1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinion on an MTD endorsement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noonan768, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    Have been offered an endorsement from MTD Kingston series basses. This company is based out of my hometown and endorses a good friend of mine.
    I typically play Schecter basses. The Elite series. I love them.
    The deal with MTD would get me a great price on their products, including strings.

So..

Do I take the deal?

What does everyone think of the product?

2. I dig em, and if you get bumped up to USA thats a damn good endorsement

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Depends. Do you actually like those basses, and would use them? Do you like them enough to have your name associated with them?

For me, if I were in your shoes and had something I loved and played constantly (i.e., my EBMMs) and MTD came to me with an offer, I would have to turn it away, as I don't play MTDs and I can't see myself playing them, even if I got them at reduced cost. That's me though.

4. Considering that you will have to pay something for the basses AND have your name associated with them......what do YOU think of the product? You've played them, right?

5. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    I have played them. I thought they were nice. But they were different and a little more than I wanted to spend at the time that I was purchasing my 5 string.
    So I got a deal on another Schecter and went with that instead.

But now, there's this offer. It's a very good deal. And definite publicity. So....

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Do it. It won't require you to play them exclusively will it?

7. It may not feel as good as the Schector because you're not used to it.

If you like the tone, give it a try, play it exclusively for a while and see how you like it then.

Sometimes "different" is better, but feels worse because its just unfamiliar.

Randy

8. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    It would require me to only be photographed with my MTD basses.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I still say do it for a while, reap the benefits of the publicity and cheap gear and if you are unhappy with the product after a few months quietly drop your endorsement.

10. Do it. Just bring the MTD and your Schecter to the gig. Get a couple of pics with the Kingston and then switch off to your old bass.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If you have to BUY the gear, I can't see that the endorsement amounts to anything short of an insult.

That's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Check out what a real endorsement deal is like sometime.

I wouldn't be seen onstage with it, nor with a Schecter.

12. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    Actually, most endorsement deal require you to pay something. At least the cost of the instrument. The freebies are saved for the platinum selling artists who get lots of exposure. Not a regional act like me. So a real endorsement deal is exactly what I will get from them and what I have from Clayton as well.

As for your dislike of the brands... Different tastes are fine. I have brands I wouldnt touch either. But I stand behind mine. And so do a lot of the talk bass members.

13. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    FWIIW I love my MTD Kingston, a very fine instrument. But, as others have said you need to play what speaks to you. Everyone is different.

14. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    If you liked the MTD and as you said could not afford one when you got the Schecter, and are in the market to buy a new bass now, then the question is why not? If you don't like it and are not looking to buy new gear then it is a bad trade. You won't be getting a new bass and still have to only be seen with theirs. I think you should counter offer them and ask for no discount but a free bass. It's not a take it or leave it. It's a negotiation, which most guys don't realize. Just like buying a car, some people haggle and some people take the first offer.

15. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    agreed - never heard of any 'regular' (ie not real famous or somehow linked to the company) bassist getting gear for free regardless of their endorsement - usually cost on basses, discount on other stuff - and plenty of free schwag..... of course :bassist:

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The endorsement deals I personally know of are far better than that for non-charting recording acts.

I personally wouldn't want to be associated with marginal brands unless there was significant compensation, but more to the point, I'm reminded of a long article on endorsements I once read in one of the major mags, the burden of which being that these are best avoided unless there is really significant compensation beyond the free-gear stage.

They're getting you for nothing here.

You're getting a discount I can beat on Amazon (where MTD was dumping product at twenty cents on the dollar), and a public association with B-brand product.

I just don't see it as any kind of a smart move.

Yeah, that's fine, but you're missing the point: These are marginal brands in terms of public recognition and pro status. It's not about whether or not I personally like these basses or not. In endorsements this is the central issue, not quality. You should research this sometime. It's kind of interesting...but most of it's just common sense.

If you're a pro, or just have pro ambitions, remember my rule:

Never let anything second-rate be associated with your act.

At least not unless you're being handsomely paid for it, and you won't be until you're fairly high up the ladder.

17. fep

fep

Oct 5, 2011
    San Diego
    Seems to me the company is actually selling you product that you wouldn't have bought otherwise. Even just from that part of the deal they're making money; they're making money even if you don't bring in any additional business.

It may be called an endorsement, but that sure doesn't seem like a true endorsement to me. More like a scam.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Pretty much how I see it.

This is to endorsements what paying to be on compilation CDs is to recording contracts. ;)

19. Are you in the position of getting any mods from the company? I used to own several US MTDs which were just awesome instruments. But i also had a cheaper Asian made MTD which had cheap sounding pickups and electronics. I bet you'll need to swap these after your first gig or recording session. :)

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Haha somebody here has obviously never met a sponsored player. You know that unless you sell like 10000 basses a year or your the face of their company, you just get stuff at cost.

Here is another question for you. Who do you think pays for your rider to get filled? Because it comes out of the band's pay. Yeah that was a shock for me the first time....