard) 1983
    Mann Rickenbacker 4001 copy 80s
    Northern SB3 Copy (Short Scale) 70s
    Peavey Dyna Bass 1986
    Peavey Foundation
    Peavey T-40 1984
    Schecter Stiletto Custom 4
    Tokai Jazz Sound 1985
    Univox Hi Flyer (U1801B) early 80s
    Vantage Standard II (Matusmoku) 1982
    Vantage VS600B (Matsumoku) 1981
    Vantage VS600B (Matsumoku) 1980
    Warmorth P-Bass (with-pheart neck)
    Warmorth J-Bass (with P-bass neck)

Sold:

EPI EB-0
    Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
    Jay Turser Beatle Bass
    Peavey Millennium AC BXP
    70s Japanese Metalic Green Jaguar Custom
    ESP C-304
    Cort Curbow 4
    Hofner contemporary Beatle bass
    Dot On Shaft Double Neck
    Ibanez SB900 LE Fretless 1990
    White MIM Precision
    Hondo Deluxe Series 860 (Flying V) 1980s
    Browning Custom

I know it's a bit obsessive but what can I say. I love bass guitars!! When I was a drummer I didn't care whether the guy in front of me was playing a Ricky or SX (and I couldn't have told you the difference). But there is something ethereal about the feel of a bass guitar in my hands. And I must admit sometimes late at nite I creep downstairs to my musical lair and just stare at all the instruments hanging on the wall and get a real non-chemical high (about the only kind of high I do get these days ;-).

It's been a great year for a 50-year-old guy. I've rediscovered my passion for music. I'm playing in two bands and know about 40 or more songs (passably).
    I've played a live show in front of several hundred people .. I've played hundreds of shows as a drummer and this was the only show I was so nervous that I couldn't feel my own fingers.

I'll never be a virtuoso on the instrument. But that's not what I'm aiming for at this point in life. I'm too busy with 5 kids and work to get that much practice time in. If I get 15 minutes every day to play I'm a happy camper.
    I've surpassed the goals I set for myself in year one.
    In year two I want to learn my instrument even better. Maybe to even be able to improvise? And to learn how to play a fretless.
    And I've finally learned it's not the mass of your bass collection. I have actually getting starting downsizing instruments the last month or so and I would like to get rid of a few more.
    I would (finally) rather have a few good basses other than many so-so ones.
    And what do I desire most?
    1) Ricky
    2) Ibanez Musician
    3) Fender Jazz

Maybe at the end of year II I will be able to add one of those to the collection.
    It has been a very good year (musically at least ;-)

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow...and I felt bad posting about how I couldn't get rid of a couple of the basses that I own...and I own 6...

4. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    dude you have the worst case of gas i have ever seen.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you had gone through 43 in a year and had been playing for 20 years, I'd wish you a happy hunting in search of THE bass. But you've only been playing for a year, so it's totally possible you don't know what you want and without spending extreme amounts of quality time with each instrument, you're probably only impeding that process.

I've been through 13 basses in 7 years, and I always seem to have 6 or 7 in my arsenal, and I still feel like it's too much, but I can't find just the right bass...yet.

Keep a p-bass, a jazz bass, a fretless, and another bass or two, and get rid of the rest (unless there's a sentimental reason to keep them). Save the money, put it in a high-interest savings account and keep saving until you find the bass that really speaks to you.

Or, a couple years down the road, get a custom.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Wow you're like LCW!!!!

7. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Wow, I've been playing for 3 years or so and I feel bad for owning a MIM Fender Fretless Jazz, Hwy 1 Fender Jazz, Ric 4003, and a EBMM Sterling, Fender Bassman 300 pro, GK 1001RB-II, Ampeg 810, Carvin 210. Thank you for making me feel better about myself.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It took me about 4 years to go through 40+ basses (Ken Smith, Lakland, Warwick, G&L, Music Man, Modulus, Sadowsky, etc., etc.) and that was after 20 years of playing a few others. I blame mine on a tone quest. I think you should pick a couple and take a couple years to learn how to play before you become obsessed with acquiring basses.

9. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well, I'd say you can justify getting one more. I mean, there are months with 31 days and with the current collection you would have to play one bass twice in a month. It can get boring to spend 30 minutes on one instrument within a month :)

Just joking, it's nice that you have found something you are passionate about and can afford to do what you please. But don't be surprised if some people get a bit bitter..

Edit. Ps. can we get a picture of that wall-of-drool?

10. There are worse addictions to have. You are hereby the Emperor of GAS.

No pics, no basses!

11. sirpug

sirpug

May 8, 2008
    Everett Wa
    Wow

Just wow.

That is all I really have to say. I'm speechless.

Can I have a loan? :bag:

12. No pix no basses. We won't believe you have these basses until you post the pix. Sorry, them's the rulez.

13. I'm speechless....
    Sounds like a pathology...
    I've always found it much easier chasing gear than chasing competence, but when you get down to it, it's your playing that counts. Still, good for you for giving yourself the chance to try out all those axes. They're a LOT cheaper than mistresses.
    One final word, don't forget what Hindemith said: virtuosity begets only virtuosity!

14. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Hey man, you love it, you do it!

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you have the means, then good for you! Seriously. I wish I did.

However, how about approaching this from another perspective? Personally, I have no idea where I'd get the time to buy, sell, and adequately demo 43 basses in a year because I have so little free time. You said you're in a situation like mine - lucky to get 15 minutes a day. I'd guess you might be better off putting more time to practicing than time supporting "the habit" ;)

Anyway, I'm not going to go so far as to call you looney, but it looks to me like you're more gear obsessed than you are with progressing as quickly as you could. Even if I had that kind of money, I'd have a hard time getting that into buying and selling that many basses simply because of the amount of the limited free time I have it would eat up. I'd rather spend that time with my kids or getting in a little more practice time each day - or both.

But that's just my opinion and we all know what THAT'S worth! ;)

16. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    if it makes you happy and inspires you- i say do what you do. i am almost a half century old myself and when i think about ex-spouses, bad stock plans, real estate disasters, 40basses is chump change..and anyways the good ones will go up in value. I can think of a million worse things to obsess about.

17. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA

+1

That's a wall I'd like to see ;)

18. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Wow, quite an addiction. It seems people here have quite similar views about how you should go about dealing with this "problem," but you haven't said anything that makes me believe you find it to be a problem. I hope you can find some happiness in each bass, and that buying basses doesn't impede on the financial needs of your family. In having so many, have you though of starting a school:p

19. JOEP054

JOEP054 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lynbrook, NY

20. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    All hail the Emperor of Gas. We all are humbled by your Gassyness!