1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Other Instruments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tejano Joveno, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Tejano Joveno

Tejano Joveno

Jun 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Probably been done before, mods delete this if it has, but do any of you TBer's play any other instruments? Aside from the obvious I also play trombone and tuba. You guys?

2. I play drums (my first instrument) and half-fake my way through piano and guitar.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Piano was my first instrument when I was 4.
    I quit when I was 7 to play Flute.

At 14 I started playing bass and guitar and haven't put the bass down!

4. Doodling in guitar, piano, ukulele, mandolin and banjo

I play a pretty mean kazoo as well. :D

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Saskatchewan
    I'm waiting for the delivery of a 7 string guitar. Hurray for extended range instruments. :hyper:

6. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    guitar hero

just kidding i play bass lines on guitar and a few chords i learned to try to write songs with

7. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Well guitar, violin, trombone, baritone(euphonium), trumpet, french horn, piano, drums, alto, can dabble on tenor. At a point I was learning oboe and english horn but not enough to compete with real players.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I used to play cello & would like to start playing it again. I mess around on guitar and piano. I've got my guitar tuned B-C, so I use it as a piccolo version of my 6 string bass.

Double bass is what I played throughout high school and what I relearned how to play in college. I consider myself a doubler.

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Got all my formal and classical training on Clarinet/Bass Clarinet. After 7 or 8 years of that I had had enough. But I still have trouble not thinking in clarinet fingerings and reading bass clef as treble...

10. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The drums were my first instrument, and I am drumming my current band. When The Levee Breaks changed my life :D

11. Trombone, Tuba. French horn, you know, funny how many Stringed Bass players came from Trombone ,Tuba, background. Although I had an Electric Bass before starting the others in Junior high.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I little Guitar, Piano, Thumb Piano, Didgeridoo, Djembe, Singing Bowls. The last four aren't that challenging, although I haven't gotten down the circular breathing for the Didgi.

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I also played hand percussion, but the fire that ate my old gear also ate my drums. I had stopped and was going to sell them, so there went about $800.

14. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'm trying to learn guitar too, and some things from bass help the learning process and some things don't. For instance, when I first started playing, my dad (violinist +40 years) kept telling me it was sharp, but when I checked the tuning it was fine. Turned out I was just pressing so hard on the strings that I made it go sharp.

15. I rock a gnarly tambourine.

16. piano/keyboard and played clarinet in grade school. Also I can pretty much "pick things out" on what ever instrument you hand me..

17. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    [​IMG]

I'd like to play something exotic and unique like this.

But, in reality, it's guitar, singing, some keys and a smattering of percusion and drums.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to Miscellaneous, where music related discussion belongs.

I play a bit of piano, and used to play saxophone as well. I still sing a fair amount.

19. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Guitar and drums, some flute. I nowadays only play bass in bands though.

20. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    This past spring, I discovered the Native American Flute (NAF).

The cool thing about this instrument is that it is tuned to a single key, and typically, the primary scale is the minor pentatonic (plus the octave).

So basically, you have only six notes to work with which means your timing, phrasing, and rhythm take on a much greater role.

Playing the NAF has been an eye opening experience that I'm hoping will transfer to my guitar and bass playing.

D