onstage FAIL

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Smooth_bass88, May 31, 2021.

1. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    6A021E8B-F816-4252-9093-21F17B7E42F9.jpeg

2. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Might as well for all the attention people pay to bassists anyway. Unless you’re singing. This one is not singing.

R&B, BassGuyFL, obimark and 10 others like this.
  3. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I look best in that mode. Or better-yet an off-stage iso booth.

jerry, pcake, joe vegas and 7 others like this.
  4. cmcbass

cmcbass Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I'm more appalled by the lack of shoes.

5. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Good eye, good eye!

6. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I admit I'm guilty... but my cheat notes are off stage, I have a wide brim hat that casts a shadow over my eyes, and outdoors I wear sunglasses so no one knows I'm a cheating whore that's old enough to have short term memory problems....

As for bare feet... never... but I'm guilty of a different sin in those regards..... upload_2021-5-31_16-29-34.png

BTW... I'm going to plug the hats... hopefully it's legal... There's a Swedish guy in a little town called Staples Minnesota that makes them for me... Barmah Hats.. Great guy... Fun to talk to... and they can make hats for guys with heads the size of a watermelon.
    Barmah hats.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    M0ses, Gazman, FFFH242 and 16 others like this.
  7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    The lack of shoes and presence of a mobile device seem at odds with one another

8. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I mean maybe his eyes are bad? I know some people that gig their tablet at that height and they happen to be singers. I have seen a few who have both a phone and a tablet up there. One has a setlist, and one has the chords and lyrics.

But yeah, the lack of shoes things is a little strange. If I get one pebble, rock, or piece of dust on the bottom of my foot, I have to get it off immediately.

dkelley likes this.
  9. I think it's brilliant. Remember all of the speculation after Abbey Road was released about Paul being dead? This is the same thing! The bassist has what looks to be an angel shaped music stand with white paper (presumably sheet music) on it. His face is obstructed from view by this. (An indication of being covered in righteousness?) He is shoeless and isn't wearing a hat (or cargo shorts. Trousers are mandatory for entrance into heaven.) Those who catch these clues will undoubtedly spread the rumors and the band's popularity will skyrocket. Or not. After all, bassists are invisible. :D

10. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Why do you need a tablet for a live show?????

I'm a hack, but can still play a gig without looking at a tablet or sheet music.

11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I never understood why people sight read live instead of just learning the songs

12. I think I could be in a band with someone with no shoes before I could be in a band with someone who needed an iPad on stage...:smug:

13. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020

Having played many wedding and corporate gigs with rotating musicians, on more than one occasion I have found myself at gigs where I was the only member of the rhythm section that had prepared or charted the song along with the record. It is a nice insurance policy to have the format and tricky bits on paper.

So I understand why people use them since as a bass player you can’t really just play quieter if you don’t know the song. I have seen Guitarists and keys people just sort of fade away when we get to the complicated part of the song that is beyond the first minute of the tune.

I am sure he has his reasons, but why so close to the face?

14. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    least he's not wearing shorts.

Timmy Liam, Crusher47, R&B and 9 others like this.
  15. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    What's that SM58 shaped object for?

16. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    Poor guy has just be stricken by Alien and all’f yous just noticed he has no shoes….

17. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    When I played Seussical The Musical my bass book was 158 pages. I thought about learning it but then, nah...:roflmao::smug:

Mr_Moo, Fondsdale, logdrum and 19 others like this.
  18. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    At least have the tablet down low where it cant be seen as well

19. The other possibility is that he's showing off. He may be advertising that he's not a hack and can actually read music.

logdrum, R&B, MattZilla and 8 others like this.
  20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I'd prefer to be playing behind a screen. When I see people looking at me is when the voices start...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021