1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Out of the box"" set up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by beezyboss, Apr 2, 2013.

1. beezyboss

beezyboss

Mar 17, 2013
    Hey all I'm new to the forums here, and I'm also only a few months into bass guitar and I love it so far!
    Anyway I ordered a warwick rockbass from musiciansfriend(anyone buy mailorder before?) And I was curious if for any reason they would include strings? Also as far as set up goes I don't trust myself, would anyone recommend bringing it to a shop or is it straight forward enough to read through it? Sorry I'm a little bit jumbled, yall. Seeya around

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Welcome. The guitar will have strings on it. Unless you have ordered a new set or there is some kind of special promotion that will be the only set of strings in the package.

Setups on mail order instruments are variable. Guitars get a decent setup before they are shipped to the retailer. Almost always this can be improved upon. As a new player, it may or may not make a difference to you. How the guitars are stored, for how long, and through which seasons will all have an effect. Most of those effects will not be good.

Go to the top of this page. Read this: All Basic Seutup Questions Answered Here. By reading these you will become familiar with the process. Then assess your skills as a tool user. Here's a quick clue. If you have to think of where your tools are, you're not a tool user. If you are handy, try to do a set up. If you're not, take it to a professional technician. After reading the above, you will be able to talk to the tech and intelligently convey your ideas about how you want the guitar to play.

3. ancientrocker

ancientrocker supporting member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi,
    Welcome to TB
    Even if you take it to a professional tech you will need to acquire some tools. A feeler gauge used to gauge points on a distributor in a car is a must. Get a set (they come that way) with large, long gauges and make sure you have one in the set that's .015 thick. Next you'll need a metal ruler that shows 64th's. An allen wrench that fits your truss rod and several screwdrivers both standard and phillips, and different sizes. Buy a capo for guitars. You'll need a good electronic tuner that shows cents, both negative/flat and positive/sharp. And then find instructions on the web or here at TB for doing a proper setup. The cost will pay for it's self in no time. Good luck.:)