1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oscillating Fuzzes/Distortions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been interested in picking up one of these- right now the Catalinbread Teaser Stallion 2.0 or the Red Witch Fuzzgod II are at the top of my list. Anyone have any experience with them (oscillating fuzzes that is)? I'm looking at it as more of a way to get a fuller, synthy tone like you can hear in the recent Catalinbread TS video rather than making silly noises, but are they controllable enough to be of a lot of use?

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    No idea on the Catalinbread. But I'm going to go ahead and suggest something else, the Fuzzhugger AB-Synth. The oscillation is stomp-controlled, and it really is a fantastic sounding fuzz on its own, too. It has a very wide range of oscillation pitches, including down into the deep bass ranges. The control was precise enough that I was able to more-or-less dial in whatever pitch of oscillation I wanted, which would come screaming back in whenever the decay between notes went below a certain threshold. Very awesome effect.

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Add to the list: Zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz

Bass friendly, and capable of pure madness.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've seen those around TGP, but haven't heard any clips on bass- did you ever make any? The Red Witch has a second on/off stomp switch for the oscillation as well- the newer version of the Catalinbread uses a toggle switch (the old version of it had a second stomp switch). The second stomp seems like an easier way to control it as I'm sure I wouldn't want it on all the time, but the Catalinbread is the only one I've heard on bass and know it sounds good. I should note that I'm not too concerned about losing bottom end though- I'd be using it as a lead-type tone.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Never new that was oscillating- I'll check your site for a review.

6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Don't look too hard, I've never done it. It's been sitting here for better part of a year, and I really have no idea how to get it done. Too many knobs!

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You've FAILED me, grygrx :sigh: The only way you can make it up is by selling me your Blueberry....:D

8. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Heh, sold! My paypal is...

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just tried to send $300 to "..." and my payment was rejected. Ah well :meh:

10. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Unfortunately not. I ended up having to sell it pretty quickly to offset an impulse buy of a Moog LPF. I don't know of any clips with bass, but if you're not all that concerned with bottom end, then this guitar one does show off a lot of the oscillation possibilities:

This one is the standard XO-sized one. He also makes the same thing in a smaller, MXR-sized box for 10 dollars more.

11. 3XFX Fatman

Recommended :bassist:

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the link- the downside of guitar samples is that even when low end isn't concerned, they usually don't sound similar to a bass in the upper register. The AB Synth did sound really usable though- it didn't go totally apepoop the way some of the oscillating pedals I've heard go.

13. The Goose.

Trying it this weekend.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Saw your thread on that one- it didn't appeal to me because A. the oscillations seemed pretty wild/out there and B. I hate those foot controlled side knobs.

15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    3Xfx Fatman/V2 is great. The photo eye is very controllable, especially because everybody in the room will start playing with it whenever the pedal is turned on.

16. This

and

I was too scared it would blow my cabinet up. It's definately interesting in the utmost of great ways.

17. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    I ordered one of those oscillating supercolliders a while back. It was either that one, the fatman v2 or the tortuga sasquatch @ the top of my list based on clips. I'll letcha know what I think of it once it comes in next month.