1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opeth

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by stevetx19, Oct 7, 2010.

1. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    greatest band?

good gravy my last 2 hours of musical enjoyment have been fantastic...

2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Maybe not greatest...but definitely up there.

3. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    greatest is subjective...It's more a comment on how amazing it is to sit and listen to amazing music for 2 hours. The affect it can have is indescribable. two hours of Opeth and all that came to mind in english was "good gravy"

4. Great live band I'd like to add as well I saw them last year and they were great. Akerfeldt is a great frontman.

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Awesome band. Martin Mendez is a pretty cool bassist.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Awful live band, interesting-but-not-enjoyable on record.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

I will say there's nothing like listening to or seeing a great band. It can be a seriously euphoric experience.

7. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    This popped up on my Netflix suggestions:

0728102326.jpg

8. lowend219

lowend219

Sep 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love Mendez's tone. Its articulate but still with plenty of low end punch. Who says metal bass needs to be robbed of all its low end?

Just listened to all of "Damnation" earlier this evening. Its obviously not the typical Opeth record but its still one of my all time favorite albums. Mendez plays some sparse but very tasty stuff on there

9. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    From oldest to newest, i think every album has a greatness to it. Obviously some more than others. I think Blackwater Park and the change of sound they had from that point was amazing though. Heavy as crap with brilliant chilled out moments. 2 hours is not long enough to admire their sexiness. =P

10. +1 to almost everything said. They're my favorite band. Before Opeth I was listening to pretty brutal death metal tunes most of the time, then Opeth came along and showed me that something can be beautiful and yet brutal at the same time. Best song? Deliverance. Fo sho.

11. YYZDMV46&2

YYZDMV46&2

Jul 5, 2010
    Milton GA
    Best Album? Orchid.
    simply beautiful.

12. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Ive seen Opeth three times and they're great live, so much so that I've taken non metal heads to their shows and they've enjoyed it. Its also nice to be able to hear the bass at a metal show so props to Martin and their soundman.

13. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Best album? [DEL]Blackwater Park[/DEL] Still Life. Blackwater Park is a close second.

14. NielsBass

NielsBass

Apr 30, 2010
    I think Bassguitar is getting more and more on the foreground in metal (and other music) these days.
    Which is a good thing IMO :)

15. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    +1

16. Oh, two hours of Opeth... so I guess you must have only listed to about 10 songs :smug:

They are easily one of my favourite bands. Very talented musicians.

I always think of Mikael's voice as what Satan would sound like if he was in a band, but since he is Satan, he also has the voice of an angel.. haha

17. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I listened to Orchid earlier today...
    Definitely good stuff! :)

18. Opeth are amazing, there is no doubt. I bummed a smoke from Mikael outside the palladium in worcester. Didn't even realize who he was until my buddy flipped his whig. Hell it was dark and I was wasted, gimme a break.

Thats it for my name dropping, pathetic as it is.

"My arms, your hearse" FTW IMO YMMV ETC

19. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    fantastic band! Akerfeldt is easily my favorite vocalist of any genre. Go listen to his death metal band Bloodbath, he sounds even more evil there :hyper:

20. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    I have to fix my last post, their best album is Still Life.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021