Featured Orange Amplification Launches Updated O Bass

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 16, 2022.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Orange Amplification launch the new, updated O Bass, retaining all the best features from the 2015 model, enhanced with improved characteristics.

Launched in 2015 to critical acclaim, the orange O Bass is easily one of the most colourful bass guitars on the market. It remains easy to play and very versatile with its classic single cutaway body shape, tone options and an unorthodox split-coil pickup position which produces the bass’ warm deep growl and fatter higher register.

The 2022 makeover means the O Bass now plays even better than before. The lightweight African okoumé wood body has a resonance that transfers well through the custom-wound split-coil humbucker pickup and gives articulate high end and tight low end notes. The purpleheart fretboard gives the instrument flawless balance whether played seated or standing. The re-tooled fretwork and neck moulding improves playability; funky octave swoops have never felt more natural. The classic black headstock and binding all around the instrument adds to the O Bass a premium feel.

Designed in the UK by Orange, the O bass is suitable for all types of music including Soul, R & B, Reggae and Rock. It is supplied in a padded gig bag with the iconic Orange logo and comes as standard with an alternative 3-ply scratchplate.

The Orange finish comes with brilliant white scratchplate and alternative black scratchplate.
    The Black finish comes with creamy ivory scratchplate and alternative tortoiseshell scratchplate.

The O Bass is available in the UK for RRP £399 and in USA street price $549. To find out more please go to orangeamps.com/o-bass/

Orange_OBass2022_Lifestyle_photo.jpg Orange_OBass2022_black_tortoiseshell.png Orange_OBass2022_orange_white.png

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    cool! I have never played an O bass, but have always heard good things.

3. Very nice looking bass. I wish their copywriter would learn how to spell nickel properly.

Killing Floor likes this.
  4. I wish it was short-scale and with a reverse P pickup.

5. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Gold Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    Nice, I really liked these, but were very hard to find. I may get one of the new models now.

One line of the marketing has me scratching my head though:
    What does fingerboard material have to do with balance?

6. DCGuy

DCGuy

Apr 12, 2016
    Washington DC, USA
    It’s really the “neck moulding,” whatever that is.

comatosedragon likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Purpleheart is prized for it's balance enhancing properties. In ancient times it was often hewn into "sitting sticks that the elders would use to maintain a seated position whilst sitting.

Seriously cool basses, though. I waited too long last time they were available. Want a black one.

8. crunchysock

crunchysock

Dec 29, 2011
    I bought one of the first run models off ebay for like $200. It was perfect, except the listing said the electronics didn't work. Someone had one of the pots twisted so it pulled out the wires. 10 minutes, in and out, and it was as good as new.

I really liked the bass, it played good and sounded even better. I ended up selling it off, but immediately regretted it. I might buy another this time around.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Kinda looks like a Jazz type neck at the nut, but the specs say "43mm" ( 1.69" ).

10. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    This bass struck a chord (I know bad pun) but I was unable to obtain one until I found out about the new limited run.I definitely wanted an orange color.It has a very unique tone imo,that I really like.It also came with a black pickguard but I've yet to choose. 1661109203089534648688965012096.jpg

Killing Floor and comatosedragon like this.
  11. Nebraska

Nebraska

Jul 25, 2021
    Nebraska
    I went with the black model. Looks classic.

WW2PT likes this.
  12. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Either way you can't go wrong.What do you think of the sound?

13. Nebraska

Nebraska

Jul 25, 2021
    Nebraska
    I like the sound. Haven't had a chance to really whomp on it, but it's aggressive enough and sounds different from my p/j.

kevmac likes this.
  14. I have an orange one, the old run (no binding and a slightly off-white headstock).

It's really, really, really nice with flats, not so much with roundwounds though it's still nice (a bit bland, perhaps), but with flats it's got great tone. Here's a recording of it for a song I'm producing with my band, with Pyramid Gold flats (with a very thumpy and muted E string): Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

I put in an SPB-1 which was a slight improvement to the original pickup (but it's not a necessary upgrade in my view) and shielded the cavity with copper tape, and I also bought a pair of 250K Alpha pots to go with the pickup (500K would yield more top end resonance, but 250K sounds more traditional for a P-adjacent bass). The lad who sold it to me had lost the white pickguard, so I had one cut, but I wish I had noticed the off-white colour of the headstock, because the pickguard now doesn't match. It's also sporting a white pickup cover (which is more in tune with the headstock, with a slight yellow tinge). I'm thinking of lightly staining the pickguard with coffee, I've been told it actually works quite well.

It does neck dive, but with a suede strap it stays put, the neck is a bit wide for my tastes (but I have small hands and I really love narrow necks with little taper) so I tend to use it only for recordings, but I could easily see myself using it for band rehearsals or live.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  15. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I wish they'd kept the cream headstock.Other than that I'm very pleased so far.I really like the pickup and I'm the type to change them usually.I may look at different caps but I'm loathed to change the tone.

16. I bought it already with a Fender Yosemite pickup (which I didn't like, I found it a bit scooped). I tried the original pickup and it was better, but then for kicks I bought a SPB-1 and it's a good pickup, so I don't really see why I should bother installing the original pickup now. Especially since I have two split coils in a box and I don't know which is which :roflmao:

kevmac likes this.
  17. megarat

megarat (Not My Real Name) Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2013
    PNW
    It looks like a Creamsicle. In a good way.

kevmac likes this.
  18. Orange sent me one of these to review and I really did not like it. I've never had less fun playing any bass ever. The neck is crazy thick, and the balance is just awful. It sounds fine, but if you just want the P bass sound, there are thousands of other better instruments for that.

19. boilingTheDead

boilingTheDead

Oct 15, 2018
    Why on earth is it NOT short scale?

20. Black matches the IC-7300. :thumbsup:
    de ww2pt . .