1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinion wanted on this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommy Tourbus, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus

Dec 26, 2008
    What do you guys think of the pickup placement on this bass?

Some on another board have criticized the placement of the two pickups as being too close together, but I'm wondering if this was intentional to focus on the 'sweet spot'. It is a shortscale 30" 8 string.

[​IMG]

2. Soundclips?
    Looks fine, but how does it sound? I would guess pretty good.

3. Neck pickup seems a bit far back, but with all the actives on that bass, you should be able to dial in about any sound you want...

...cool bass, BTW...won't see yourself coming and going with that!!

4. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus

Dec 26, 2008
    no clips available unfortunately. the bass isn't local, so i'm not able to hear it. Just wondering what peeps here think of the pickup placement, as some on another board (a guitar board) are calling it a 'flaw'

i'm thinking they may be well-placed as it appears to be the 'sweet spot' just wanted others opinions.

5. Too close together for what? Do they claim the pickups are redundant? :rollno: The pickups in that bass can be identical put still sound differently because they are placed in different locations, even if only 1.5" or 2.0" apart. Don't listen to what the critics say.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Ths is the problem right here, what the **** do they know about it.....

The bass is absaloutly fine, the pickups will sound different, lots of builders, and bass models, have pickups close as this.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    This one sounds great, but then I'm just a bass player. I don't have the level of talent needed to know what something sounds like from a picture on an internet forum like the guitarist sages you mention.

6okcgsj.

If you have no experience with the electronics, it's helpful to be aware that in these old BC Riches they often don't work, or have been replaced with simple vol/tone controls while leaving the now useless knobs and switches. If you are sure they do work, you can disregard that, but I'd want to make certain before buying. I was lucky mine worked, bought on Ebay and the seller swore they did, but that's no guarantee.

I've found the electronics provide a near infinite array of bad sounds, and a few (perhaps several depending on your tase) that vary from useable to awesome.

8. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus

Dec 26, 2008
    the pickups on yours are spaced further apart which is how these dudes were saying they should be.

I'm thinking it may be a benefit and not a flaw though, as the neck pickup is closer to the sweet spot that way?

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'm not sure a human could tell the difference. When you add other instruments and the sonic mess of any live situation, I doubt a reasonably advanced alien robot could tell.

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I wouldn't call the routing a flaw but more of a necessity. Compare the bridges on both Biches and you'll see why they were routed differently.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

What matters isn't anyone's opinion - it's how the bass sounds. People obsess TOO MUCH over pickups, placement, etc. There are plenty of great sounding basses that break every rule some online pundit will espouse.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only way those pups would be "too close together" is if you wanted the sound of a J bass. Tell you what, too, if you decide you don't want to take the gamble, PM me with the details and maybe I'll buy it. :bassist:

13. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus

Dec 26, 2008
    I believe it can do a j sound as some of the toggle switches will coil-split.

Already got the ball rolling on the purchase BTW :hyper:

However, there were two of these available. If you are seriously interested, PM me and I will point you in the direction of the other one.

14. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

That's an 8-string B.C. Rich Bich bass from the 1970s. The pickups were put there for a reason. They are not too close together, at least for this bass. As the OP said, they're in the "sweet spot."

This bass sounds awesome, deep and rich. Like a P-bass on steroids. Unfortunately I don't have any sound clips. I wish I did. I wish I had that bass, but they sell for about $4,000 used. You can still get them new, for about $5,500.

Bye the way, most of the people on 'The other boards" who claim the pickups are too close together don't know anything about basses, electronics, building basses or even playing. They just like to criticize.

15. some has to explain to me what all of those knobs and switches do!

16. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus

Dec 26, 2008
    two of the switches activate two onboard pre-amps, two are coil splitters, one is a phase switch, one is a standard 3 way toggle, the knobs are standard volumes and tones. the chicken head knob is a 4 or 5 position varitone.

17. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Ive never touched anything like this bass, but I'll have to say it looks frigging cool. And the only flaws you should be worried about are the ones you hear with your own ears and feel with your own hands, in my opinion.

18. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I like Koa wood basses.

G

19. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    They look cool.

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes. The "sweet spot" moves every time you fret a note, anyway.